Author Topic: Spcycle R065 700C Full Carbon AERO Road Disc Brake Frameset  (Read 9207 times)

soloconjotto

Re: Spcycle R065 700C Full Carbon AERO Road Disc Brake Frameset
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2024, 03:40:30 AM »
I am still building mine. I'll try to share some pictures of the bike within the next few days.

TRS

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2024, 04:58:41 AM »
Just received mine. Size L, unpainted, asked seller to leave carbon weave visible
Frame 1097g, with bolts and hangers 1149
Fork 408, seatpost with clamp 231

Tsunami

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2024, 06:48:06 AM »
Looks like some quite sharp remains near the headtube to me :o

some guy

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2024, 07:07:15 AM »
thank you for sharing! sucks that it came with primer despite your request. the facing on the chainstays looks strange as well. either its not done parallel to the through axle or those through holes are not perpendicular to the axle.

Just received mine. Size L, unpainted, asked seller to leave carbon weave visible

some guy

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2024, 01:29:30 AM »
Could someone tell me how the di2 battery is supposted to be mounted in this frame? Do i understand correctly that spcycle says its to go into the downtube, but there is no hole/hatchet on the bottom of the bb/dt area to access the downtube? And the seatpost is too slim to fit the battery?

Serge_K

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2024, 02:47:03 AM »
Could someone tell me how the di2 battery is supposted to be mounted in this frame? Do i understand correctly that spcycle says its to go into the downtube, but there is no hole/hatchet on the bottom of the bb/dt area to access the downtube? And the seatpost is too slim to fit the battery?
Ghetto drop in the seat tube, that's what i did. i actually 3d printed a hook that i epoxied (?) on the battery so i can fish it out with a metal coat hanger, but on other frames where the battery actually fits in the seat tube, the packing tape i used gets loose and the battery ends up sliding in the seat tube as well, without a hook, so you then have to go fishing for it.
Either way, works fine. Haven't had rattling problems. I'm sure some are doing more elegant things, but i'm not elegant, and if it works, i'm happy.

That head tube area looks horrible, while the walls look pristine, it's weird. It looks so bad it makes you wonder if it could afftect headset stiffness, because i'm pretty sure given how clean the walls are, you're not supposed to have that kind of material bulging there. You'll probably want to file it down a bit to remove sharp edges, otherwise your hoses will have a very rough time, and so will you feeding them through.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

some guy

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2024, 05:49:52 AM »
Ghetto drop in the seat tube, that's what i did. i actually 3d printed a hook that i epoxied (?) on the battery so i can fish it out with a metal coat hanger, but on other frames where the battery actually fits in the seat tube, the packing tape i used gets loose and the battery ends up sliding in the seat tube as well, without a hook, so you then have to go fishing for it.
Either way, works fine. Haven't had rattling problems. I'm sure some are doing more elegant things, but i'm not elegant, and if it works, i'm happy.

Do you own this frame?
 I'm asking because of the stuff mentioned earlier in this thread.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2024, 10:40:17 AM »

That head tube area looks horrible, while the walls look pristine, it's weird. It looks so bad it makes you wonder if it could afftect headset stiffness, because i'm pretty sure given how clean the walls are, you're not supposed to have that kind of material bulging there. You'll probably want to file it down a bit to remove sharp edges, otherwise your hoses will have a very rough time, and so will you feeding them through.

Section of cable tie forming a loop attached to the battery with 1-2 other cable ties would do it as well.

