Author Topic: mtb alloy budget wheels?  (Read 634 times)

MArbogast

mtb alloy budget wheels?
« on: October 08, 2023, 09:36:37 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am building my first mtb bike and I am looking for an alloy wheelset. I have seen many choices but I am running in a really small budget.

I would like that they are 29", about 25 mm (for a 2,25 tyres) 12 speed hub and tubeless ready.

I saw the X1900 by DT-SWISS, but I would like to know if there is something cheaper. I have seen the ZTTO wheels but I couldn't find info about them and I saw they are no tubeles ready.

Any experience abour chinese wheels? any cheap wheelset recomendation?

Thanks in advance,

jannmayer

Re: mtb alloy budget wheels?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 01:15:35 AM »
It might be worth checking the used market. There should be some wheelsets out there that people have taken off when upgrading.

MArbogast

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 01:54:15 AM »
Ok. I guess it is better not be risky with wheels.

Thanks for your reply!

nicklej

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 04:24:54 AM »
It also helps to post what your budget is so people can provide useful recommendations.
I think the first comment is the best advice, check out the used market. Often the first owner takes all the depreciation when they sell and you as a second or third etc buyer don't lose as much when the time comes for you to pass them on too :)

00Garza

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 10:25:46 AM »
Check your local used market. FB market place, offer up, etc.

If you're in the states, Pink bike is a good option as well.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3365396/

Just bought a fork from this seller.

Froglover825

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 07:33:17 PM »
Honestly for alloy wheels you're better off on the used market since people buy carbon wheelset and then get rid of their stock aluminum.
On the road i've picked up secondhand fulcrum racing 5's with 11s shimano cassette + tyre for $100 aud.

AzureEssence

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 08:22:17 AM »
At China prices you may as well just go carbon

I'm considering getting a set of Elitewheels MTB wheels off Ali if they have a sale. Do they do big sales on 11-11 or Black Friday?

Boybiskit

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 02:38:34 PM »
So many options to consider but the Shimano hub / WTB rim deals on Bike 24 are pretty good, e.g. https://www.bike24.com/p2415009.html

I bought something similar when building my son's bike. It worked out cheaper that anything I could find locally even with shipping and duty added. I would trust the hubs on these more than some of the Chiner options.