Author Topic: WheelTop EDS TX Full Wireless Groupset (Chinese SRAM)  (Read 24989 times)

raisinberry777

Re: WheelTop EDS TX Full Wireless Groupset (Chinese SRAM)
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2024, 05:01:18 AM »
Delays on the aluminium rim-brake version to July 2024:

https://twitter.com/wheeltopjapan/status/1770967843984773405

[Notice and Apology of Delivery Delay]
There will be a delay in the delivery of the aluminum grade TX-RA6100, which is compatible with wire pull brakes, in the EDS TX series.

▼ Applicable products
TX-RA6100

▼ Scheduled release date
July 2024

▼ Reason for delay: Due to production adjustments due to the sudden increase in demand for EDS worldwide.

« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2024, 08:29:41 AM »
I had a crash 2 weeks ago when my front tire tube blew in a turning maneouvre which resulted in a slide out and threw me off the bike. The EDS survived with some scratches to the shifter body, lever blades are intact. I used 600 sandpaper to file out the rough edges and a black permanent marker sealed the deal. Now it looks inconspicuous unless up close.

The most important thing is the shifting is still bang on for my 50/34 - 11/30 set up. This EDS TX is indeed tough.

https://youtu. be/eLID1SvW-9Q

Linsook

« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2024, 10:24:55 PM »
WheelTop EDS TX alloy version appears to be available on AliExpress at a lower price point:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806495696389.html

Thanks.  Pulled the trigger on the Alu with $80 off coupon from AliExpress anniversary sale.  $80 off made it too hard to pass up.  If Carbon was in stock I would have opted for that. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 10:26:52 PM by Linsook »

Shinobi_77

« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2024, 12:57:00 AM »
Wheeltop is already present in local shows in JPN and they made their way into larger shops like Uemura cycling.
https://uemura-cycle.com/products/list.php?mode=search&search_category_id=47&search_maker_id=583
EDS TX-RA7000 for 128700 JPY
  https://uemura-cycle.com/products/detail.php?product_id=91363
A 105 Di2 R7170 as full group is 170000JPY, while a mechanical 105 92000JPY
https://uemura-cycle.com/products/detail.php?product_id=84500

BoomerE36

« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2024, 01:54:19 PM »
Anyone knows how the Wheeltop EDS TX compares to the recently released L-TWOO eRX electronic groupset? I've seen some quality issues with the L-Twoo from the GCN Performance and TraceVelo Youtube channels. I assume the Wheeltop unit will be similar given how new it is to the market.

Takiyaki

« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2024, 02:15:41 PM »
All 4 of my EDS OX derailleurs have the removable batteries.   To date, the removable batteries last a long time, over 600 miles of riding for me with lots of shifting.

OTOH: Weird things have been happening.  Yesterday, I went out on a snow ride on a bike I haven't ridden it about a month.  The bike was shifting OK, but I though that I would swap to a charged battery to be sure that the battery on the bike might be low on charge.  I swapped to a supposedly fully charged battery.  It wouldn't shift. No lights.  Swapped to another battery.  This battery didn't shift the derailleur either.  Put the original one back one and rode, leaving the other 2 on their chargers.   Then swapped one of the freshly charged battery onto the derailleur and it worked.  Now I am wondering why 2 fully charged batteries were drained of power after sitting around on a shelf for a month after last being charged. 

Regarding the fixed battery.  I am sure you can put a routine in place where you use your Wheeltop app on your phone to check the % charge / # of shifts left.   If you see the battery is below your charge comfort level, you can top it off. 

I wonder too, if the magnetic charging cable charges the battery while the derailleur is in operation.  One could secure the charge cable to the frame and use a battery bank to charge the battery while riding.  (Anyone test this?)
Issue for me would be that batteries eventually die which would render the whole derailleur useless. I'm surprised nobody has used something like a 18650 cylinder battery. Slap a waterproof case in the down tube and put a charge port on the derailleur. Battery (or batteries) die, you go grab another one on Amazon or whatever. This is a deal breaker for me

kbernstein

« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2024, 02:27:21 PM »
Issue for me would be that batteries eventually die which would render the whole derailleur useless. I'm surprised nobody has used something like a 18650 cylinder battery. Slap a waterproof case in the down tube and put a charge port on the derailleur. Battery (or batteries) die, you go grab another one on Amazon or whatever. This is a deal breaker for me
This is exactly what LTWOO does?

toxin

« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2024, 03:14:45 PM »
Batterries are replaceable

Tijoe

« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2024, 04:20:38 PM »
Issue for me would be that batteries eventually die which would render the whole derailleur useless.
From my perspective, worrying about a dead battery is a non-issue.   
1.  The fixed batteries on the new generation EDS derailleurs can be removed and replaced.
2.  When the battery pack fails, purchase a replacement. (As long as the derailleur/s are for sale, and perhaps for many years after production stops, a replacement battery pack will be available.)
3.  For other products that I have purchased, where I could no longer get a replacement battery pack, I have carefully opened the battery pack. In in every case, the battery pack used common and readily available rechargeable battery sizes.
4.  If by chance, I haven't worn out the mechanical part of the derailleur by the time I can't get a replacement battery, then I would make my own battery pack to keep the the derailleur running.

toxin

« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2024, 09:04:06 AM »

kbernstein

« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2024, 11:31:13 AM »
He suggests that wheeltop might have bought(?) the patent licenses from shimano for auto-trim, flatmount brake caliper, and I think also the battery LED indicator that ltwoo had to cover (ridiculous!). I hope that is not the reason for the "steep"(er) price.

toxin

« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2024, 11:59:36 AM »
I doubt they did, these patents are probably the reason they're not selling in the usa

BoomerE36

« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2024, 12:56:41 PM »
Regardless of patents, it should be easy enough to buy it from 3rd party resellers on AliExpress. I already see one.

Tijoe

« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2024, 01:24:15 PM »
It is interesting to note that SRAMs original wireless shifting patent .: US 2014/0102237 A1, expires on April 17th 2024.  Other Patents associated with electronic controller shifters filed by Shimano and SRAM have also been expiring.   I haven't read through all of SRAM's more recent patents, but what often happens is that companies file new claims to try to extend existing patents that are running out in order to try to block other competitors from using designs that are no longer patent protected.   It is possible that Wheeltop has a viable design that is legal and does not impinge on any current patents. This might be why the timing of their OX and TX systems have been just recently released.  Perhaps they will start selling in the USA once a few more of the patents they infringe opon expire.   
Keep in mind that utility patents are good for 15 years, and design patents 20 years here in the USA.   

Bluetooth and ANT communication standards are now over 20 years old, so Wheeltop can use these standards for a wireless method for their wireless communications.  Wheeltop's challenge is how to minimize battery usage, (sleep and wake up signals) that were in SRAM's wireless patent that expires in April.

Edit:  I believe that a "fixed battery" on a derailleur patent has expired too. But a removable battery is still covered under a newer SRAM patent.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 01:27:34 PM by Tijoe »

cramy

« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2024, 04:58:59 AM »
Video fro GC