Author Topic: Speeder, Tantan or Ican  (Read 834 times)

Kristiaan

Speeder, Tantan or Ican
« on: December 16, 2023, 08:36:46 AM »
Hi All!
I currently ride a Winspace T1500D.  I would like to buy a second frameset.  My choice would be Speeder Sc R52 D, TanTan X38 or Ican A9.
What would be a frameset of similar quality to the Winspace?  I do race so must be able to ride fast and reliable on the flat, mountains and downhill.

The Winspace is a great bike but let down by a very stiff rear , making it not that fast descending.

Any info very welcome, or do you have any alternatives?

Many thanks in advance.

Tines

Re: Speeder, Tantan or Ican
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 04:21:40 PM »
Why would a stiff rear end slow you down?
Wouldn’t a flexy rear end potentially slow you down ascending?

dsveddy

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 11:32:44 AM »
I'm guessing you're feeling a lack of compliance leading to a lack of confidence going downhill.

This is mostly down to tires and rims--excessively high tire pressure is the single largest factor in poor rear-end compliance.

You can reduce tire pressure while keeping rolling-resistance low by adopting wider tires, wider rims, higher-quality tires, and replacing butyl tubes with TPU, latex, or tubeless tires. The frame is mostly secondary to tire-setup, after all, the pros are riding Roubaix on aero-bikes these days.

What rear tire are you using? What width? What rim width are you using?

For example, I weigh 80kg, I am using 28mm Continental GP5000 with Ridenow TPU tubes inside, mounted to ICAN Aero 35 wheels, which have a 19mm internal rim-width. I run about 80-85PSI for races with high demands on cornering.

If you are really committed to buying another frame, I believe ICAN has the most solid reputation for quality, but their frames are somewhat heavy. And there's no guarantee it will be more compliant than your Winspace.

Yunglord

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 11:35:14 AM »
I'm guessing you're feeling a lack of compliance leading to a lack of confidence going downhill.

This is mostly down to tires and rims--excessively high tire pressure is the single largest factor in poor rear-end compliance.

You can reduce tire pressure while keeping rolling-resistance low by adopting wider tires, wider rims, higher-quality tires, and replacing butyl tubes with TPU, latex, or tubeless tires. The frame is mostly secondary to tire-setup, after all, the pros are riding Roubaix on aero-bikes these days.

What rear tire are you using? What width? What rim width are you using?

For example, I weigh 80kg, I am using 28mm Continental GP5000 with Ridenow TPU tubes inside, mounted to ICAN Aero 35 wheels, which have a 19mm internal rim-width. I run about 80-85PSI for races with high demands on cornering.

If you are really committed to buying another frame, I believe ICAN has the most solid reputation for quality, but their frames are somewhat heavy. And there's no guarantee it will be more compliant than your Winspace.

I can pretty much guarantee it won't.

I ride a Speeder RC-48D and it's just as stiff as my Allez Sprint 2019 Disc IE almost zero compliance.

It's a fast bike but not one I would chalk up as comfortable by any means.

Kristiaan

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 03:49:04 PM »
Thanks for your input.  I can assure you I did use several wheelsets and tyre dimensions and tyre pressures.  I weigh 68Kg, 1.77m.
I spoke to Cam Nicholls about it and he exactly confirms my Winspace T1500 riding experience. 

I am looking for another frame to build up that improves on the descending and acceleration uphill.

I was looking for a Seka but bad customer correspondence and I think too expensive.  I get a mainstream frame for less or about the same price.

Thanks again.

patliean1

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 03:55:07 PM »
I ride a Speeder RC-48D and it's just as stiff as my Allez Sprint 2019 Disc IE almost zero compliance.

I want one now.

hubertus

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 06:01:21 AM »
I want one now.

What is your current hierarchically sorted list of bikes to build?

On the actual topic: I ride a Speeder, and the frame is great. I only had some minor issues with play of the headset bearing, but nothing some tape (again thanks patliean1) could not fix.

Kristiaan

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 07:31:31 AM »
The TanTan X38 has for me the perfect geometry, and I do like the style.  I do like the quality of Winspace T1500 which I bought 13 months ago at 1400euros all in and with integrated handlebar. Unfortunately the new T1550 is a bit more expensive and not really different from the T1500.

The Speeder and Ican works out about 1100euros all in. Tantan is a few 100euros cheaper.

A year ago I ordered and paid for a Velobuild but I cancelled the order as the waiting would have been too long, after a conversation with Chris who warned me about the changed delivery times.  I immediately received my money back.   Proper service!   Not so sure about the frame quality and ride characteristics.

Any ideas? 

Kristiaan

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 07:52:06 AM »
Is Yishun a  reliable alternative perhaps?  Anybody had dealinghs with them?

Dark17

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 01:13:39 PM »
Yishun bikes are really good. I think their R058D standard is now available for customers. I own an R086D so if you want a contact, I can give you one.
rematistang jempoy (sprinter fred) from The Philippines