Author Topic: Aliexpress Frame - Gravel Bike  (Read 920 times)

chinacurios

Aliexpress Frame - Gravel Bike
« on: November 10, 2023, 08:37:47 AM »
Hey Everyone!

First post but I have glanced on the site for a little while.

To make a long story short - I recently suffered from loosing my bike from my bike rack (gravel bike) and then I also suffered from the shimano recall on multiple bikes.

I am a huge DIY guy and service every aspect of my bikes and I am kind of fed up with main stream stuff.  I want to try and build a chinese bike (gravel) and had some questions about a frame I found on Ali that fits every criteria I want/have.

I don't care that its a "scott" knock off - its the geo and integration that is exactly what I need.  The seller is very old and crazy responsive - is there anything else I should look for/do?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805813051230.html?pdp_npi=3%40dis%21USD%21US%20%24800.00%21US%20%24632.00%21%21%21%21%21%402101c5c216986738778255663e05d8%2112000035245936578%21im%21%21&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

jonathanf2

Re: Aliexpress Frame - Gravel Bike
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 09:58:05 AM »
Hey Everyone!

First post but I have glanced on the site for a little while.

To make a long story short - I recently suffered from loosing my bike from my bike rack (gravel bike) and then I also suffered from the shimano recall on multiple bikes.

I am a huge DIY guy and service every aspect of my bikes and I am kind of fed up with main stream stuff.  I want to try and build a chinese bike (gravel) and had some questions about a frame I found on Ali that fits every criteria I want/have.

I don't care that its a "scott" knock off - its the geo and integration that is exactly what I need.  The seller is very old and crazy responsive - is there anything else I should look for/do?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805813051230.html?pdp_npi=3%40dis%21USD%21US%20%24800.00%21US%20%24632.00%21%21%21%21%21%402101c5c216986738778255663e05d8%2112000035245936578%21im%21%21&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Ask A LOT of questions. Get a spare derailleur hanger if possible, make sure they face the brake mounts properly and double check there are no headset issues. You'll probably run into small issues regardless. Also get one of those internal routing cable kits. Don't over torque the BB especially if you plan on using a threaded PF bottom bracket. Overall though it's extremely satisfying putting together your own bike.

chinacurios

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 10:21:03 AM »
Ask A LOT of questions. Get a spare derailleur hanger if possible, make sure they face the brake mounts properly and double check there are no headset issues. You'll probably run into small issues regardless. Also get one of those internal routing cable kits. Don't over torque the BB especially if you plan on using a threaded PF bottom bracket. Overall though it's extremely satisfying putting together your own bike.

Thank you for your response!

I have a couple questions to your post and appreciate your time.

1.Face the brake mount properly - these are flat mount calipers, are you saying to just add a note to ensure all face mounting is done?  I am sure I can rig something up if not (I have some machining background)

2.When you say "double check there are no headset issues" what do you mean by that? - As in are you saying to ask the seller or when you receive the bike check for bearing fitment? 

I will Endoscope the frame/fork/bars when I get it to see how the layup looks and if there are any crazy wrinkles/bubbles/delamination/resin pooling.  I also plan on using a BBinfinit PF bottom bracket (huge fan of this company), are you saying generally these Ali or Chinese frames are weaker in this area?

I have been asking lots of questions to the seller and they are stellar and quick with responses.

Thank you again for all the help.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 10:23:39 AM by chinacurios »

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 01:31:28 PM »
Thank you for your response!

I have a couple questions to your post and appreciate your time.

1.Face the brake mount properly - these are flat mount calipers, are you saying to just add a note to ensure all face mounting is done?  I am sure I can rig something up if not (I have some machining background)

2.When you say "double check there are no headset issues" what do you mean by that? - As in are you saying to ask the seller or when you receive the bike check for bearing fitment? 

