Author Topic: Bona Ti  (Read 2181 times)

Unsworn5836

Bona Ti
« on: December 26, 2023, 11:52:14 AM »
Anyone got some experience with them?
Found a frame on https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006285866992.html, which offers UDH. Probably you also could ask them to weld it into their frame with 54mm tire clearance.

mirphak

Re: Bona Ti
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 01:20:21 PM »
They say 45mm tire clearance, not 54mm. Having designed mine with Waltly (see this thread: https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4490.0.html) I realized it is not that straightforward to make a really big clearance gravel frame. Several items get into the fight to limit it:

- internal routing
- short chainstays
- standard seat tube
- cranks with small Q-factor / large chainrings

all of these complicate having a very large clearance. So either you sacrifize the internal routing on the right chainstay, or you make the chainstays longer (>440mm), and/or you make the seat tube curved or joining the bottom bracket rather on the front side, or you put some cranks with larger Q-factor and maybe a wider bottom bracket.

In my case, my compromise was a standard 50mm clearance, with chainstays at 435mm, shift cable going below the right chainstay instead of inside (although going AXS in the end, so this does not bother me :P).

Ostriker

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 06:07:13 PM »
currently on talk with the same seller regarding a frame... about to pull the trigger after correcting everything

Unsworn5836

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 01:28:56 AM »
Anyone got some experience with them?
Found a frame on https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006285866992.html, which offers UDH. Probably you also could ask them to weld it into their frame with 54mm tire clearance.

Ok, I wasn't precise enough.
You are right, the posted frame has 45 mm. They offer a frame with 54 mm: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005479664240.html.

Thanks for your explanation. For me UDH is probably also coming into gravel (sooner or later). And I want to cut down my spares.
I don't care about external routing on the chain stays. I'd like to have internal on the down tube, sufficient for me. 
currently on talk with the same seller regarding a frame... about to pull the trigger after correcting everything
Which one are you in? What do you want to change?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 01:36:17 AM by Unsworn5836 »

repoman

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 09:45:56 AM »
Was looking at this too. 
These sellers have really confusing listings, showing completely different frames in different shots, no geometry listed, no shots of completed bikes. You will see the same picture in different sellers offerings, seems like all of these sellers aren't actually the manufacturer.   

The welding honestly isn't that great as you can see a lot of undercut on things like dropouts, cable bosses, bottle bosses, etc...but at these prices it's not really a complaint that applies.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 09:49:36 AM by repoman »

Ostriker

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 02:28:14 PM »
Ok, I wasn't precise enough.
You are right, the posted frame has 45 mm. They offer a frame with 54 mm: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005479664240.html.

Thanks for your explanation. For me UDH is probably also coming into gravel (sooner or later). And I want to cut down my spares.
I don't care about external routing on the chain stays. I'd like to have internal on the down tube, sufficient for me.  Which one are you in? What do you want to change?

Adding customs logo and anodized headtube

00Garza

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 09:15:59 AM »
Some of those welds don't look great. Store is less than a year old.

From the little I know, Ti is not an easy material to work with. Not sure if I'd risk that much money on an unknown vendor for unknown frames.

Unsworn5836

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 11:08:29 AM »
Some of those welds don't look great. Store is less than a year old.

From the little I know, Ti is not an easy material to work with. Not sure if I'd risk that much money on an unknown vendor for unknown frames.
Any suggestion but walty? And also some cracked frames within this forum.

00Garza

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2023, 06:21:21 PM »
PYTitans and Waltly seem to be the highest regarded for titanium and even they have failures.

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2023, 05:41:22 AM »
PYTitans and Waltly seem to be the highest regarded for titanium and even they have failures.

Do you know what are their reaction when a failure happens, do they stand behind their product ?

00Garza

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2023, 10:23:43 AM »
Do you know what are their reaction when a failure happens, do they stand behind their product ?

Not personally. The few posts mentioning warranty claims are not stellar.

Ostriker

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 12:18:21 PM »
Bought a frame... will tell you results once received :)

mirphak

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2023, 12:36:09 PM »
About Waltly, I read once someone cracked it and they offered a new frame at half the price or repairing it for free (but one has to cover shipping, which is not precisely cheap). I guess it is understandable for a rather small manufacturer.

Mine is already in Germany. Hopefully by the end of January I will start building it.

avocadobike

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2024, 11:28:52 PM »

Which frame are you going for? Or you doing a custom build?

I checked out their store which I found a nice looking gravel frame with a squarish top tube

Ostriker

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2024, 05:58:15 PM »
Which frame are you going for? Or you doing a custom build?

I checked out their store which I found a nice looking gravel frame with a squarish top tube

went stock on this frame + customs logos,

currently in productions, all the plans were according to listing and checked twice with them before giving my confirmation