Author Topic: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame  (Read 26308 times)

ldavies

Re: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2024, 01:35:05 PM »
Good afternoon: For my part, no problem in that matter.
The only thing about the entire assembly that is giving me any problems is the issue of anchoring the saddle. I had an Elita One carbon saddle installed but it was giving me some discomfort so I changed it for a Prologue Scrath M5 with round rails. I have tightened it to 15N and even today when I went over a bump it moved a little. It occurred to me to use blue Loctite applied to the entire area and see how it goes.
Blue loctite is for threaded applications.  Will not help you with this.
Generally carbon saddle rails are 7x9mm dimension and steel are 7x7mm so your seatpost saddle clamp might not be sized right for your saddle rails.  Some seatpost saddle clamps are specific to 7x9mm or 7x7mm and some are not.

smu55

« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2024, 03:04:56 PM »
1. You plan to route 4 housings through the bars & stem using this https://jagwire.com/products/diy-cable-kits/2017road-elite-link-brake-kit? Having routed 4 VB bikes with keb-sl housing (full internal), i really dont think it's possible, so very curious to see how you manage that.

2. If i had extra spacers like that under my stem, i'd probably run an extra long plug expander to spread the forces over the widest possible area. Leverage is a thing, so if you hit a bad pothole, you're at a materially higher chance of cracking the steerer if you run tall chimneys like that. That's also going to add another sharp bend to the routing.

3. so the frame is 1060g and they advertise 950g. Did you ask if the 950 is a raw carbon weight? Primer & paint done by VB is going to add weight, idk if it adds 100g, sounds like a lot, but I'd say >50g. At which point a 50g variance is 5% of the advertised weight, i guess it's within spec? When you order rims, if it weights 460g, the seller typically says +/- 15g, and a rim is a lot less intricate than a frame.

My built is finally finished. At the end I opted for only twoo of largest spcers, one from my extra spacer kit (I know, its the same hight, but less hassle).
When I tried to assemble the handlebar with the 4 cables I quickly gave up the idea of using my used link cables. The thight space in the handlebar lead to gaps between the links, so I ripped it out and used the jagwire road kits instead.
I don't like how velobuild routed the cables underneath the stem. They dont run internally, inside the stem, but underneath of it in a canal. So there is a even tighter bend between the fork and the handlebar. I even had dificulties running the inner cables through the housing when reaching the bend. They got stuck, and I had to loosen the handlebar again.
It would have been better if the cables run inside the stem. They would have more space for the a bend with a biger radius.
It was a big hassle, but at the end everything is working well.
7,8 kg with Sensah Empire pro, onirii/iiipro cable/hydro disc brakes and elite edge wheels.

Serge_K

« Reply #182 on: April 01, 2024, 04:19:17 AM »
Very nice, well done! let us know after a few thousand kms how the whole thing feels.

patliean1

« Reply #183 on: April 01, 2024, 02:38:47 PM »
My first look video is live on the channel.

YouTube Search: Velobuild 268 First Look - My excitement for budget frames has returned
https:// youtu.be/SKZo17VVuEk?si=lfH6xQdDkYU3oMDy

https://youtu.be/SKZo17VVuEk?si=lfH6xQdDkYU3oMDy

RasmusWH

« Reply #184 on: April 01, 2024, 02:42:25 PM »
My built is finally finished. At the end I opted for only twoo of largest spcers, one from my extra spacer kit (I know, its the same hight, but less hassle).
When I tried to assemble the handlebar with the 4 cables I quickly gave up the idea of using my used link cables. The thight space in the handlebar lead to gaps between the links, so I ripped it out and used the jagwire road kits instead.
I don't like how velobuild routed the cables underneath the stem. They dont run internally, inside the stem, but underneath of it in a canal. So there is a even tighter bend between the fork and the handlebar. I even had dificulties running the inner cables through the housing when reaching the bend. They got stuck, and I had to loosen the handlebar again.
It would have been better if the cables run inside the stem. They would have more space for the a bend with a biger radius.
It was a big hassle, but at the end everything is working well.
7,8 kg with Sensah Empire pro, onirii/iiipro cable/hydro disc brakes and elite edge wheels.

