Author Topic: New IP 036, some day...  (Read 11594 times)

Sitar_Ned

Re: New IP 036, some day...
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 09:10:53 AM »
Awesome looking ride, ponderosa!

I'm 6'1" and would definitely get bars wider than 680mm.    The 1x10 setup (or 1xwhatever you want) is money!~

I agree completely with the above. I'm 6'1" and went with 711mm wide bars and it feels perfect. I could possibly see going to 720mm but then perhaps I'd have issues with tree strikes on the tight Arkansas singletrack. And yes, I freaking love the 1X setup! Looking forward to more options coming out. Have you considered doing the one up rear derailleur cage and sprocket mod to get a little extra gear range for the climbs?

ponderosa

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 02:03:44 AM »

what do you think of the wheels? and the RCT3? and could you tell me how to set it up, having a really hard time doing it to mine
    You mean to say your having a hard time with the RCT3 not the whole bike right?  I don't know squat about setting them up, and my rear shock is, apparently, crazy adjustable too... so there's a education in suspension coming up for me.
Guys I've been out of real biking for 3 or 4 years so I just don't much reference points to identify where the improvements are coming from.   Everything about this ride is so vastly superior to my Homegrown 26"..

35mm OD wheels are stiff and seem super strong.  In final analysis, I'm glad I did the 35mm vs the 30mm wheels (tire contact/volume etc.).   The 29" wheels benefit from wider bars imo, like 700-750mm.  (just ordered Chromag Fubars OSX Handlebar).   
This bike simply flys.  It eats up the terrain.  The RS Revelations were a fairly expensive part , but the RS Rev seems very supple now that its been ridden a few times and when dialed in I think its going to perform really well.  They do add some weight over the SIDs others are using, but this XC wants to moonlight as a all mountain.  But I can tell you the Cane Creek DB inline and the RS Revelation RCT just make this bike supple.         

What was your final build cost?  Always good to post up your final cost for anyone else looking to build a a similar bike.

Don't take my build cost to seriously, I had some help with some bike shop connections (didn't get wholesale, but definitely less than retail on about 2/3rds of my parts.   The other third I got at online outlets in CA and England.
630   frame   XMIPlay  ip 036
500   Fork   RockShox Revelation RCT3 Fork, 29", 120mm, Solo Air, ML 15, MoCo DNA 3- Pos, Crown Adj, Tapered, 51mm Off-Set, Dif Black
285   Rear Susp   Cane Creek Double Barrel InLine Rear Shock, 165x38mm (6.5 x 1.5")
65   HandleBars   Chromag  780mm
   Headset   Neco XMIPlay

58   Stem   Thomson Elite X4 Mountain Stem 70mm 90 Degrees 31.8 1-1/8" Threadless Black
22   Grips   Ergon GS1-L Racing Grips: Large Black
38   Saddle   WTB Laser V Pro Saddle Black NiCro Rail
180   Dropper   KS LEV DX Dropper Seatpost, 31.6, 125mm Travel, Black

20   Bash Guard   Race Face Light Bash Guard, 32t x 104mm Black
22   1x10 single chain ring   RaceFace Narrow-Wide Single Ring 32t x 104 Black
6   Allow 180mm on 160mm setup   Shimano F180P/P2 Disc Brake Adaptor
39   Front Rotor   Shimano XT RT86M 180mm 6-Bolt IceTech Disc Brake Rotor
35   Rear Rotor   Shimano XT RT86S 160mm 6-Bolt IceTech Disc Brake Rotor
100   Rear Brakes   Shimano XT M785B Pre-Bled Rear Disc Brake Kit Metal Pad 1700mm Hose
100   Front Brakes   Shimano XT M785B Pre-Bled Front Disc Brake Kit Metal Pad 1000mm Hose

32   Pedals   MSW CP-200 Platform/Clipless Pedal Sealed Bearings Black/Silver
8   Cleat   Wellgo WPD-98A Cleats, SPD Compatible

580   Wheelset/Hubs/spokes   XMI Play 35mm Carbon hookless, Novatec, Sapim

42   Cassette   Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette
80   Tires   Maxxis Ardent Tire 29X2.25 LUST/UST Folding Black

25   Chain   Shimano XT HG95 SIL-TEC 10 Speed Chain
0   Front Derailur   
62   Rear Deraillur    Shimano XT M786 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech
76   Trigger shifters   Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Trigger Shifter  I-Spec B
140   Cranks & BB   Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Triple Chainset

3,145    TOTAL

Have you considered doing the one up rear derailleur cage and sprocket mod to get a little extra gear range for the climbs?

I crammed so much junk in my brain while researching for this bike, I know I saw that one up mod somewhere, but can't remember exactly what/where it was.   Please give link if its not much trouble for one up mod.  Adding a gear would be great!

I have a friend with a 25lb XX1 Pivot, hoping to swap with him and gauge some comparisons/impressions soon.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 02:47:19 AM »

I crammed so much junk in my brain while researching for this bike, I know I saw that one up mod somewhere, but can't remember exactly what/where it was.   Please give link if its not much trouble for one up mod.  Adding a gear would be great!

davidd used the mod in his build: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,475.15.html

There's more info on a thread around here somewhere but I can't find it at the moment. Basically it's a rear cog (40t I think) that you install on your cassette, and you also pair it with a one up derailleur cage that fits Shimano shadow plus derailleurs. If you check out the above linked thread and scroll down there's some really good up close pics of the whole set up. The one up aftermarket parts are the lime green components. Hopefully he'll be updated that thread with impressions of that specific set-up.

Arraider

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2015, 02:55:45 AM »
Ponderosa, yes i meant setting the RCT3, it works just fine, just can not get the SAG and whatever adjusted to a point i feel ok with the money i spent. Coming from a FOX and it was way easier to set up. Mine seems to hard and slow to respond.

davidd

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »

davidd used the mod in his build: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,475.15.html

There's more info on a thread around here somewhere but I can't find it at the moment. Basically it's a rear cog (40t I think) that you install on your cassette, and you also pair it with a one up derailleur cage that fits Shimano shadow plus derailleurs. If you check out the above linked thread and scroll down there's some really good up close pics of the whole set up. The one up aftermarket parts are the lime green components. Hopefully he'll be updated that thread with impressions of that specific set-up.

Hi ponderosa, with OneUp you have a choice of 42 or 40 tooth cog and the RAD or RADr cage.  The Cogs come with a 16 tooth cog which you use to replace the 15 and 17 to smooth out the gap.  The Rad cage is simply a replacement outer cage sized between a long and medium Shimano cage.  The RadR replaces the entire cage and shifts the central point of the top jockey wheel to a different point than the standard Shimano cage.  With the original OneUp setup the B screw needed to be screwed all the way in to allow the cage to clear the larger cog.  With the RADr cage it hardly needs any adjustment.  As soon as I get some quality time on it I will post an update on my thread.