Author Topic: Lightbicycle AR25 anyone have used this before?  (Read 642 times)

kanuto

Lightbicycle AR25 anyone have used this before?
« on: January 16, 2024, 12:17:27 AM »
Anyone have experience using this wheelset before?
Any feedbacks? Also which tyre is compatible with this?
I'm a bit skeptical about the hybrid hookless.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/AR25-disc-carbon-gravel-bike-wheelset-700c-asymmetric.html

jonathanf2

Re: Lightbicycle AR25 anyone have used this before?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2024, 12:03:56 PM »
Someone built a bike with this wheelset in the gravel sub-forum. The weight savings is massive compared to any other weight weenie component.

https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4670.0.html

Also Light Bicycle seems to have a fairly solid reputation and you get a standard 5 year warranty or pay $100 USD and get a lifetime warranty if any issues with your wheels arise.

JohnnyRabbit

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2024, 12:13:11 PM »
I bought a wheelset last year for my road bike and had a look at Light Bicycle. for custom wheels I would go for another company as LB are very expensive compared to other companies.

I bought from BTLOS instead, same hubs, spokes and specs and they were way less expensive than the quote Light Bicycle sent me.

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2024, 12:50:21 PM »
I bought a wheelset last year for my road bike and had a look at Light Bicycle. for custom wheels I would go for another company as LB are very expensive compared to other companies.

I bought from BTLOS instead, same hubs, spokes and specs and they were way less expensive than the quote Light Bicycle sent me.

Can you spec a disc wheelset from BTLOS that cost under $1000 USD and weighs under 1000g?

Oops: I take it back, that's only for their tubular wheelset.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 11:25:15 AM by jonathanf2 »

coffeebreak

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2024, 08:57:27 PM »
Yeah LB and Far sports both play in higher tier compared to BTLOS or Superteam for that matter. And the price premium is worth it. There's local bike shops building wheels using LB and FS rims here in the USA and have a solid reputation. It's still much cheaper than any other western brand though for that weight class.

Sakizashi

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 01:00:56 AM »
I've built wheels with LB rims and they really do hold up vs. the top brands out there. When their Falcon / Recon Pro line launched they were one of the only brands to be building wheels like Enve was, complete with no finish needed out of the mold and bladder extraction done the same way.

Their weak spot is lack of aero testing and development but otherwise their wheels are the real deal. Nearly certain they or their parent company is also the OEM behind Duke rims as well as brands like Nobl. I also have a set of Duke Lucky Jacks, the older ones I have don't have the differential profile and are the as far profile and weight are the same as a LB rim. The list of pro MTBers and wins on those wheels is pretty impressive.

I personally don't think they are the same quality as Farsports. They are better, to the point where they are past the point of diminishing returns in terms of rim quality. If i was building a top of the line gravel or XC wheelset for myself, i.e., looking for light high quality rims vs. looking for top of line aero performance, they would be my first choice even over Enve or Zipp.