Looking good. Just ordered two 268's and two pair of Elite Edge Wheels as well.
How many spacers did is included with the frame? Did you have to purchase extra spacers?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 02:44:49 PM by RasmusWH »

Cnasta

« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2024, 08:23:49 AM »

YouTube Search: Velobuild 268 First Look - My excitement for budget frames has returned

Thnx Pat! Not a great fan of the color, but really looking forward to your build, especially regarding the routing of the cables around the headtube/fork.

pearl

« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2024, 05:43:36 AM »

As someone who currently runs a 140 stem on his setup and wants to see that fsa 69 headset on this frame, get to work! i need to see if it looks good or not ;)

patliean1

« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2024, 08:57:19 AM »
Prepared to be disappointed  ;D

I run a 140mm -12 stem on my Allez Sprint, paired with a set of carbon bars from Prime Bike Components (76mm reach).

The problem with running the FSA no69 headset system in this particular build is I can't get my overall stack height low enough, and I don't have a spare 140 stem. Only a 130mm -17. Thankfully I bought a spare set of Prime bars before they stopped shipping to the USA.

Currently my bar selection is an integrated cockpit I had from a pervious TanTan build. 120mm stem, 84mm reach, -10 angle. Brands grossly mis-measure the stem length on their integrated cockpits. From the compression cap bolt to the center point on the top, rather than to the imaginary stem faceplate. Essentially the stem on a 120mm integrated cockpit is more like the equivalent of a 130/135mm length traditional stem.

So with a bar reach of 84mm, an effectively 135mm length stem, and the fact I don't really need spacers going this route, the integrated cockpit will get me much closer to mimicking my Allez Sprint than a separate 140mm stem/bar FSA 69 combo.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 08:59:52 AM by patliean1 »

InsaneDawe

« Reply #189 on: April 03, 2024, 12:50:51 PM »
Good night

After 500 km with the bike, I can say that I am very satisfied.
I leave some photos of the final assembly

What size tires are you running?

pearl

« Reply #190 on: April 03, 2024, 01:16:06 PM »
Prepared to be disappointed  ;D

I run a 140mm -12 stem on my Allez Sprint, paired with a set of carbon bars from Prime Bike Components (76mm reach).

The problem with running the FSA no69 headset system in this particular build is I can't get my overall stack height low enough, and I don't have a spare 140 stem. Only a 130mm -17. Thankfully I bought a spare set of Prime bars before they stopped shipping to the USA.

Currently my bar selection is an integrated cockpit I had from a pervious TanTan build. 120mm stem, 84mm reach, -10 angle. Brands grossly mis-measure the stem length on their integrated cockpits. From the compression cap bolt to the center point on the top, rather than to the imaginary stem faceplate. Essentially the stem on a 120mm integrated cockpit is more like the equivalent of a 130/135mm length traditional stem.

So with a bar reach of 84mm, an effectively 135mm length stem, and the fact I don't really need spacers going this route, the integrated cockpit will get me much closer to mimicking my Allez Sprint than a separate 140mm stem/bar FSA 69 combo.

I got another 140 -6 Zipp for you, but it isn't the prettiest ;)

I really want to keep the bars/stem there own thing, exactly for the reasons you mentioned! Can we at least get a mock up with that setup!? For some reason this is very important to me lol

trytogo

« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2024, 02:32:05 PM »
Thoughts? Will it be possible to jam mechanical hydraulic Sensah or Ltwoo in this frame.... just a pain in the rear to route but ok after that or not possible at all.

Just about to pull the trigger on this frame or the lcr0x-d (timemachine copy) and was going to go ER9 but worried about all the issues.

