Author Topic: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame  (Read 26856 times)

InsaneDawe

Re: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame
« Reply #255 on: April 22, 2024, 10:39:15 PM »
Anyone measure how much clearance they have with a 32c tire? If this is gonna be my do it all frame, fitting a 35mm tire is essential for me.

« Reply #256 on: April 23, 2024, 06:27:56 AM »
Build done, except for missing bar tape. Er9, Magene p505, edge 45mm. Size 58 comes at 8.05 kg as you see it on the picture. Test ride is next.

Hello can I ask you what are your height in order to order a frame?

SillyMochi

« Reply #257 on: April 23, 2024, 08:09:59 AM »
Just did my first ride with the 268, and it feels great.

Clean build, looks really nice! Just wanted to comment on your saddle position as well, then saw that it was already discussed :D
Also what's that thing on your back wheels spoke?

Thinking about getting myself a 268 frame as well. What's the color of yours again? Some silky white?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 08:14:04 AM by SillyMochi »

hubertus

« Reply #258 on: April 23, 2024, 11:28:02 AM »
Clean build, looks really nice! Just wanted to comment on your saddle position as well, then saw that it was already discussed :D
Also what's that thing on your back wheels spoke?

Thinking about getting myself a 268 frame as well. What's the color of yours again? Some silky white?

It is a sticker I have not removed from the wheel. Thanks for pointing that out. The color is Pearl White (Glossy). You can find pictures of the identical frame earlier in this topic.

SillyMochi

« Reply #259 on: April 23, 2024, 12:07:19 PM »
Yeah, just saw those. Was actually looking for a colorful option but that silky look is really growing on me :D

So many choices ...

Serge_K

« Reply #260 on: April 24, 2024, 04:16:00 AM »
Yeah, just saw those. Was actually looking for a colorful option but that silky look is really growing on me :D

So many choices ...

My 5 cents: careful with colours. You can get super durable decals cut for cheap locally, and you can change your mind every week. You can't change your mind with a colour. A colour also directly affect resale value. I chatted with a guy on Insta with a 168, white, who said his only regret was getting the frame painted white.
I got mine in glass black and am trolling Factor with Tractor decals. If i grow up one morning, i can remove them, it's fully reversible. My previous bike i painted orange because i loved the Giant propel from 2000 something in matte orange. Let's say my paint job didn't come out neaaaaarly as nice... I wish i had kept it black.

SillyMochi

« Reply #261 on: April 24, 2024, 05:49:40 AM »
Sounds fun, got any pics of those?

And yeah, I totally get you. I'm just a sucker for colors. Resale value is a good point as well but it isn't a high priority for me.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #262 on: April 24, 2024, 06:08:23 AM »
Sounds fun, got any pics of those?

And yeah, I totally get you. I'm just a sucker for colors. Resale value is a good point as well but it isn't a high priority for me.

I don't know about resale value... I expect the resale value of my 500EUR china frames to be 0 in every color...

kubackje

« Reply #263 on: April 29, 2024, 05:00:08 PM »
I don't know about resale value... I expect the resale value of my 500EUR china frames to be 0 in every color...

Resale value of 500$ Chinese frame LMAO :)

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #264 on: April 30, 2024, 02:19:09 AM »
You'll probably have to pay when you bring it to the recycling center  :o

Serge_K

« Reply #265 on: April 30, 2024, 03:23:24 AM »
I think that's less and less true every year that passes. Yes, a pool noodle with rough carbon strands inside from 5y ago is going to be hard to get excited over. But take a frame from last year that's fully integrated, and you have something that should be future proof enough for quite a few use cases. A frame that only takes 25C is dead. But 28C is still fairly current, although i wouldn't buy anything new that can't take 32C.
I'm trying to sell my VB GF002 from last year and the issue i have is the mechanical disc brakes. The frame with nice wheels & tyres rides great, but people want hydraulic brakes (and they're right). Ah and the fact I painted it myself doesn't help, the colour is a bit polarizing.

hazzer19

« Reply #266 on: April 30, 2024, 04:49:48 PM »

