Author Topic: WheelTop EDS TX Full Wireless Groupset (Chinese SRAM)  (Read 29634 times)

Re: WheelTop EDS TX Full Wireless Groupset (Chinese SRAM)
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2024, 03:29:56 AM »
If you are buying the EDS TX drivetrain, I will advise buying a set of silicone shifter-end tip caps. The shifters arc outwards so the chances of getting it scraped is higher. Those inexpensive Aliexpress Shifter end caps will save you some grief when parking or if the bike tilt over at some point. ;D

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2024, 06:47:52 AM »
Absolutely easy to compare the size of the EDS shifters to Ultegra R8150 as I have both systems. For your information, my palm size is considered large for Asian (Medium-Large Caucasian?)

The EDS aesthetically and physically is smaller. I can get a good hand wrap around the hoods with 4 fingers space on the underside.
The Ultegra R8150 is bulkier due to the crested hoods for Di2 shift buttons on the top and has less underside space for only 3 fingers to wrap underneath.

Ah, another plus for this groupset. I have rather small hands so smaller is better.

RDY

« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2024, 12:53:58 PM »
Have they said what dealers / users have tested as max for cassette?  Anyone pushed it to 11/40?

toxin

« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2024, 01:22:46 PM »
Have they said what dealers / users have tested as max for cassette?  Anyone pushed it to 11/40?

In the reviews on the wheeltop.com product page

dsveddy

« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2024, 01:27:54 PM »
I’m finally catching up to this thread—those claimed specs are amazing—if true, this group set is lighter than SRAM red AXS for equivalent parts.

The availability of a rim brake version is really nice too. I can see some old frames getting resurrected with electronic shifting.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2024, 04:04:05 PM »
Absolutely easy to compare the size of the EDS shifters to Ultegra R8150 as I have both systems. For your information, my palm size is considered large for Asian (Medium-Large Caucasian?)

The EDS aesthetically and physically is smaller. I can get a good hand wrap around the hoods with 4 fingers space on the underside.
The Ultegra R8150 is bulkier due to the crested hoods for Di2 shift buttons on the top and has less underside space for only 3 fingers to wrap underneath.

That is very interesting to read. The 8150 ultegra STI grew much larger compared to the 2x11 di2 STI. Maybe for large hands this is an improvement, but for me ... not. 

jonathanf2

« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2024, 07:25:58 PM »
The more I look into this groupset the more I'm impressed. I like that they're solely focused on electronic groupsets and nothing else. Also their website seems better suited attracting an international audience. My only concern is long term support and access to parts.

« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2024, 10:45:16 PM »
The more I look into this groupset the more I'm impressed. I like that they're solely focused on electronic groupsets and nothing else. Also their website seems better suited attracting an international audience. My only concern is long term support and access to parts.

Well only one way to find that out isn't it? Join me in the leap of faith lol  ;D

Frankly I am impressed that they actually replied to my message within the same day or less about the chainring spec issue. That aside, warranty is entirely a different monster. If your local area has no warranty, I believe a courier back to WheelTop could be necessary.

« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2024, 11:44:56 PM »
I have the opportunity to take the new TIME bike out for my club ride. So during a break, I took a quick clip to show viewers the shifting of the EDS TX.

The test began with the big chainring shifting single gears upwards, followed by the downshift. Next I performed a shift hold upwards and downwards in a single press action resectively.

The same pattern is repeated for the small chainring BUT the system will automatically move the chain up from smallest to 3rd cog. This seems like the automatic anti-cross chain logic only in the small chainring. Otherwise the upshifts and downshifts, whether individually or press hold are very smooth.
https:/  /youtu. be / 24Eh-sQVfpQ
I really enjoyed using the EDS TX from WheelTop for its crisp shifting.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 02:31:20 AM by Taicho_Cyclist »

RDY

« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2024, 05:23:36 AM »
I have the opportunity to take the new TIME bike out for my club ride. So during a break, I took a quick clip to show viewers the shifting of the EDS TX.

The test began with the big chainring shifting single gears upwards, followed by the downshift. Next I performed a shift hold upwards and downwards in a single press action resectively.

The same pattern is repeated for the small chainring BUT the system will automatically move the chain up from smallest to 3rd cog. This seems like the automatic anti-cross chain logic only in the small chainring. Otherwise the upshifts and downshifts, whether individually or press hold are very smooth.
https:/  /youtu. be / 24Eh-sQVfpQ
I really enjoyed using the EDS TX from WheelTop for its crisp shifting.

It would be more interesting to see it shifting under load ... I.E. with you on the bike and more than 200 watts being applied.  Everything looks good under no torque in the bike stand.

« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2024, 10:07:07 AM »
It would be more interesting to see it shifting under load ... I.E. with you on the bike and more than 200 watts being applied.  Everything looks good under no torque in the bike stand.

I  don't have that video yet other than my other short ones. Front D shifting is da bomb. Rear mech needs to be precisely calibrated - not really missed a shift so far for 3 rides. More test needed.

biceryder

« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2024, 10:27:08 AM »
I am thinking about using this groupset on an older Tarmac rim brake frame.  I’d like to wait until summer to hear some longer term reports.  Seeing how the Ltwoo ERX groupset initially priced around 6-700.00 now you can find it on Aliexpress for 4-450.00. (w/o batteries).  I’m curious to see if the EDX comes down in price as Wheeltop increases production. 

Taicho, thanks for all the honest feedback!

toxin

« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2024, 10:33:59 AM »
It's er9 that's under 500€ er9 is still around 600+ and it's possible these price reductions are to get as many out the door before they release a final, hopefully fixed, product.

biceryder

« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2024, 11:35:40 AM »
Gotcha. I think I read that somewhere but part of me was hopeful that the groupsets would come down around the 500.00 mark. 

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2024, 11:42:37 AM »
In the EU you can get the Rival AXS shifters, FD, RD and 2 batteries with charger for about 850€. So it will have to be considerably cheaper than that before I would take the risk of being without a bike for a month or so because something fails and I can't get a spare part...