Serge_K

« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2024, 03:34:33 PM »
Thoughts? Will it be possible to jam mechanical hydraulic Sensah or Ltwoo in this frame.... just a pain in the rear to route but ok after that or not possible at all.

Just about to pull the trigger on this frame or the lcr0x-d (timemachine copy) and was going to go ER9 but worried about all the issues.

i've built a VB168 with Sensah (4 hoses), the 268 is the same infrastructure, so yes you can run mechanical. It's a major, major pain though, and the FD shifting will probably suck.
I've installed 5 er9 groups, they're wonderful. The app is awesome, adjustments are much easier than mechanical (especially FD, i hate mechanical FD adjustments). Together, we've only put 3-3.5k km on them though, so they might turn to shit, although i dont see why they would.
I really liked the 168, the 268 should only be better. I would do er9 on 268 with nice wheels (not less than 500-650$ range before shipping), gp5000 tyres, and you will have a wonderful bike.
On the lcr0x-d, it's a bit old now; i wouldnt buy a bike that maxes out at 28C, and T700 is on the ghetto side now.

trytogo

« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2024, 04:23:35 PM »
i've built a VB168 with Sensah (4 hoses), the 268 is the same infrastructure, so yes you can run mechanical. It's a major, major pain though, and the FD shifting will probably suck.
I've installed 5 er9 groups, they're wonderful. The app is awesome, adjustments are much easier than mechanical (especially FD, i hate mechanical FD adjustments). Together, we've only put 3-3.5k km on them though, so they might turn to shit, although i dont see why they would.
I really liked the 168, the 268 should only be better. I would do er9 on 268 with nice wheels (not less than 500-650$ range before shipping), gp5000 tyres, and you will have a wonderful bike.
On the lcr0x-d, it's a bit old now; i wouldnt buy a bike that maxes out at 28C, and T700 is on the ghetto side now.

Thanks Serge, you answered everything I had and probably every follow up question i had to boot also :) Will go with the ER9 and the 268.

Build is something like this:

Frame 268 (Racing Green) Order process is really easy and Chis's communication is great so far.
Group ER9
Magene PES cranks/power
Pass Quest rings
Ryet Saddle
Gp5000 (probably 30 but 32 if it fits)

Just wheels to figure out 50 to 60mm with internet 21+ and under 700 dollars and under 1600g would be good suggestions welcome.... must have shiny finish preferably no decals as going no logos with the design.

Order this week but wont be building till first week of June so ill try to share some photos

RasmusWH

« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2024, 12:39:21 AM »
Thanks Serge, you answered everything I had and probably every follow up question i had to boot also :) Will go with the ER9 and the 268.

Build is something like this:

Frame 268 (Racing Green) Order process is really easy and Chis's communication is great so far.
Group ER9
Magene PES cranks/power
Pass Quest rings
Ryet Saddle
Gp5000 (probably 30 but 32 if it fits)

Just wheels to figure out 50 to 60mm with internet 21+ and under 700 dollars and under 1600g would be good suggestions welcome.... must have shiny finish preferably no decals as going no logos with the design.

Order this week but wont be building till first week of June so ill try to share some photos

Sounds like a nice build! Just ordered two frames. Have bought EliteWheels Edge Ultralight 50 mm (21 mm internal, 28 mm external) from AliExpress for one of the frames and actually bought their Edge Gravel 45 mm wheel set (462 USD with discount code when I ordered) for the other frame as their dimensions regarding internal (24 mm) and external width (31 mm) rim width is more progressive and comparable to ENVE SES 4.5 (25/32 mm) and Reserve 40/44 (25/33-31 mm). Will pair both with GP 5000 28 mm. They will probably measure up around 30 mm on the gravel wheel set. Expecting to set both bikes up with 105 Di2 as the compared prices of the ERX/ER9 is not that much lower when shipped to my country (Denmark) with taxes - when you add the cost of crankset, chain, cassette and rotors.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 02:22:15 AM by RasmusWH »