Author Topic: My 256SL build  (Read 33593 times)

foamman1

Re: My 256SL build
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2015, 11:40:53 AM »
Arraider,
  I am no mechanic, but i recently built a 29" chiner. I figured with all the reading that i did that i would have to "fit" some things. I was right i recieved my frame and the bottom cup in the headset was a little tight and out of round. May bee .002 -.003". Careful sandpaper work and this was fixed. My other problem was like yours be it nowhere as severe, but all the same my brake bosses need a little truing, but the bolts in mine were strait enough. A few minutes with a file and they were fixed It did fustrate me though.
  I think i may have a solution for you. If you use the 160 rotor and get rid of the spacer the shorter bolts wont conflict with the rotor,but u will need to file the brake bosses perpendicual to the rotor. Then bolt the brake caliper to the bosses with the avid cones on the top of the  brake caliper,(between the caliper and the bolt head only). Hope this explanation is clear.
  If it were me i would not try to re-drill and tap the bosses. This may work, but i don't think that there is enough working room in the stays to properly re-drill and tap new threads. Plus you would likely need a jig of some sort to ensure they were strait.
 I believe that the vendor should be responsible for a manufacture defect period! That being said a simple fix may be easier than dealing with customs, vendor, shipping, travel and so forth.
 I am confident i could make this repair, but no matter make sure before you try any thing you are confident as well. Because if you damage the frame the vendor will likely tell you that you are on your own.
 Good luck. I hope the vendor steps up and takes care of this. Keep us posted.

Izzy

« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2015, 04:31:52 PM »
Now you guys tell me is there even a shadow of a doubt?

I don't think anyone here is doubting you at all, man.

Sitar_Ned posted the communication with Peter where he agreed and confirmed that Iplay would cover the new frame and shipping. I guess it's just a matter of proof? I can honestly understand them asking for verification via LBS that it was manufacturing defect, but with all of the pics and that vid it looks pretty obvious to me.

Iplay - I think it's obvious he's not trying to cover up a mistake he made during installation. It's a defect in the frame. It's time to take care of this customer.

Arraider

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2015, 02:16:06 AM »
i was always ready for some handy work as you can read here, in this thread, i was ready to drill the stops...  8)

thanks to all you guys for the help and comments, i talked to Bert and Peter and we come to and understanding that i think it's fair for everybody. Now i will try to solve the issue by myself with the help of a friend  ;D

i will keep you guys posted...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:30:34 AM by Arraider »

Izzy

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2015, 02:52:12 AM »
Great to hear. I knew they'd do what needed to be done in the end.

Like I said before, can't blame them for being skeptical. Can't blame you for being pissed lol. Glad it ended well.

Arraider

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2015, 03:12:15 AM »
not exactely ended  :P but in the right path  ;)

Arraider

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2015, 02:30:37 AM »
It's alive, It's alive.....  8)

The 1st real ride... great winter day, rocky and hard terrain

The 1st ride just near home to test everything

it's fixed, a slow process with the finest file i found, it ended up pretty nice in the end, one can hardly notice by looking at the mounts. I guess as long as the screw is as low as possible the inclination of the screw is not a problem.... so as long as i don't use adapters or any rotor bigger then the 160 (which is enough for me any way) it's OK
If i try the 180 rotor and adapter the problem came back :(
It's gonna stay like this  :D

and i have already rode it, and fell. Not the bikes fault, the gps came loose and in the confusion i ended up on the ground, rough rocky terrain and all it took was for me to distract myself for a fraction of a second. So i ended up by riding almost the all time in a little pain and still can't really comment on the ride quality :(

The suspension was not tunned for me, i followed the RS guidelines and it completely missed the target, ended up for only using half the travel in the end. Guess i have to take some air off.

No noises because of the hydraulic tube, i stuffed some pipe foam in the frame and it worked wonders.
Shifting was crisp, on time and no noises.
The handlebar seemed sturdy and comfortable, and it ended up being the only part of the bike to suffer with the fall, some scratches. I just think 700mm is a bit much for me
The neco headset also behaved very well, no noises, no play. 
Just notice some noise from either the pedal or the BB30 bearings, must take a better look

The rear axle nut has not tight at the end of the ride, not sure i forgot to tight or if it come loose by itself... read more people have this problem with xmiplay axles so got to do some more testing

Not a fan of the Rocket Ron Evo on the front, accepting suggestions.... come from a the Maxxis Ikon and seemed a lot better.

