Author Topic: Customs / VAT Europe  (Read 989 times)

jj

Customs / VAT Europe
« on: October 08, 2023, 02:41:56 PM »
Hi, I'm considering ordering a frame from Speeder (SC-R52D). I got quoted $954 for the whole thing (although the quote was for the wrong frame, SC-R49D) and wondering about how much I need to add for Customs/VAT. I'm in Finland and I assume things are a bit different depending on the country but at least some more general questions:
  • When ordering to other Finland or other European I assume you more or less always have to pay customs?
  • Do you pay customs on the full price of the frame? Or does the seller mark some lower price on the package?
  • Other experiences around this. Things to do to minimize the amount of hassle / the amount you need to pay :)

Wet Noodle

Re: Customs / VAT Europe
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 04:29:45 PM »
Not sure how my experience from Germany translates to Finland, but here we go. I don't know about customs tariffs (product-specific duty), but with that high of a price tag, it's probably not nothing. Then expect import tax being roughly 20 % on the "product value", where the product value refers to whatever you paid to get the thing into the country (usually: price + shipping + unknown duties as mentioned above). Usually, the shipping provider that does the importing for you will also want some money for that (in addition to the shipping you already paid for).

Declaring lower values on the box used to be huge on ali (and China imports in general). But the customs people aren't idiots ... or, errrr, I mean, even if, they know that trick and might or might not request some kind of receipt (CC bill or something). Not sure how much of that has changed with new EU import regulation stuff(?)

Now the important bit: If the seller, by any chance, offers a shipping method with customs handling included (you pay for it upfront, that is), it's usually the best course to just take that. Often faster, potentially much less hassle and usually not more expensive (sometimes even cheaper because of whatever logistics magic they can use (and you as a private person can't)).

jj

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 08:45:33 AM »
Thanks. Will check if the seller can handle it.

Have had to pay VAT etc. for stuff I've ordered from the UK. But everything from aliexpress (mostly smaller stuff) has gone through directly, even after the new import regulation. And yeah, at least in the past things were marked down a lot. If the seller can't handle it I guess I'll just have to try and see

Wet Noodle

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 01:31:45 PM »
But everything from aliexpress (mostly smaller stuff) has gone through directly, even after the new import regulation.

That's not too surprising.

Sellers from Not-China are usually much more careful about that stuff :D

As for the rest: Before the change, you might have had some kind of import duty and/or tax threshold below which importing was more or less free anyway. Above that, it was just a gamble, statistically speaking, depending on how lazy the customs person was or the moon phase or whatever (where goods going through without anything basically meant tax fra*d ;) ).

Nowadays, there is no more threshold for all of the EU. Ali (and several other bigger vendors / market platforms) will collect import tax up to a price of 150 € (or thereabouts) on behalf of the country that the goods will be imported to (and everything is just taken care of automatically). For me, import tax is already included in the prices I see, and I think that's basically the same for all EU countries. Only if these prices are above 150 €, import tax will be subtracted upon checkout (making it my responsibility again).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 01:33:22 PM by Wet Noodle »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 01:29:09 AM »
Has anyone tried ordering the bigger items without paying the tax upfront? I am sometimes wondering what the chances are nowadays that customs intercept the package...

I now always use the Seller Shipping Method with prepaid tax...

Kristiaan

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 03:18:31 PM »
For EU countries buying from China.  You do not pay any extra tax under 150euros.  For larger amounts choose seller´s shipping, this is done by DPD.   It is an easier and cheaper option.  I have done this on all larger items, wheelsets, frames, power meter.   The order comes straight to your door.   No customs forms or payments,   all is already done by DPD.  Reliable service.  Actually proves cheaper as well!

Payment done by Paypal but using my debitcard, not having ( or wanting ) a Paypal account.

I had no problems so far. 

Wet Noodle

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 04:44:05 PM »
For EU countries buying from China.  You do not pay any extra tax under 150euros.

That's not quite true. Importing from China into the EU, you do have to pay import tax regardless of the goods' value*. The threshold you mentioned refers to customs duties (which are a different thing).

