Author Topic: Yishunbike R1058-D vs Velobuild VB-R-268  (Read 692 times)

FlandersCyclist

Yishunbike R1058-D vs Velobuild VB-R-268
« on: January 25, 2024, 04:53:32 AM »
Hi all,

I'm looking to build an 'all round' road bike on a budget, combination of aero/lightweight and the necessary stiffness.
In order to save costs, i was planning to use a secondhand ultegra R8020 disc groupset (can be found for approx 300 euro because people upgrade to 12 speed).

In terms of frames, I hesitate between the Yishun R1058-D and the Velobuild VB-R-268 in size 58.
What would be the best frame for this, would there be a difference be between mechanical cable routing between these frames?

Is there a discernable quality difference between the frames? The Yishun R1058-D is a bit more expensive of the two and cannot be painted by them, while Velobuild offers this for 90 USD.
The velobuild doesn't seem to have any reviews because it's newer, so this has more risk i guess?

Many thanks ofr the information

ENEP

Re: Yishunbike R1058-D vs Velobuild VB-R-268
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 05:15:44 AM »
Yishunbike all day every day if your budget allows it.
Better quality all over. They are painted black and paint quality is good, so not delivered unpainted.

toxin

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 05:16:43 AM »
Velobuild is a qc minefield

FlandersCyclist

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 06:02:04 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, it'll probably be the Yishun then.
Does anyone know if there is a difference in the stiffness of the frame?

cramy

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 06:08:16 AM »
Hi all,

I'm looking to build an 'all round' road bike on a budget, combination of aero/lightweight and the necessary stiffness.
In order to save costs, i was planning to use a secondhand ultegra R8020 disc groupset (can be found for approx 300 euro because people upgrade to 12 speed).

In terms of frames, I hesitate between the Yishun R1058-D and the Velobuild VB-R-268 in size 58.
What would be the best frame for this, would there be a difference be between mechanical cable routing between these frames?

Is there a discernable quality difference between the frames? The Yishun R1058-D is a bit more expensive of the two and cannot be painted by them, while Velobuild offers this for 90 USD.
The velobuild doesn't seem to have any reviews because it's newer, so this has more risk i guess?

Many thanks ofr the information

what is the price you are getting for the Yishun R1058-D ?

FlandersCyclist

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2024, 06:42:51 AM »
what is the price you are getting for the Yishun R1058-D ?
€941, included shipping from Germany with all taxes paid.
With velobuild this would be €689,27, including custom paint (otherwise approx -€80)

PLA

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2024, 06:47:02 AM »
That'll be 941 european rupees well spent. I'm thoroughly enjoying my yishun.
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

chughes

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2024, 09:41:39 AM »
Have not tried those frames Have the VB168 and a Yishun. My experience and research shows that Yishun offers better quality framesets. Yes VB is more responsive to questions, but there are less issues with Yishun. The finish tends to be much better than VB.

FlandersCyclist

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024, 09:58:27 AM »
Seems to be going towards the Yishun here.
Does anyone know if there is a discernable difference regarding the carbon layup/fiber quality/structural quality of the frame (so not the finish)?

patliean1

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 10:30:22 AM »
Seems to be going towards the Yishun here.
Does anyone know if there is a discernable difference regarding the carbon layup/fiber quality/structural quality of the frame (so not the finish)?

If I may ask you...what is it you are really looking to know in regards to both of these frames?

We are all here to help. Questions like these make me believe there is some transparency missing or underlying motive.

FlandersCyclist

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2024, 12:42:08 PM »
If I may ask you...what is it you are really looking to know in regards to both of these frames?

We are all here to help. Questions like these make me believe there is some transparency missing or underlying motive.
I am going to briefly outline my situation, in the hope that this will make my needs clearer.
I started cycling approx 2 years ago, using a 10 year old, rim brake bicycle with a basic aluminium wheelset.
The bicycle is a chinese endurance frame, imported and branded (and overpriced) by a local bikeshop, but it's soft as a noodle in the bottom bracket and headtube (while also not being to comfy either, due to the small tire clearance and 31.4mm seatpost).
(I've compared it with an S-Works SL7 of a riding buddy, night and day difference).

Now I want to upgrade in terms of frame and wheelset, but because my budget is limited to approx 2k euro, I am looking to a chinese frame and second hand compontents (I also like the mechanics of a bicycle, so building it myself is something I will enjoy).

In terms of the type of bike rides I plan with the bike, I do criteriums (flat), longer bike rides in Belgium (cobbled classic roads and occasionally the ardennes) and 1-2 times a year in the alps.
So I want a bike that is sufficiently aero, not too heavy (<8kg), sufficiently stiff where it needs to be stiff (unlike my current bike), and ideally also sufficiently comfortable (my list is getting long, and I know there will always be compromises, especially on this budget. I don't expect S-Works SL7 performance either, but want to get as close to it as possible).

In terms of possible frames for my purposes, my eye fell on the VB 218 & the Yishun 1058, but if you guys know of other frames that would be suitable for me, suggestions are always welcome  :D.
Given that the VB 218 is a 250 euros cheaper than the Yishun (and that I can choose it in a colour of my liking without a big extra cost, not entirely necessary though), this one is my preference (+ slightly larger tyre clearance for the VB-268, so possibility for wider tyres on the cobbles.)
 However, now I ride with 25mm tyres, so 30mm might be an improvement too). But if there is quality difference in the desired features of the frame (sufficient stiffness, aero), I'd rather pay 250 euros more than regret my purchase.

@Patrick, I already watched several videos of yours and saw that you have had several VeloBuild models - 168, 177, CX-002 (which you rated higher in terms of build quality than the 168?) - and you also ride a Yishun now. How do you rate the different bike brands?
With the VB 268 being a newer (and hopefully better) version of the 168, I had hoped that most of this bike's downsides had already disappeared, but as long as there are no reviews of it, this is obviously guessing;

Stephiso

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2024, 02:42:40 PM »
I am also interested in those 2 frames so +1 from me on those questions!

I originally was aiming for a Winspace but if there are no big sales coming around the chinese new years, i will probably look at these alternatives.

Also, how much does stiffness and all that really matter for me who's basically a newbie rider with a mere 200w ftp @ ~70kg. I will probably not push either frame to even 50% of its capabilities so why pay a few thousands more....except for the looks and brand of the bike  :-X