Author Topic: Sensah Team Pro left shifter unable to index 105 FD properly  (Read 687 times)

coffeebreak

Sensah Team Pro left shifter unable to index 105 FD properly
« on: March 11, 2024, 05:23:57 PM »
Some background - I replaced Ultegra 6800 shifters coupled to 105 R7000 FD and RD on my indoor trainer bike with Sensah 2x11 Team Pro shifters. While I have plenty of experience indexing 2x Shimano FDs, with this Sensah, I am at a loss. The trim function just doesn't seem to work when the chain is on big chainring. Even the slightest flick sends the chain to small ring. There is no trim click as such. The same FD was fine with Ultegra shifters so I am ruling out FD as a problem.

Played around with limit screws, cable tension and usual FD tricks but this shifter just won't budge. I noticed that on a 2x Shimano FD-shifter combo, usually there are 4 clicks - 2 main and 2 trim. On Sensah I can count only 3 - 1 for the big ring and 2 for the small ring.

Anyone with same problem or have any unusual hacks for this because I seem to have run out of YouTube tutorials.

bichler.bua

Re: Sensah Team Pro left shifter unable to index 105 FD properly
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 08:15:14 AM »
Have you been running Sensah before? Front shifting works different than Shimano, three consecutive clicks are needed for shifting to the small ring, one large swing for shifting up.
At least for the models I am running (with Sensah front derailleur).

coffeebreak

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 11:32:31 AM »
No, first time. 3 clicks to downshift? Mine is 1 click. Upshift is 1 click too or 2 clicks if I utilized the trim click.

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 03:28:29 PM »
You need to firmly pull the shift cables through the housing or you'll get wonky shifts. The left shift trim is the same as Shimano, but since the brake lever handles all shifting it's 3 up, 3 down.

Sensah shifters are finicky when it comes to slack in the cable housing, so I always make sure to firmly pull the shift cables through the housing before cutting the cables to length.

coffeebreak

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 12:37:49 PM »
You need to firmly pull the shift cables through the housing or you'll get wonky shifts. The left shift trim is the same as Shimano, but since the brake lever handles all shifting it's 3 up, 3 down.

Sensah shifters are finicky when it comes to slack in the cable housing, so I always make sure to firmly pull the shift cables through the housing before cutting the cables to length.

Yesterday I re-did the whole FD cabling and indexing. No dice. I am starting to wonder if that shifter is faulty. Gave the cable a nice tug and made sure there is no slag.

zerstorer

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 05:42:38 PM »
Have you tried releasing both limit screws totally first to see if you get any form of trim. What I noticed with my Sensah Empire is that you can totally eliminate certain trim positions if the limit screws are tightened.

jonathanf2

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 11:35:00 PM »
I would disconnect the the shift cable from the FD and verify you have all 3 shift clicks. Pull the shift cable to creat tension while shifting the lever. Also make sure you're hoods aren't interfering with the shifters. Also it could be an issue where the cable isn't properly seated in the shift mechanism. I've gotten Team Pro shifters to shift the Ultegra/105 FD and even the LTwoo R9 FD with no issues.

coffeebreak

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2024, 04:37:39 PM »
Have you tried releasing both limit screws totally first to see if you get any form of trim. What I noticed with my Sensah Empire is that you can totally eliminate certain trim positions if the limit screws are tightened.
This is something I didn't do. Thanks, I will try it! I did release the cable and loosened L/H screws somewhat but let me try again by fully loosening them.

I would disconnect the the shift cable from the FD and verify you have all 3 shift clicks. Pull the shift cable to creat tension while shifting the lever. Also make sure you're hoods aren't interfering with the shifters. Also it could be an issue where the cable isn't properly seated in the shift mechanism. I've gotten Team Pro shifters to shift the Ultegra/105 FD and even the LTwoo R9 FD with no issues.

Did disengage the cable from FD and shifted the lever as you mentioned. I *THINK* there are 3 clicks though I felt the movement of cable on only two main shifts the little trim movement wasn't there or may be I didn't notice. Compared it to my R6800 and there is a distinct trim movement apart from two large movements of the cable.

jonathanf2

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 07:59:31 PM »
This is something I didn't do. Thanks, I will try it! I did release the cable and loosened L/H screws somewhat but let me try again by fully loosening them.

Did disengage the cable from FD and shifted the lever as you mentioned. I *THINK* there are 3 clicks though I felt the movement of cable on only two main shifts the little trim movement wasn't there or may be I didn't notice. Compared it to my R6800 and there is a distinct trim movement apart from two large movements of the cable.

I would double check that your cable housing is positioned properly into the shifters. It should be deeply recessed. It could be causing the poor shifting. Also are you shifting all the way through? You should fee the final third click at the furthest in-board position.

coffeebreak

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2024, 09:59:14 AM »
Just an update. Given up on these and ordered 105 R7000 shifters for $110 for the pair. For comparison the Sensah shifters were $65 which are worthless now. In the meanwhile I am riding these Sensah shifters as it is and noticed one more problem.

Since up shift, downshift, braking is all handled by one lever there seems to be a mechanism that stops one from shifting accidentally while braking or vice versa. That mechanism isn't perfect. I often run into situation where I try to brake but it resists first and then with an audible click the lever moves. There's a very short but noticeable interval where the shifters gets confused before getting into action. It happens mostly on rear shifter. Front one is okay so clearly there are issues with quality. Not good. I don't think I'll go with such design again.