EU import tax is roughly 20 % with slight differences between member states (same as the country's VAT); import duty rates are often quite a bit lower, some in the single digits. Just don't import anything subject to anti-dumping rates, those range between high and completely off the charts.

However, Ali prices (up to 150 €) for EU customers already include EU import tax. So, you won't notice anything (apart from maybe stumbling upon how Ali's US prices are often quite a bit lower, almost as if there was some kind of price fcukery going on).

*) In practice, there might be some tax-free threshold in your country due to bureaucratic/cost reasons. For example, if I recall correctly, they don't charge import tax amounts smaller than 5 € in Germany (which should translate to a de-facto tax threshold of ~26 € goods' value).

mcav

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 06:08:01 PM »
Don't forget that technically, the EU applies an anti-dumping charge to carbon bike components (including frames) from China that goes up to 48.5%. I paid it once for a pair of handlebars in Germany. However, as others said, the safest bet is to opt for DPD/pre-paid duties. ask the seller if isn't immediately available at checkout

ENEP

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 01:06:00 AM »
Don't forget that technically, the EU applies an anti-dumping charge to carbon bike components (including frames) from China that goes up to 48.5%. I paid it once for a pair of handlebars in Germany. However, as others said, the safest bet is to opt for DPD/pre-paid duties. ask the seller if isn't immediately available at checkout

The anti-dumping charge should only be added to complete bikes from China, not parts.
Looking at TARIC and the goods code for frames and forks, and parts thereof made of carbon and sent from China there is no anti-dumping, only duty of 4,7% and your countrys VAT.

Example from Swedens TARIC:
https://tulltaxan.tullverket.se/#!/taric/measure/mcc/search?sd=2023-12-19&d=I&cc=8714911025&ad=&co=CN&cu=EUR&l=en

I agree with you, the safest and easiest bet, most often, is to opt for DPD/pre-paid options.

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2023, 09:01:07 AM »
The anti-dumping charge should only be added to complete bikes from China, not parts.

That's right, you can import separate carbon parts, frames(unpainted) and rims, no problem.
The anti-dumping is about steel and aluminum, and since most painted frames are from these materials, even if they are carbon, they fall into the anti-dumping category. Don't try to understand...
Many bike shops and small builders are exempted, I tried to find the way to get an exemption but gave up.

A friend bought a frame, got the anti-dumping, paid it. I told him to complain as it was unpainted(clear coat, but it was disputable).
He provided all the proofs. But the pesky guy on the other side said: nothing proves the frame he's showing to them now was the one in the box  :o

maza

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2023, 11:20:07 AM »
Looking at TARIC and the goods code for frames and forks, and parts thereof made of carbon and sent from China there is no anti-dumping, only duty of 4,7% and your countrys VAT.

Example from Swedens TARIC:
https://tulltaxan.tullverket.se/#!/taric/measure/mcc/search?sd=2023-12-19&d=I&cc=8714911025&ad=&co=CN&cu=EUR&l=en

I agree with you, the safest and easiest bet, most often, is to opt for DPD/pre-paid options.
TARIC 8714911025 can only be used by importers who are approved for exemption from the anti-dumping and have the relevant document to supplement customs declaration. In this case you should use TARIC 8714 9110 35.

Anti-dumping tarif is applied to wide range of bike parts.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 11:24:29 AM by maza »

maza

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2023, 12:00:36 PM »
To counter false information in this thead I compiled list with links of all components that are applicable to 48,5% anti-dumping tariff. Basically all major components are subject: finished frames and forks, handlebars, complete wheelsets, drivetrain and brakes.

Frames and forks, only if: painted, anodised, polished and/or lacquered
8714 91 10 31
8714 91 10 35
8714 91 10 39

8714 91 30 35
8714 91 30 39

Free-wheel sprocket wheels
8714 93 00 19

Brakes (excluding coaster braking hubs and hub brakes)
8714 94 20 99

Brake levers
8714 94 90 19

Crank-gear
8714 96 30 90

Handlebars
8714 99 10 89
8714 99 10 99

Derailleur gears
8714 99 50 91
8714 99 50 99

Complete wheels with or without tubes, tyres and sprockets