I will Endoscope the frame/fork/bars when I get it to see how the layup looks and if there are any crazy wrinkles/bubbles/delamination/resin pooling.  I also plan on using a BBinfinit PF bottom bracket (huge fan of this company), are you saying generally these Ali or Chinese frames are weaker in this area?

I have been asking lots of questions to the seller and they are stellar and quick with responses.

Thank you again for all the help.

These are just general preventative measures to ensure your bike build goes smoothly. If you plan on having the frame painted, sometimes the overspray might cause the caliper alignment issues, though that can happen with mainstream frames as well and this is something I always ask the seller so they can send me photos. There are a few posts on here regarding headset issues with internally routed frames. I would just make sure everything fits properly before going on your first test ride. I don't think the frame will have any BB problems, I have an AliEx BB86 road frame myself that's been rock solid. Lastly make sure you have all the right grease, carbon paste and a preset torque wrench as well.

I'd also ask for pictures prior to shipment just to make sure everything is in proper order.  I've had a pretty smooth track record with AliExpress, though there's always a bit of risk involved especially if you're the small percentage with defective frame issues. So it's best to mitigate any problems beforehand. Best of luck!

Chiyou

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 02:39:18 PM »
Sorry to hear about your bike woes! Here are some potential pitfalls that you might want to inquire about if you haven't already.

1. Saddle clamp - make sure the clamp is compatible with your saddle rails (some rails are round (7x7mm) while others are oval (7x9mm))

2. Handlebar dimensions - since this frame comes with an integrated handlebar, hopefully the stem length, the bar reach and drop are to your liking

3. Chain ring - this is only a concern if you are considering a crankset with a large inner chainring, but if in doubt confirm with them that there is enough clearance between the chainstay and your chainring

chinacurios

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 04:54:37 PM »
Sorry to hear about your bike woes! Here are some potential pitfalls that you might want to inquire about if you haven't already.

1. Saddle clamp - make sure the clamp is compatible with your saddle rails (some rails are round (7x7mm) while others are oval (7x9mm))

2. Handlebar dimensions - since this frame comes with an integrated handlebar, hopefully the stem length, the bar reach and drop are to your liking

3. Chain ring - this is only a concern if you are considering a crankset with a large inner chainring, but if in doubt confirm with them that there is enough clearance between the chainstay and your chainring

This is some great advice!  I didn’t think about the saddle rails although I think it is using the Ritchey style clamp.  I’ve already gathered all the information on the handlebar so we are good there, but great point on chainring size.

Does anyone have advice on trying an Ali crankset?

I’m about 185-190lbs with 300ftp and 1400 1-sec or snap power.

I’ve always ran shimano (Ultegra or Dura-Ace), and prefer 24mm spindle but am willing to try anything.

Chiyou

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2023, 09:23:49 AM »
From what I know, the two main players are Senicx and ZRace as far as el cheapo cranks are concerned. The Senicx ones can be had for quite a bargain currently.

Senicx PR3 - 24mm axis - $58.39 minus $8 11.11 discount - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805631093003.html
Senicx PR2 - 29mm/DUB axis - $62.03 minus $12 discount - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805631095989.html

This seller only has 165/170/175mm crank arms; the 172.5mm version is available from other sellers.

Edit: the corresponding 1x versions are called GR3/GR2.

ZRace only offers a DUB crank, I believe. Here's a random link, other sellers may have better deals (also, this link includes a bottom bracket, which you may not want).

ZRace RX - 29mm/DUB axis - $93.15 minus $16 discount minus 2% coins if you have any - https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800869512390.html

On the Shimano side, I'd look at Merlin Cycles (~$118 for the R7000/R7100 cranks, for example); free shipping and no tax if I'm not mistaken.
https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/road-bike-chainsets-75285/?brand=shimano

Can you tell I was in the market for a crankset myself? I ended up buying the Senicx PR3 myself, but then again I don't have a sprint.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 09:28:23 AM by Chiyou »

chinacurios

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2023, 07:18:51 PM »
I pulled the trigger and ordered the frame!

I will try and post pictures after I get it.