Author Topic: Winter bike groupset  (Read 511 times)

Aradell

Winter bike groupset
« on: November 07, 2023, 06:42:14 AM »
Hello,

I’m in the process of converting an old aluminium hardtail into a winter bike/beach race bike. The bike is currently equipped with a 3x10 setup, flat bars, and hydraulic disc brakes, all from Shimano. However, I’m planning to switch to drop bars and a one-by setup.

I’m looking for the most cost-effective way to convert this bike into a 1x10 or 1x11 with an 11-42 or 11-46 cassette. Given that the current derailleur has a maximum cassette capacity of 36t, I’ll need to install a new derailleur and shifters.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to keep the hydraulic Shimano disc brakes in combination Ltwoo or Sensah shifters.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

00Garza

Re: Winter bike groupset
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 08:20:00 AM »
The surly corner bar knockoffs are a good way to keep costs down if you don't mind the odd shape.
You can keep your brakes, and get a shimano mtb groupset on Ali pretty cheap.

coffeebreak

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 09:28:08 AM »
When you say hydraulic disc brakes you mean just the calipers or calipers+levers both? If it's the former then yes Sensah LTwoo both use similar setup as Shimano (BH59). If it's the latter, then only way you could do it is to use any MTB group and buy the corner bar replica as mentioned above and transfer your old levers and calipers to new bars.

Aradell

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 01:43:34 AM »
Thank you for your input.

To clarify, I want to keep the calipers and replace the levers with road levers since i prefer a standard road (or gravel) handlebar. So, if I understand correctly, both Sensah and LTwoo are compatible with Shimano calipers?

I’ve come across mixed reviews for both Sensah and LTwoo groupsets. Based on the forum, which one generally performs better?

00Garza

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 08:50:30 AM »
I don't think theres a ton of users here with Sensah hydro yet. Quite a few of us jumped on the Ltwoo group when it released. I'm using the GR9 group on my gravel bike. Arrived with a faulty right (rear) shifter and had to wait for the replacement. I've ridden and raced the group and it has performed well.

Ergonomics on the hoods seem to be the issue or perk for many. I like it as it is similar to Campagnolo which I had on my road bike back in the day.