Could be just because i haven't ridden in almost 2 months, but the ride comfort seemed a bit off compared with my 26'' Axman frame. It could be also tires too inflated.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 04:07:51 AM by Arraider »

brmeyer135

« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2015, 12:58:54 PM »
check your chainring bolts for possible noise
I would have thought with a bolt hole a little out of alignment, a little filing wouldn't fix your issue.
Good that you are up and running.  Nice ride.  You have a weight?
Beautiful area you have to ride in.

MTB2223

« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »
Please Arraider, stop posting such beautiful  pictures. I'm so jealous :) I like the environment. Maybe a good vacation location for the summer for the family (we all riding mountainbikes).

Nice to see you manage the brake mounting issue. I guess you will never ride a bigger brake at the rear than 160mm.

I see you're riding the bike 2x10. Can you some me the FD cable output and the FD ? I'm curious what kind of angle the cable makes and what you think of it ...

Arraider

« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »
yes you guys by now know i'm picky so i really tested everything... if only i had gone for the file option sooner... the problem is that the angle that the screw makes is tighter the higher you put it, so keeping it as low as possible the problem is less noticeable... now this is a remedy off course, but i guess i managed to get it as straight as i can and in a way that i can live with it. Desmanteling the bike, sending it to china, wait for a new frame, assemble all would be a pain :(

i would make a drawing... but i will try my best to explain, the problem was that besides the tilted mounts the inclination of the screw pushed the caliper inside the bike... but keeping it low with the
160 rotor the screw almost has no effect. The problem was when i tried to remedy it with adapters and 180 rotors...

like i said i was never making trouble for the sake of making trouble, if it works fine... ;)

the bolts are sram original, not those extra light but will definitely check

the bike weighs 9.6Kg or 21.16 lbs, with 2 water bottle cages and a gps support

The area is named Arrabida Natural Park in Portugal, near the capital Lisbon, great place to ride, a small set of not very high mountains near the Atlantic. Weather has been superb, but cold, even if i guess is hot for some of you guys for this time of the year ;) If you guys came i can be your tour guide... lots of sun, good wine, amazing beaches.

I will post some pictures of the FD tomorrow, i guess it makes a strange angle but it works flawlessly
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:09:17 PM by Arraider »

MTB2223

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2015, 03:36:09 PM »
The area is named Arrabida Natural Park in Portugal, near the capital Lisbon, great place to ride, a small set of not very high mountains near the Atlantic. Weather has been superb, but cold, even if i guess is hot for some of you guys for this time of the year ;) If you guys came i can be your tour guide... lots of sun, good wine, amazing beaches.
I'll keep that in mind ;) Two years ago I was in Lisbon. I liked the place.
It's never to cold to ride. Even with -19 degrees I don't care ;)

Nice weight for your bike.

Bertzhong

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2015, 09:03:50 PM »
 :D hi, this is Bert, it is great to see you have managed the brake mounting issue!! nice riding pictures!!
Anyway, thanks for your kindness and help.
 ;)

Vipassana

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2015, 09:39:44 AM »
Another beautiful IP-256.  Congrats on the build.  Mine has been going strong for 6 months now and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.  I hope your serves you well.

The loose axle is a super common thing with the Iplay axles.  Mine lost a nut on it's first ride.  A coworker had the same issue recently.  There's something about them that makes them come loose easily.  ???

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »
The loose axle is a super common thing with the Iplay axles.  Mine lost a nut on it's first ride.  A coworker had the same issue recently.  There's something about them that makes them come loose easily.  ???

You referring to the 142x12 rear axle, I assume?

I initially had that issue but then just realized I needed to tighten it down a bit more than I had been. No issues since. So for me it was just a case of being afraid to over tighten and harm the frame and/or hub. Of course, mileage will vary and it's possible that it's actually a problem with the axle - Just not for me.

outriding9800

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »
Shameless plug..

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,306.0.html

:o

Oh yeah.. I completely forgot I ordered that from you! Sorry I didn't plug you myself! It was a great but minor upgrade well worth the peace of mind. Plus, it looks bad ass. 

So yes. I had those issues with the Iplay rear axle and upgraded the bolt to a custom made one from outriding9800 and haven't thought about it since (which is a good thing!)

Before and after:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:47:44 PM by Sitar_Ned »