Author Topic: Installing bottom bracket internal routing guide  (Read 255 times)

ausmtb8989

Installing bottom bracket internal routing guide
« on: March 02, 2024, 12:59:23 PM »
How does one install this bottom bracket internal routing guide?
see attached pic.  The top part sits inside the bottom bracket, and bottom part screws into it from the outside.  If I insert the top part separately, its impossible to find the hole to screw it in as it moves around and gets lost in there.  If I have both top and bottom joined its almost impossible to insert it in. I did manage to insert it in together once, but the other issue is the top part notches that holds the cables are extremely tight and it was preventing me to screw it in. 
Any help is appreciated

carbonazza

Re: Installing bottom bracket internal routing guide
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 05:42:30 AM »
There are many models of these.
And generally they are a pain if removed.
I would unscrew it almost to the end to have the maximum freedom of movement
Put the inner part inside.
And pull it to force the inner part to wrap the hose, and make contact to the tube, and screw.

When nothing work, disassembling the BB to have access is generally the only option.
Surgical pliers you can lock on is my life saving tool in general for this.

Serge_K

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 11:34:28 AM »

Photo please? I had problems with a FD insert thing on a VB frame that i spent forever re-attaching to the frame, i dont remember what happened, other than wasting tremendous time and wanting to hurt people. I got there eventually but it was so frustrating and pointless.

ausmtb8989

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 05:45:05 PM »
There are many models of these.
And generally they are a pain if removed.
I would unscrew it almost to the end to have the maximum freedom of movement
Put the inner part inside.
And pull it to force the inner part to wrap the hose, and make contact to the tube, and screw.

When nothing work, disassembling the BB to have access is generally the only option.

Eventually managed to get it in, like you suggested, unscrew to the max as possible but remain connected.  One of my hoses was also too wide for the guide hole, so trimmed (burnt) the middle plastic section to allow more space.  Even doing this, it was a huge PIA to get push it back into the BB.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 05:48:29 PM by ausmtb8989 »