Author Topic: Headset cable routing pushing steering to one side  (Read 648 times)

jmullo

Headset cable routing pushing steering to one side
« on: February 24, 2024, 10:00:09 AM »
Di2, so only brake hoses to route through the headset. Front brake hose exits the fork front of the steerer tube, so it doesn't really cause any steering force. Rear brake hose has to go around the steerer tube and some excess hose needs to be tucked into frame to allow full turning. There's limited space inside the frame for the excess hose, so the stiff hose always tends to push the handlebar to one side.

Any tips on how to avoid that?

PLA

Re: Headset cable routing pushing steering to one side
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 08:11:27 PM »
Why does the rear brake hose need to go around the steerer?
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

jmullo

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 03:19:08 PM »
Why does the rear brake hose need to go around the steerer?

Drilling through would probably be a bad idea  ;D

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2024, 07:38:09 AM »
It is a road or gravel bike, right ?
Maybe you did put too much hose inside causing some spring force ?
There is no need that much as the rotation occurs on a small radius.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 02:34:02 AM »
Have you tried it out on the road or only without riding it?
When I built my Hygge frame it had the same problem, but once on the road it was not noticeable...

PLA

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 07:48:03 AM »
Drilling through would probably be a bad idea  ;D

So your rear hose coming through the down tube can only go to one side?
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

jmullo

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 09:51:23 AM »
First time building, haven't ridden yet. I have no idea how much force it would take to really affect driving without hands.

I think I got it pretty ok after some twisting. Now has a small amount of spiral going into the down tube.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 05:57:25 AM »
First time building, haven't ridden yet. I have no idea how much force it would take to really affect driving without hands.

I think I got it pretty ok after some twisting. Now has a small amount of spiral going into the down tube.
Try more or less hose (is it pulling back or pushing ?).. try to route on the other side of the fork. That's not intended. My fully internal bikes have free motion.. when i tilt the bike the handlebar moves freely to left and right

Serge_K

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2024, 11:40:03 AM »
Quoting Taylor Swift, i would say shake it off, shake it off. Unless you've cut it way short or way long, things should settle down once you've turned the bars a few times, ridden it once, shaken it a bit and so on.
Do pay attention to hose bends. If 2 hoses, route one on each side of the steerer, for eg, because it makes more sense.
And depending on the shifters, there's probably a better / worse hose position left / right. Don't cross hoses inside the bars, for eg.
If you pay attention to that, you should have a bike that tracks straight.