Author Topic: Budget Build  (Read 43029 times)

MTB2223

Re: Budget Build
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2015, 12:48:02 PM »
I believe it means you can use a special bracket/hardware kit to mount the shifter and the brake lever together.
This is correct.

bdub

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2015, 12:59:42 PM »
Aww OK makes sense. I can use them normally though correct?

DECIM8

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2015, 01:49:44 PM »
Can someone explain to me what I-Spec B Model mean on XT? From what I can tell the brake lever and shifter are combined?

Just be mindful that when you order hydraulic brakes from Europe they often come "moto" style. Moto style is front brake on the right and is more common in the EU. Mountain bikes in the US have the front brake on the left. All it means is that you MAY have to swap the hydraulic lines. On Shimano hydraulics you may need new olives to do this. Some EU sellers note which style they are, some do not. Just something to be mindful of.

davidd

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2015, 02:13:23 PM »
Can someone explain to me what I-Spec B Model mean on XT? From what I can tell the brake lever and shifter are combined?

Shimano have two systems of mounting the shifter on the brake lever, the original I-spec (A?) and the later I spec B.  It's well explained here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/difference-between-shimano-i-spec-types-a-and-b

I bought XT brakes from bike-discount in the last few weeks. Both came with looonng hoses and would need trimming front and back.  A spare olive and insert were also in the box.

carbonazza

« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2015, 02:54:36 PM »
brakes from Europe they often come "moto" style

Well... there is only one country in Europe where they drive on the "other side": the UK.
All other countries have the front brake on the left.

davidd

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2015, 03:08:42 PM »
Well... there is only one country in Europe where they drive on the "other side": the UK.
All other countries have the front brake on the left.

Ah Carbonazza, Greetings from Ireland ! I know we're small but last time I looked we were still in Europe (whether thats good or bad is open to discussion) And we drive on the left.  ;)

carbonazza

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2015, 03:14:06 PM »
davidd, yeah.... when I clicked "Post", a doubt flashed but it was too late :)

davidd

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2015, 03:21:49 PM »
davidd, yeah.... when I clicked "Post", a doubt flashed but it was too late :)

No problem, anyone from a country that pioneered chips with mayo and cyclocross can get away with anything.. ;D

Patrick C.

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2015, 03:22:09 PM »
Isn't Ireland part of England? 

[flame suit]   :)

I ordered from Merlin and got the 'normal' front brake on the left.  The hose is long, but not so long that it has overcome my laziness to make me trim it (it just makes a slightly larger loop).

I wish I had known about the i spec mounts before I ordered-  I didn't realize I had to specify the mounts.  Some people prefer separate mounts to have them at different angles, but I think I'd prefer to have the shifters further inboard, more tucked under the levers.  Replacement mounts are pretty pricey for what they are, so I'm sticking with the two clamps.

davidd

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2015, 03:28:17 PM »
Isn't Ireland part of England? 

[flame suit]   :)

Careful now or I'll send Conor "the notorious" McGregor over to sort you out  ;)

On I spec; I got it this time as I like the idea, however I'll have to see how it works in practice.

bdub

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2015, 03:44:55 PM »
It's weird on Merlin they don't specify the I spec on the brake levers so who knows maybe they won't combine with the Ispec shifters. Guess we will find out in a few weeks because I caved in and bought the XT group instead of SLX.

davidd

« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2015, 03:49:51 PM »
It's weird on Merlin they don't specify the I spec on the brake levers so who knows maybe they won't combine with the Ispec shifters. Guess we will find out in a few weeks because I caved in and bought the XT group instead of SLX.

I wouldn't worry. I'd imagine that all current sets are B compatible, to the point that it's no longer worth mentioning.  Nice levers!

Patrick C.

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »
You really can't go wrong either way.  You can justify it by saying you won't be as tempted to upgrad in the future, so in the long run it will save you money. 

Disclaimer- don't try to use that justification outside of a bike forum.

bdub

« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2015, 04:37:33 PM »
Awesome well everything has been ordered. Now to just wait for delivery and pray for better weather so I can ride soon.

brmeyer135

« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2015, 04:57:04 PM »
I ordered Shimano shifters from Merlin in i-spec.
If you don't like the ergonomics of i-spec - pretty much shifter sits on brake with 3/4" left to right adjustment.
If you like your brakes angled down(you standing out of your seat) but like your shifter angled for when your sitting - no go...they sit at the same angle.

Otherwise, you can't beat the RS Reba fork.  Good price...great weight and comes in 100 or 120 if desired:  see here:  http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/rock-shox-reba-rl-29-solo-air-120-tapered-ml15-black-255259/wg_id-8722