Author Topic: Ali express disc brake pads, recommendations  (Read 2195 times)

abedfo

Ali express disc brake pads, recommendations
« on: December 11, 2023, 11:36:19 AM »
As per title, does anyone have experience with cheap Ali express disc pads and some recommendations. I'm not expecting Swiss stop but something like it would be cool  8)

coffeebreak

Re: Ali express disc brake pads, recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 11:58:24 AM »
I have had good luck with Cooma brand pads for various Shimano calipers. I always go for resin pads + Shimano rotors and that combo has been great.

Confused

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 01:58:23 PM »
Kingstop - sintered or ceramic pads. Used them on Magura, Shimano, and SRAM calipers with no issues. Such stop. Much wow.

abedfo

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 02:40:05 PM »
Kingstop - sintered or ceramic pads. Used them on Magura, Shimano, and SRAM calipers with no issues. Such stop. Much wow.

Now you're talking my language.

Flying Trunk Monkey

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2023, 07:10:54 PM »
Questions for those that have replied here...

I've had such good luck with Shimano sintered pads that it's practically all I consider. They last so long that I don't have much issue with paying the low end of the price range that they typically sell for.

That said, I like a good deal as much as the next guy and I'm wondering how much life you're getting out of the various AliX pads.

I know some folks tolerate very cheap pads because they look at them as a disposable item. But... they end up changing them on such a regular basis I wonder how much they're actually saving. I've heard of guys finishing gravel races in crappy conditions with little or no brakes left. I've never been able to determine what kind of pads they were using but I can't imagine seeing a front and rear set of sintered pads go from working to zero in a 200 or less miles.

jfcb

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 02:31:26 AM »

That said, I like a good deal as much as the next guy and I'm wondering how much life you're getting out of the various AliX pads.

From my own experience, the longevity is mainly determined by the type of compound (sintered, ceramic, resin..) rather than the brand.
I can't really determine any difference in wear between the sram/shimano brake pads and the aliex ones.

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 06:13:00 AM »
I tried the yellow Swiss stop on my road bike last year. The best right ? 8)

And not that impressed by their cost/braking power, I came back to my beloved pink Elite Cooma:
https://alphabicycling.aliexpress.com/store/group/Elite-Brake-Pads/1513091_10000001152730.html
I put them on all kind of bikes: road, gravel, MTB and e-bike.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 01:30:42 PM »

And not that impressed by their cost/braking power, I came back to my beloved pink Elite Cooma:
https://alphabicycling.aliexpress.com/store/group/Elite-Brake-Pads/1513091_10000001152730.html

+1 for the pink Cooma. I also use the golden ones. The pink are a bit more friendly regarding sound.
To me the pink ones are better than Shimano Resin. Originally I tried them because the Shimano pads were largely not available during the Corona time. Now I am not going back because they are really good.
The color is a slight problem, but luckily the dust covers them quite good.  ;D

darius72

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2024, 08:29:53 AM »
It's good to read different opinions.
I tried on my XC bike the cooma silver (ex-plus compound) and to me they are pure junk; very low friction, basically not braking even after bedding in.
I was induced by their technical explanation with friction factors etc etc; by the way the ex plus should be the best in the range, I imagine the other compounds.
Then I ordered the ZTTO metallic and they are really good; great bite and stropping power, maybe a little squeaky with wet rotor; I was pretty confident as
normally everything from ZTTO is between quite good and very good.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 08:38:30 AM by darius72 »

jonathanf2

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 11:46:51 AM »
I do so much up and downhill riding, my pads are done faster than average. For my use I prefer finned pads on all my bikes.

JohnnyRabbit

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 09:47:10 PM »
I've been using Kingstop pads for about 2 years. They work as good as Shimano original without the ridiculous price. I think Cooma and Kingstop are probably made at the same factory.

nicklej

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2024, 02:53:38 AM »

I've never gotten pads from AliX but I'm wanting to try some so thanks for the recommendation. I've just bought a few sets for trialling :)

abedfo

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2024, 01:26:39 PM »
Ive just ordered some pink coomas for my SLX brakes on the CX/gravel bike. Ill give them some hammer and report back. They will be compared against the stock shimano ones!

I have also ordered some Finned "bucklos" ceramic pads for my road bike as my tiagra calipers have been less than disappointing.

abedfo

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2024, 02:45:06 PM »
Ive just ordered some pink coomas for my SLX brakes on the CX/gravel bike. Ill give them some hammer and report back. They will be compared against the stock shimano ones!

I have also ordered some Finned "bucklos" ceramic pads for my road bike as my tiagra calipers have been less than disappointing.

I highly recommend both. The pink coombas are incredible.

andrerav

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2024, 03:45:03 AM »
I've used gold, pink and silver Coomas. My definitive favorite is the gold version. They are simply put very, very good and compete with the best metallic pads out there.
The pink version is good as long as they do not overheat. But if they do overheat, they will abruptly glaze over and permanently loose power.
The silver version is flat out garbage and is not worth buying.