Author Topic: Powermeter pedals (Cycplus?)  (Read 1026 times)

Powermeter pedals (Cycplus?)
« on: October 22, 2023, 06:12:34 PM »
I know Magene make some pretty nice spider crank based powermeters, but I'm wondering if any chinese brands currently offers pedal based powermeters?

Shane Miller does mention that the Cycplus at Eurobike 2023 booth seemed to have some sort of prototype here https://youtu.be/CxBxJ4zWe5s?t=288 but I couldn't find anything about them anywhere. If anybody knows more about it please share infos/news here :)

nickobec

Re: Powermeter pedals (Cycplus?)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 09:56:49 PM »
As far as pedal based power meters for accuracy, reliability and user servicing of bearings it is hard to go past Favero Assioma. I would not gamble on another brand like Cycplus, until they are proven for accuracy, reliability and bearing replacement, ie at least a year after their release.

Couple years back Favero had a Black Friday sale, got a Duo direct from Favero for the price of a Uno locally (Australia). So if you want a cheaper pedal based power meter you might be in luck.

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 10:14:49 PM »
Yea I've had assioma duo for years now, and surprisingly the price for them has either stalled or went up on all websites. They're super accurate and the battery is still good even after 3+ years. I'm just curious about other option since I've been pleasantly surprised to hear about the magene crank based powermeter being so reliable and all. That and Favero doesn't make SPD powermeter pedals AFAIK. I know Cycplus demo didn't show a mtb pedal, but it would be interesting to see if any chinese company is currently prototyping pedal based powermeters. I think there's a market.

raisinberry777

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 11:14:16 PM »
There's no doubt that by far the best power meter pedal option on the market is the Favero Assioma - relatively cheap, lightweight, accurate - all you need in a power meter.

However, after four years of Assioma Uno ownership I went to replace the bearings, only to find that the existing bearings were absolutely shredded to the point where they had worn into the axle and both pedals had to be binned. The electronics are bonded to the axle so unfortunately they could not be saved.

Favero offered 100EUR off a new pair of Unos, so for the same price I decided to go with the Magene PES instead on a new bike to get dual-sided power for roughly the same price and go back to my preferred Shimano pedals. Moral of the story here is that if you get the Faveros, make sure you replace the bearings at regular intervals. They're pretty cheap and it's very easy to replace them.

nickobec

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 08:10:42 PM »
Favero doesn't make SPD powermeter pedals AFAIK.

There is a well known hack for converting Favero Assimo Uno/Duo to SPD, GPllama has on YouTube the conversion process and I believe a long term review.

Also Favero Assimo Duo Shi are compatible with at least one Shimano SPD pedal body. I keep threatening if I can get some Assimos cheap I will convert a pair to SPD. That said given the damage from rock strikes using my Assimos on my gravel bike, I should use  crank/spider based off road