Author Topic: New Gravel Frame Ican Graro  (Read 15813 times)

Asco

Re: New Gravel Frame Ican Graro
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2024, 07:36:16 AM »
Tyres are 44mm Tufo Thundero, they measure 45mm and I have about 6mm space left between tyre and chainstay

Thanks for this, nice build. What about the seatstay and fork clearances? Is the chainstay the limiting factor?

KingLex

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2024, 10:36:46 AM »
About 8mm clearance in the fork

Stone 44mm chainring arrived, no extra spacers necessary.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 08:38:04 AM by KingLex »

Asco

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2024, 07:00:49 AM »
Update on my purchase:

I bought the frame as a preorder from the EU warehouse back on April 30, for delivery June 30 (this was the only option).

On June 8, I wrote to Ican (Perry) to confirm that the frame was on the way as planned. I was told that the frame was on the way, and expected to reach the warehouse around June 30. Note that the preorder said "for delivery June 30", so this is already a delay.

On June 26, I again asked for a status update and was told the frame would be arriving at the warehouse "these days".

After not having heard anything I wrote again 4 days ago with no reply. I then wrote again this morning, and was told "Sorry for the delay. The frame is still on the way" with no further explanation. I find this whole process very frustrating. Of course a bit of a delay is not a big deal but when I preordered it 2 months out there is really no excuse for a delay. Combined with them not wanting to tell me that what's going on is pretty frustrating.

Update: I have now been informed the frames are in customs check. Hopefully it won't be long.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 02:34:16 AM by Asco »

gofasterstripes

« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2024, 05:31:18 AM »
About 8mm clearance in the fork

Stone 44mm chainring arrived, no extra spacers necessary.

looks good, I was able to fit my rotor 3d30 chainset with 52-36, it needed an extra 2mm spacers , sadly there isn't enough height in the FD mount to use it.

I'm waiting on the getting the fork cut down before completing the build over the weekend but so far it has been really straight forward.

Where did you get the chainstay protector from, the design looks cool?

gofasterstripes

« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2024, 05:42:52 AM »
Update on my purchase:

I bought the frame as a preorder from the EU warehouse back on April 30, for delivery June 30 (this was the only option).

On June 8, I wrote to Ican (Perry) to confirm that the frame was on the way as planned. I was told that the frame was on the way, and expected to reach the warehouse around June 30. Note that the preorder said "for delivery June 30", so this is already a delay.

On June 26, I again asked for a status update and was told the frame would be arriving at the warehouse "these days".

After not having heard anything I wrote again 4 days ago with no reply. I then wrote again this morning, and was told "Sorry for the delay. The frame is still on the way" with no further explanation. I find this whole process very frustrating. Of course a bit of a delay is not a big deal but when I preordered it 2 months out there is really no excuse for a delay. Combined with them not wanting to tell me that what's going on is pretty frustrating.

Update: I have now been informed the frames are in customs check. Hopefully it won't be long.

Hopefully you'll get the frame soon and send some pics of the build   :)

I looked at the pre-order option before I placed my order and couldn't see any benefit as it was the same price but without the customization option or the colour option I wanted.

With the for customization the turn around time for me was about 9 weeks including a $50 labour day discount

Asco

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2024, 06:18:24 AM »
looks good, I was able to fit my rotor 3d30 chainset with 52-36, it needed an extra 2mm spacers , sadly there isn't enough height in the FD mount to use it.

I'm waiting on the getting the fork cut down before completing the build over the weekend but so far it has been really straight forward.

Nice to see some big gears :D. Makes sense that the 52-36 wouldn't fit as standard, looks like that crankset has a narrow Shimano road chainline. Pushing it out 2mm puts it in line with e.g. a GRX crankset. Unfortunate about the FD height. Would a 50 fit do you think?

Edit: A bit of googling let me to this, might be a solution? https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/store/AeroCoach-front-derailleur-spacer-p202234350

Hopefully you'll get the frame soon and send some pics of the build   :)

I looked at the pre-order option before I placed my order and couldn't see any benefit as it was the same price but without the customization option or the colour option I wanted.

With the for customization the turn around time for me was about 9 weeks including a $50 labour day discount

The reason I went for the EU warehouse option is so that I wouldn't have to deal with customs. It was a peace of mind thing. In hindsight that was a really bad decision. The newest development is that Perry has offered to send a frame directly from China instead, guaranteeing no extra fees. "Due to the serious congestion and blockage in shipping".

I have accepted this as I don't really have much of a choice at this point. He's saying I will receive it in 15 working days, i.e. 3 weeks. That means it will show up just as my summer vacation is over  :-\.

Will definitely take some pics when the build is done!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 06:29:05 AM by Asco »

gofasterstripes

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2024, 08:40:28 AM »
Nice to see some big gears :D. Makes sense that the 52-36 wouldn't fit as standard, looks like that crankset has a narrow Shimano road chainline. Pushing it out 2mm puts it in line with e.g. a GRX crankset. Unfortunate about the FD height. Would a 50 fit do you think?

