Author Topic: WheelTop EDS TX Full Wireless Groupset (Chinese SRAM)  (Read 24944 times)

RDY

Re: WheelTop EDS TX Full Wireless Groupset (Chinese SRAM)
« Reply #180 on: April 10, 2024, 04:43:06 PM »
I really wish they'd included auxilliary buttons on this.  Though I'm sure if an app is made, long presses or whatever could control Garmins pages.

coffeebreak

« Reply #181 on: April 10, 2024, 07:04:02 PM »
The rim brake version is back on with free shipping to USA. Rates have increased though. Not sure what's going on there.

toxin

« Reply #182 on: April 10, 2024, 07:31:46 PM »
High deman -> price goes up

Capitalism, baby

coffeebreak

« Reply #183 on: April 10, 2024, 08:39:10 PM »
Wasn't wondering about the price. It was about the shipping to USA.

biceryder

« Reply #184 on: April 11, 2024, 09:30:23 AM »
Yeah, price has been increasing due to the demand.  Regarding shipping, I had to msg the seller through the app.  They were able to turn on shipping to the US.  I didn’t order because of the price increase.  Seems to be an issue with their software.  Yesterday, I could put in my cart and get shipping.  Today, the shipping restriction is back on.

Tijoe

« Reply #185 on: April 11, 2024, 07:28:55 PM »
My EDS TX Disc kit is up and running on my gravel bike.  I put on 40 miles today, 15 on single track / trails.   Positives: 1. Smoothness and crisp shifting. 2. I was able to remove .6 lbs off the bike installing the Wheeltop kit along with a 12 speed ZTTO lightweight cassette and ZTTO hollow pin chain.
Minor issues:  1.  I wore long finger cycling gloves.  This made it more difficult to shift the small paddle.  I had a few shifts where I hit both paddles at the same time. This appears to confuse the derailleur where it shifts up then down or down up depending on which paddle was hit first. 2.  It literally took me 2 hours to get the rear cassette cogs trimmed to be smooth on both the small and large front rings.  I would trim all the cassette cogs in the small ring, then shift to the large ring and many of the them would not run smooth.  I had to iterate trim adjustments running large and small chain rings.  (My EDS OX rear derailleurs all adjusted very quickly.)
During this process, I gradually adjusted the body-angle screw until I found the sweet spot on all the cassette cogs in both the small and large front rings.

Thumbs up for the Wheeltop EDS TX Disc.

toxin

« Reply #186 on: April 12, 2024, 05:52:13 AM »
Well thats ore of a cassette problem than a derrailleur problem

« Reply #187 on: April 12, 2024, 04:56:46 PM »
My experience with ultralight chinese cassettes is that they're not durable, and the shifting is never as smooth as say a 105 cassette. If it's even more lightweight than say a dura-ace one, there's serious stuff being compromised IMO.

jonathanf2

« Reply #188 on: April 12, 2024, 05:13:03 PM »
I would make sure the derailleur hanger is straight using an alignment tool. Whenever cassette shifting is off, that's one of the first things I check.

My new lightweight Goldix 12 speed cassette has been working great for me. It weighs significantly less than any Shimano 11-34t on the market.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806211333567.html

« Reply #189 on: April 13, 2024, 05:27:27 PM »
Oh they usually shift well enough, but with the increased tension of a clutch on a GRX derailleur I've had mixed results, whereas a cheap 105 cassette still shifts perfectly well on the same derailleur and with or without clutch. It can't be the derailleur when this variable is consistent between the two cassettes. Also I've noticed that in salty winter rides in Canada they tend to rust a lot quicker than Shimano cassettes. For dry weather they might be alright but anything wet/muddy they'll wear down very quickly.

« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2024, 09:25:28 PM »
2 months since I built my EDS TX on the TIME ADH2023. I must say it is pretty reliable so far and even survived a crash and worked normally.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/C3eBr7kYWqfZSCwF8

The discussion on those lightweight Chinese cassettes do hold water as shifting is not as crisp as a Shimano cassette. Nevertheless at their current pricepoint, they are really irresistable buys with the amazing lightness. I am currently using the Zitto 11T-30T (12s) and there will always be a gear that will be tad bit off after a few rides. Not sure why but a quick tweak with the variable gear setting sorted that out.

Tijoe

« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2024, 10:39:13 PM »
I ran the Sunshine then the ZTTO ultra-light-weight cassettes on my gravel bike.  I have worn out the middle cogs on 2 of them in about 10K miles of riding.  Now I am running a ZTTO ultralight XD 12-speed, 10-36 cassette with the EDS TX system.  Time will tell how the ZTTO aluminum cassette will hold up.

I read that many people bite the bullet and purchase 3 chains to run on these cassettes.  They rotate/swap out the chains with each other about every  1000 to 1500 miles.  They say this makes the cassettes last much longer, because you run less stretched chains and swap these out, it increases the longevity of the cassette versus running only one chain, and as this chain stretches, it wears out the aluminum teeth faster.

jonathanf2

« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2024, 11:43:56 PM »
Has anyone consider going down in cassette speed instead of going up? For example Shimano XT 11-34/36t cassettes are on par with Ultegra, are cheaper and weigh less than the 11/12 speed equivalents. Now that the Wheeltop EDS TX and ER9/X can go 7-13 speeds there are more options to choose from.

Serge_K

« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2024, 02:30:36 AM »
I ran the Sunshine then the ZTTO ultra-light-weight cassettes on my gravel bike.  I have worn out the middle cogs on 2 of them in about 10K miles of riding.  Now I am running a ZTTO ultralight XD 12-speed, 10-36 cassette with the EDS TX system.  Time will tell how the ZTTO aluminum cassette will hold up.

I read that many people bite the bullet and purchase 3 chains to run on these cassettes.  They rotate/swap out the chains with each other about every  1000 to 1500 miles.  They say this makes the cassettes last much longer, because you run less stretched chains and swap these out, it increases the longevity of the cassette versus running only one chain, and as this chain stretches, it wears out the aluminum teeth faster.

Waxed drivetrains?

Has anyone consider going down in cassette speed instead of going up? For example Shimano XT 11-34/36t cassettes are on par with Ultegra, are cheaper and weigh less than the 11/12 speed equivalents. Now that the Wheeltop EDS TX and ER9/X can go 7-13 speeds there are more options to choose from.

I'm running 11s 11-34 & 11-36; when i ordered last year, 12s ultralight maxed out at 11-32. It's amazing to have the option to change the # of gears on the er9. I run chinese ultra light cassettes, with waxed chains & properly indexed gears, they're amazing.

jonathanf2

« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2024, 09:20:53 AM »
Waxed drivetrains?

I'm running 11s 11-34 & 11-36; when i ordered last year, 12s ultralight maxed out at 11-32. It's amazing to have the option to change the # of gears on the er9. I run chinese ultra light cassettes, with waxed chains & properly indexed gears, they're amazing.

Immersive waxing is definitely key with these ultra lightweight cassettes. I think they were designed with waxed chains in mind.