Author Topic: yuananbike forged gravel wheels  (Read 478 times)

chineesje

yuananbike forged gravel wheels
« on: November 07, 2023, 08:02:58 AM »
Hi all, yuananbike is offering some good deals on their wheelsets at the moment because of 11.11. I have been looking at their GRO2 gravel wheels (wich come in at about 470 dollars shipped to europe).

The one thing I'm unsure about is the forged rim finishing. It looks really nice but does it have any disadvantages in comparison with the standard Uni Directional weaving? I can't find a lot about this on google, anyone with experience on this topic?

Second option are their UNI rims (essentially the elite edge wheels), but they are about 100 dollars more expensive and I'm worried they might be cheaper on Ali if the 11.11 sale and coupons drop. Any help and tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

RDY

Re: yuananbike forged gravel wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 06:17:34 AM »
That's a purely cosmetic layer on top of the UD rim.  Forged carbon is a stupid marketing term anyway, it just refers to a molded (instead of laminated layers) thermoplastic composite with bits of carbon in it.

It adds weight.  In this case it's just a few large strands of UD carbon suspended in what looks like a pretty thick coat of gloss finish resin.  I'd guess it adds minimum 30g and perhaps as much as 40g per rim.  Looks cool though.