Edit: A bit of googling let me to this, might be a solution? https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/store/AeroCoach-front-derailleur-spacer-p202234350

I think a 50 would squeeze in , I only put the road crank on as I had just stripped down my road bike and it was to hand.

thanks for the link, I did look at those and further down the line I may get something like that but for now I'll just put on the 46-36 chainrings I used on my cross bike for the Dirty Reiver, they'll work a treat and save going down a rabbit hole for a little while. I need to save my energy for agonizing over which 47-50mm tyres to buy

The reason I went for the EU warehouse option is so that I wouldn't have to deal with customs. It was a peace of mind thing. In hindsight that was a really bad decision. The newest development is that Perry has offered to send a frame directly from China instead, guaranteeing no extra fees. "Due to the serious congestion and blockage in shipping".

The shipping I got was inclusive of customs duty and was included in the price, it was surprisingly quick once the frame was boxed up. If I get on with the frame once it is built up I can see myself getting another frame with all the mounting holes filled in and setting it up solely for cross duties

I have accepted this as I don't really have much of a choice at this point. He's saying I will receive it in 15 working days, i.e. 3 weeks. That means it will show up just as my summer vacation is over  :-\.

looking at my tracking info, it took 13 days in total door to door. Did you stick with the same colour?

Will definitely take some pics when the build is done!

Asco

« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2024, 03:48:35 PM »
I think a 50 would squeeze in , I only put the road crank on as I had just stripped down my road bike and it was to hand. thanks for the link, I did look at those and further down the line I may get something like that but for now I'll just put on the 46-36 chainrings I used on my cross bike for the Dirty Reiver, they'll work a treat and save going down a rabbit hole for a little while.

Good to know, my plan is 50/34.

I need to save my energy for agonizing over which 47-50mm tyres to buy
I know  :D. I think I've settled on trying to squeeze in a 50mm Terra Hardpack, which tests really well on BRR both in rolling and puncture resistance on top of being really cheap. Clearance will be tight in the rear though.
I also just realized that you can get the Schwalbe G-one RS in a 50mm, although it's not the fastest version.

The shipping I got was inclusive of customs duty and was included in the price, it was surprisingly quick once the frame was boxed up. If I get on with the frame once it is built up I can see myself getting another frame with all the mounting holes filled in and setting it up solely for cross duties

Yeah I was a bit confused and just went with what seemed to me to be the easy option. Good to hear you like it enough to get another one!

looking at my tracking info, it took 13 days in total door to door. Did you stick with the same colour?

Good to know. I did stick with the chameleon. Hopefully I won't regret it  ;D

gofasterstripes

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2024, 02:45:33 AM »
I'll take some pics over the weekend once the 46 chaining is on so you can get a better idea of the clearances.

I'm going to look at some 47mm Trace Pro's, I've got some 42mm pathfinders which are good and very puncture resistant but I'd like something with a bit more bite. Plus they got better rolling resistance figures than the pathfinder which is a bit counter intuitive and they're also relatively cheap.

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/tracer-pro-2bliss-ready/p/156476?color=231012-156476&searchText=00019-4312

https://granfondo-cycling.com/specialized-tracer-pro-review/

the paint looks decently done, I don't think you'll be dispointed

gofasterstripes

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2024, 03:54:25 AM »
I had a play about with the spacers on the crank and got it all nice and snug

It's only missing a few mm to be workable with a 52 tooth chainring. I might look into getting a 50-34 set up,for me I think that would be a great option for some of the faster gravel events. At the Dirty Reiver I found I was either spinning out or grinding at points with 46-36 combo and 34-11 cassette

I've just got the brakes to set up and I should be good to go  :)

gofasterstripes

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2024, 07:10:13 AM »
First ride on my Graro today, its currently set up with ultegra 11 speed and road tyres.

I still need to dial in the position but my first impressions were very good, despite the gravel geometry it felt fast and snappy on the road

Asco

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2024, 02:52:34 PM »
Finally an update here. I've received my frame after a lot of frustrating back and forth as described earlier.

Now that I have it, I love it. The paint job is perfect, in the chameleon green. I haven't finished the build, as I'm waiting on a few tools that it turns out I needed, but I've installed Conti Terra Hardpack 50mm tires on G1800 DT Swiss wheels (24IW).
The tires measure 48.5mm, and there is 5mm clearance both front and back. The smallest clearance is actually to the bolt at the top of the fork, which I'll be replacing with something low profile anyway.

WhoDo

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2024, 10:39:41 AM »
Hey,

Can you help me a bit with the cassette, crankset and chainring for this frame?

Would like to know if the Shimano RX600 1x40t would work on this frame, there are no spacers in the box. Should I order some?

I have available a MTB CS-M7000 cassette. Would a 1.85mm spacer make it compatible with the ICAN G25 11s shimano free hub?

Thank you.