Author Topic: Flared (aero) handlebar: What width in comparison to regular handlebar?  (Read 872 times)

heljan

Hi everyone,
I ride a regular handlebar 400mm wide. I am considering testing a flared (aero) handlebar. The width of these handlebars usually refers to the width in the drops.
What width should I consider when choosing a flared one? Any recommendations? What are your experiences?

Thanks!

PLA

Re: Flared (aero) handlebar: What width in comparison to regular handlebar?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 06:34:49 AM »
May I ask which ones you're looking at? I might be interested in picking up a set myself.

My alu bars are 36 on the tops and 40.5 on the drops, I'd like a 6cm difference. 36 top 42 drop.
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

ENEP

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 07:59:44 AM »
The new BMC teammachine R has a similiar approach.  ICS Carbon Aero features the same width on all available dimensions:
• 360 mm at the hoods for aerodynamic efficiency

• 420 mm at the drops for perfect control

Bar Facts and Figures
Reach: 72.5 mm

Drop: 135 mm

Flare 12.5°

Length / Width mm
80 / 420
90 / 420
100 / 420
110 / 420
120 / 420
130 / 420
140 / 420

Stem Facts + Figures
Stem Length
80 to 140 mm

Stem Angle
-15°

nickobec

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 08:17:27 PM »
Hi everyone,
I ride a regular handlebar 400mm wide. I am considering testing a flared (aero) handlebar. The width of these handlebars usually refers to the width in the drops.
What width should I consider when choosing a flared one? Any recommendations? What are your experiences?

It depends on personal preference. Do you prefer to ride on the hoods or the drops and what width do you prefer?

Personally, I do like riding in the drops and roll my wrists in, so I want my bars to be around 380mm at the drops,  400mm maximum, even on my gravel bike.  At the hoods 360mm is fine though it took a little getting use to, could go a little narrower at the hoods, but yet to find the right bars at the right price.

So my experience playing with a few different bars with widths from 360mm to 460mm, is I don't like a lot of flare.

jonathanf2

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 08:30:19 PM »
I predominately climb, descend and I like to ride out of saddle. I prefer the flared drops because it allows me to lean forward and apply forward momentum when sprinting uphill. With non-flared drops my knees can sometimes hit the bars. On fast descents I have more stability and can position low on the bike with my back flat. I'm in my drops more than I would be on non-flared bars. Only problem is that you'll probably be less aero on the flats, but it really depends on your terrain and riding style.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 08:32:11 PM by jonathanf2 »

heljan

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 12:29:39 AM »
Thank you for your thoughts.

My bike fitter recommended me the 400mm width and I feel comfy with it. I got an older bike which has a 380mm handlebar but I mainly use in on the trainer or when my other bike is in the garage; anyway, the smaller width is OK but I notice that my elbows tend to "latch in" while I stay more relaxed on the wider bar.

I live in a rather flat, wavy at the best, environment but with lots of wind (the sea is not too far away). I usually do longer rides (4-5 hours) and I hardly ever participate in competitions.
I like riding in the drops especially when fighting the wind but I tend to switch often because there is traffic, traffic lights or crossings where I need full control. I guess, in the end, I am riding most of the time on the hoods.

@PLA: Nothing in particular, yet. Read some articles and reviews.

@jonathanf2, I don't have the "knee hitting bars" issue but your thoughts on stability are helpful. Usually, I go low against the wind but stay in the saddle; I don't feel very comfy sprinting or accelerating on the drops.
So, I might stick with my 400 on the hoods and go slightly wider on the drops!?

jonathanf2

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 04:21:01 PM »
@jonathanf2, I don't have the "knee hitting bars" issue but your thoughts on stability are helpful. Usually, I go low against the wind but stay in the saddle; I don't feel very comfy sprinting or accelerating on the drops.
So, I might stick with my 400 on the hoods and go slightly wider on the drops!?

For the way I ride and the elevation in my area, I opted to forgo the aero benefits of narrow bars for more out of saddle leverage and stability on the climbs/descents. I ride with other cyclists who only use the the hoods and I consider it a big waste regarding bar positioning. I feel the drops should be the default position when putting down the watts. I only ride the hoods when I'm taking it easy. I feel like there are probably like 6-7 positions you can use holding your drop bars. I also feel like I can breath easier with flared bars when pushing an extreme sprint.

Sakizashi

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 10:57:44 PM »
I think it depends on what you are going for. If this is going on a bike where you ride mostly in the hoods but want more ability to keep the front wheel where you want when descending, i would match the hood width and go wider down below. If you want a more aero postilion on the flats without changing your descending, go with the width the same half way between the end of the drop and the hoods; right where you put your hands when covering the brakes.

I personally run a moderate flare Vision road bar on the gravel bike (41cm C-C at the drops and 39cm C-C at the hoods, labeled as a 40cm) as I didnt want a big difference between the drops and the hoods.

On the road I run an Enve SES Aero which is 35cm C-C at the hoods and 40cm C-C in the drops. They were the narrowest aero bars I could find 2 years ago and are the best bars I have ever used in the aero hoods position. They are comfortable and with a little work they definitely helped me get a much faster aero position. They do not negatively affect my ability to climb or sprint.

Today, Speeder has a bar with similar dimensions to the Enve bar, but I would love to go even narrower with a 33cm hoods / 38cm drops bar.

PLA

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 07:06:38 AM »
Today, Speeder has a bar with similar dimensions to the Enve bar, but I would love to go even narrower with a 33cm hoods / 38cm drops bar.

Wow not all heroes wear capes, thanks for the speeder shout, exactly what I'm looking for. Legend.

It's not exactly what you want but exs has a bar that's 34 top 36 drop.

PLA

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 08:44:01 AM »
Nice bbc by the way.

Meh 2cm flare pretty standard.

My rose bars are 36 tops and 40.5 drops. Pretty sweet for sprinting. Dunno why they ain't more popular. Only 20 European crabshells also.

https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-race-attack-gf-aero-drop-bar-721017

PLA

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 04:28:29 AM »
I think it depends on what you are going for. If this is going on a bike where you ride mostly in the hoods but want more ability to keep the front wheel where you want when descending, i would match the hood width and go wider down below. If you want a more aero postilion on the flats without changing your descending, go with the width the same half way between the end of the drop and the hoods; right where you put your hands when covering the brakes.

I personally run a moderate flare Vision road bar on the gravel bike (41cm C-C at the drops and 39cm C-C at the hoods, labeled as a 40cm) as I didnt want a big difference between the drops and the hoods.

On the road I run an Enve SES Aero which is 35cm C-C at the hoods and 40cm C-C in the drops. They were the narrowest aero bars I could find 2 years ago and are the best bars I have ever used in the aero hoods position. They are comfortable and with a little work they definitely helped me get a much faster aero position. They do not negatively affect my ability to climb or sprint.

Just ordered the speeder bar.