Author Topic: Budget Build  (Read 43018 times)

bdub

Re: Budget Build
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2015, 06:14:26 PM »
I ordered Shimano shifters from Merlin in i-spec.
If you don't like the ergonomics of i-spec - pretty much shifter sits on brake with 3/4" left to right adjustment.
If you like your brakes angled down(you standing out of your seat) but like your shifter angled for when your sitting - no go...they sit at the same angle.

Otherwise, you can't beat the RS Reba fork.  Good price...great weight and comes in 100 or 120 if desired:  see here:  http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/rock-shox-reba-rl-29-solo-air-120-tapered-ml15-black-255259/wg_id-8722

Hmm well I hope the I-spec works out and fits me OK.

Pretty much the exact Reba I got except went for 100 instead of 120.

foamman1

« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2015, 07:04:31 PM »
Bdub,
  I know this may be a little to little a little too late ,but i just recieved an email from Ribble for extra 10% off. DISC10 Well maybe it will help someone else.

bdub

« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
Bdub,
  I know this may be a little to little a little too late ,but i just recieved an email from Ribble for extra 10% off. DISC10 Well maybe it will help someone else.

Thanks foamman1, I don't need it but I am sure someone could use it.

bdub

« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2015, 09:18:59 PM »
Received my frame today! Frame was packed so well it took me 30 minutes just to get all the bubble wrap off of everything. I have no idea how these things get damaged during shipping but it's by far the best packed package I have ever received. Also purchased the seat post, handlebar, and headset. All came looking good.

Now to wait for the other stuff so I can get this thing built.

Arraider

« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2015, 03:03:14 AM »
nice, now comes the fun part..  ;)

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2015, 08:38:47 AM »
Received my frame today! Frame was packed so well it took me 30 minutes just to get all the bubble wrap off of everything. I have no idea how these things get damaged during shipping but it's by far the best packed package I have ever received. Also purchased the seat post, handlebar, and headset. All came looking good.

Now to wait for the other stuff so I can get this thing built.

I agree, they are well packaged.  However, on my IP-057, one of the drop outs poked through the box and got a little scraped up.  I mentioned it to Peter in hopes that XMI covers the drop outs with bubble wrap on future shipments.  Once I mounted the r/d you could not see the damage to the rear drop out.

While it seems with all the bubble wrap that the frames are well packaged, sometimes the boxes are abused by the shippers.  I think they see that it comes from China and they make an extra effort to beat up the boxes even more.  With all the frames that are shipped, I would like to see XMIplay create some custom foam pieces to take the place of the bubble wrap and do an even better job protecting the frame.  However, custom packaging costs money, bubble wrap and tape are cheap so I doubt we will see any changes.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

bdub

« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »
The dropouts were wrapped so maybe he did listen to you after all. I agree, custom spacers in the corners would have helped but from what I have seen nothing would have stopped the damage some people have had on their frames.

In the end this frame is coming a really long way and a lot of different people are touching the box and throwing it into planes and trucks. It's a miracle we don't hear about more damaged frames.

bdub

« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
It's been in the 50's and 60's here for the last few weeks. while I wait for my components to be delivered and I am getting really anxious to try out this new bike. Of course as soon as I finally get all my stuff it will snow the next day.

bdub

« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2015, 05:05:06 PM »
Random question, but did those of you who used Jagwire cables, use the inner liner with the runs through the frame or just the bare cable?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2015, 06:41:00 PM »
For my IP-057, the shift cable was run bare with a ferrule at each end.  Not sure it would work right if you tried using a cable liner of any kind in the frame.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »
I tried using the inner lining that comes with the Jagwire cables but the fit was too tight.. I probably could have gotten it through but I was literally to the point of having to jam it through and it was moving a centimeter at a time. Finally decided it was best to just discard the inner lining, and all worked fine. Guess I'll never know if shifting performance would be better with the liner.. I wish the inner cable routing was the same diameter as it is on the brake side because then you it'd definitely slide through with ease. Sucks to buy the fancy cables, read about how the super duper teflon lining provides superior shifting, only to not be able to use it. I'd probably never notice it one way or the other, but I think it's safe to say that most of us here want to get maximum performance for our dollar, no matter how incremental the performance increase is.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 07:11:08 PM by Sitar_Ned »

MTNRCKT

« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2015, 07:42:53 PM »
^^ Yep. Pretty much my experience exactly.

bdub

« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2015, 12:01:29 AM »
Well that saves me a lot of frustration in trying to get it to work. To bad but oh well what can you do.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2015, 07:01:46 AM »
I did put on a cable lubricant when installing my r/d and remote lockout cables.  I think it was Cablemagic, lubes the cable and helps prevent corrosion.  My shifting is as smooth and accurate as the day I built the bike.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

bdub

« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
I did put on a cable lubricant when installing my r/d and remote lockout cables.  I think it was Cablemagic, lubes the cable and helps prevent corrosion.  My shifting is as smooth and accurate as the day I built the bike.

Interesting, everywhere I read says you don't need to lubricate modern cables. I may look into that, it can't hurt.