TRS

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2024, 10:54:31 AM »
on my frame just 2 holes  in down tube

Serge_K

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2024, 01:46:25 PM »
Do you own this frame?
 I'm asking because of the stuff mentioned earlier in this thread.

no, i built electronic er9 on winow, long teng and speed carbon (peter) frames and that's what i did with these.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

some guy

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2024, 04:55:47 AM »
thank you, that's what i was looking for! guess i will have to 3d print a bracket for the battery if i get this frame (i prefer to not have it in the seatpost since i will have to remove the latter for transportation).

fiy, i've messaged spcycles about this and they sent me pretty much the same picture showing the two holes, but they are also working on a sl8-style mounting solution, where the battery is mounted under (not inside) the seatpost with a special bracket

on my frame just 2 holes  in down tube

soloconjotto

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2024, 05:44:29 PM »
I finally finished my built and I'm quite pleased.
Bought the frame via AliExpress, as a promotion made it a bit cheaper than buying on SP-Cycles website. Turned out to be 650 USD or 590 EUR including handlebar, chameleon paint job and shipping without additional fees. Shipping only took 15 days to Germany. I ordered too early and was on vacation, so that I asked SP Cycle to delay the shipping as long as possible.

Unfortunately, a couple of spacers and one screw to fix the derailleur hanger were missing. Those were send immediately, after a short notice via AliExpress messages. I also had a couple of questions about the built, which where always answered within one day. So I'd really recommend buying via AliExpress. Communication has been flawless

The paint job looks awesome and is close to perfect. I only had one imperfection near the seatpost, but you have to know where to look and use a magnifier to find it. The clear coating seems to be sufficient, too. The blue and purple chameleon paint seems to be forgiving some minor scratches as well, so absolutely recommend it. I was also thinking about getting a silver chameleon, like many of you got on your Velobuilds, which I was offered on demand. Additional cost and pictures of the blue and purple changed my mind, though.

My build features a SRAM Force D2 groupset, which I bought incrementally via eBay, on sale and of private offers. That way, I ended up with 2600 EUR for the complete bike (excluding Favero Assioma). It's 8,0 kg overall including pedals, bottle cages and wahoo mount as well. Pretty satisfied with the weight at size L of the frame. In terms of the mount for Wahoo or Garmin, there only seems to be one option for the handlebar. I tried something else but failed. If anyone is interested, SP Cycle will point out the right part as well.

My fork weighs 430g, handlebar 410g. Unfortunately, I didn't weigh the frame itself, since I was a bit impatient. It's 1685g including seatpost & thru axles.

The inside of the frame didn't look bad at all and I didn't have any sharp edges near the bottom bracket, seatpost hole or headtube. T47 thread.was perfect for me as a novice to building a bike. Used a Ztto bottom bracket as there isn't much of a choice with DUBs 29mm at 86mm.

There are holes for Di2 cables at front and read derailleur, which are useless for me. Whole frame looks well planned. Of course I bought the frame, because it looks a lot like Canyon Aeroad, which I really like. I have no idea, what the two hole near the bottom bracket are used for, though.

No problems with the seatpost. No slipping, no sounds of the frame. Only problem I experienced on the built was the use of a Deda headset expander. I couldn't fit the Deda into the forks tube since it's just one milimeter too narrow, so that I had to stick with the expander, which was delivered with the frame. Used the ahead cap of the Deda at least.

As far as I can tell it's only thumbs up from my perspective. Have to add that it's my first carbon frame, so I am not rating stiffness, since I don't have much of a comparison. Really like the feel overall, though.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2024, 02:54:40 AM by soloconjotto »

soloconjotto

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2024, 08:15:49 AM »
Any thoughts or questions I could try to answer, yet?

One thing I didn't like mich, was the design of the spacers for the headset. The way they are designed, you always have to fully disassemble brake hoses completely. I had to add one spacer and simply cut a tiny bit out in the middle, so that I could add and remove those a bit more easily.

Maybe the handlebar is also interesting to someone. I plan to add a hideout for my Airtag somewhere down there as well.

mtm

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2024, 10:24:14 AM »
I would be interested to hear wheel and tyre clearance. Is it possible to measure inside width at fork, seat stays and chain stays around where the tyre sits as well as ~30-40mm further towards hub (around to where the widest point of the rim would often be)?

soloconjotto

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2024, 02:57:46 PM »
Only measured fork and seat stays so far. Chain stays will follow. Measured with my wheels inside. Those are 75 mm high from inside of the rim to the top of the tire. So it's 75 in between the measurements.