I've seen used VB frames sell locally for close to 80% MSRP so any considerations like what paint to get and so on, aren't trivial if you do want to resell and upgrade later. Part of it is that the value is already there to begin with so people who may have just been looking at 2K priced frames see this as a steal, and the other part I think is the trust/awareness factor. By this I mean, oh someone locally in North America for example bought this frame, and they like it, and it's safe and performs, etc, etc.

patliean1

« Reply #267 on: May 02, 2024, 03:06:12 PM »
Update on my 268

Highs
-I love the Mavic thru-axle system. It's quite convenient actually. Being able to keep the axles in place when both transporting the bike and working on it on a mechanic stand is great.

-The bike is both stiff and nimble enough. I can't say there really is any discernible difference in stiffness compared to other bikes. Unless you are truly sprinting or climbing, there will be plenty of other variables in regards to maintaining any set speed.

-Visually I appreciate the frame design. Obviously because it looks like an SL7/Venge. Well rounded proportions. The sloping top tube gives the visual impression of an extreme saddle-to-handlebar drop versus a more horizontal top tube. More exposed seatpost (should?) also means more comfort as the seatpost has the ability to flex. 32c GP5000 tubeless fits no problem.

Lows
-Zero setback seatpost. It's not fully problematic for me, but I had to move my saddle back far more than I'm accustomed to. If this was my only road bike it would most likely be a deal breaker. A non-issue for most folks however.

-7x9 saddle clamp for carbon rails. On my particular clamp when using my AliExpress carbon saddle (7x9 rails), visually it does not appear as if the clamps are fully engaging with the rails. Other 268 owners with carbon saddles have not experienced this, and so far the saddle has stayed put. However, the saddle clamp bolt is now slightly bent from trying secure to the rails. Also a non-issue if you're using 7x7 rails as VB also supplies clamps for that too. Just something to be aware of.

-While the bike as a whole rides better than my previous VeloBuild frames, it does still suffer some from road chatter at the rear triangle. Rough pavement can upset the back end. Thankfully though still far better than my Dengfu R12 and TanTan x38 in this regard. This is completely subjective and anecdotal of course. Over the past few weeks I've made an effort to rotate riding each of my bikes everyday day to get a good feel on the differences and overall riding dynamics.

Closing
It's a great DIY bike at the price point so far. As always, wheel selection and bike fit/position will do most of the heavy lifting. If I could change anything it would be adding more reach to cockpit to offset the zero setback seatpost. Dear VeloBuild: Please make one for me thanks!

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #268 on: May 03, 2024, 08:34:24 AM »
My 5 cents: careful with colours. You can get super durable decals cut for cheap locally, and you can change your mind every week. You can't change your mind with a colour. A colour also directly affect resale value. I chatted with a guy on Insta with a 168, white, who said his only regret was getting the frame painted white.
I got mine in glass black and am trolling Factor with Tractor decals. If i grow up one morning, i can remove them, it's fully reversible. My previous bike i painted orange because i loved the Giant propel from 2000 something in matte orange. Let's say my paint job didn't come out neaaaaarly as nice... I wish i had kept it black.

Counter point. I got my 168 painted in white with pink logos and a blue fork. I have zero regrets after over a year with this paint job. I bought an open mold because it was cheap and gave me the option of custom paint. I don’t have nor did I ever think of resale value because it’s an open mold and who is buying second hand open mold frames? I wanted something fun and unique.

My point is: get the paint you want. Forget about resale value. Get the paint job that excites you and makes you want to ride your bike. We’re not talking about $5000 frames and $2000 custom paint jobs. Mine cost an extra $50 to go wild and do custom logos. The whole package was like $650 before shipping. Have fun with it. I can say with 100% certainty that I would have regretted getting a black frame. Part of the fun with an open mold is the custom paint options. That’s my opinion at least. I didn’t see the point of getting a plain matte black frame when custom paint is so cheap.

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #269 on: May 03, 2024, 09:42:34 AM »
Really wish velobuild designed the 268 with the same seatpost as the 168 so they could offer the option for zero setback or setback and existing 168 owners could order a zero setback