Author Topic: Wheels upgrade  (Read 795 times)

BeR

Wheels upgrade
« on: March 13, 2024, 12:47:08 PM »
Hello,

I have the Giant SLR 2 36 mm (disc - tubeless) and I want to upgrade it. I found two models :
- Elite edge 40 mm
- ICAN Aero 40

Do you have a preference or advice ? Or will you recommend another model for around 700 USD ?

coffeebreak

Re: Wheels upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 12:59:04 PM »
Hello,

I have the Giant SLR 2 36 mm (disc - tubeless) and I want to upgrade it. I found two models :
- Elite edge 40 mm
- ICAN Aero 40

Do you have a preference or advice ? Or will you recommend another model for around 700 USD ?

I have ICAN Aero 50 and Elite SLT (not edge). The Elitewheels is a proven, well loved brand and Edge is a fantastic wheelset by all means if you read reviews. However between SLT and Aero 50, the Aero is simply better in the way it rolls and sound it makes. The SLT hubs are incredibly loud. And I guess Edge also has those loud hubs. Aero's are almost silent comparatively and I love it for that reason. They have also stayed true for the longest time compared to any other wheelset I have had.

Very light, accelerate reasonably well and keep up the speed exceedingly well. Don't think you will unhappy with either. From my experience, in future if I am to choose between ICAN and Elite I think I will go with ICAN.

BalticSea

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2024, 01:12:27 PM »
I have ICAN Aero 50 and Elite SLT (not edge). The Elitewheels is a proven, well loved brand and Edge is a fantastic wheelset by all means if you read reviews. However between SLT and Aero 50, the Aero is simply better in the way it rolls and sound it makes. The SLT hubs are incredibly loud. And I guess Edge also has those loud hubs. Aero's are almost silent comparatively and I love it for that reason. They have also stayed true for the longest time compared to any other wheelset I have had.

Very light, accelerate reasonably well and keep up the speed exceedingly well. Don't think you will unhappy with either. From my experience, in future if I am to choose between ICAN and Elite I think I will go with ICAN.

SLT wheelset has pawl hub, Edge has ratchet hub.

P.S. Sound is subjective, for me the louder the hub, the better. Serves as a bell for unaware people and an alarm clock for the neighbours   8)

Serge_K

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 04:37:43 PM »
You can get anything you want from FarSports, and if that's of interest, they have rims that are wider than Elite. At that price point, they can build something great. You can email them directly. I suggest you find a friend to order a set as well, they can put 4 wheels in one box, and shipping is virtually the same, so you save 50-80 bucks in shipping.

BeR

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 11:42:06 PM »
You can get anything you want from FarSports, and if that's of interest, they have rims that are wider than Elite. At that price point, they can build something great. You can email them directly. I suggest you find a friend to order a set as well, they can put 4 wheels in one box, and shipping is virtually the same, so you save 50-80 bucks in shipping.

Prices of their wheels seems too expansive for me on their website.

BeR

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 11:48:38 PM »

SLT seems  heavier than Edge. According to me : Edge > Aero > SLT. Am I wrong ?

Moreover, Edge is Ratchet. I think the durability is better.

I don't know about after-sale if there is a problem between Elite and Ican.

zerstorer

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2024, 12:57:27 AM »

What's the widest rim they have? I don't see any wide ones on their webpage

Fleckinger

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2024, 01:21:04 AM »
I wrote them on AliExpress, and they send this list to me.
So I ordered 32mm wide (actually this rim 32.5 in the widest point), 45mm deep, 26mm internal widrh, with bitex hubs.

Serge_K

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2024, 04:04:01 AM »
didnt realize they were on aliexpress! cool! Can be a good way to get subsidized shipping.
I think i have the 30mm wide 58mm deep rims from memory. Equally capable as road wheels (we've used them as such too).

kbernstein

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2024, 04:56:11 AM »

You save on shipping by having 2 wheelsets in the same order? IIRC yuanan told me they would ship in 2 boxes for 2 pairs so I'd pay double in shipping

didnt realize they were on aliexpress! cool! Can be a good way to get subsidized shipping.
I think i have the 30mm wide 58mm deep rims from memory. Equally capable as road wheels (we've used them as such too).

What frame and crankset is this?

Serge_K

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2024, 09:07:37 AM »
You save on shipping by having 2 wheelsets in the same order? IIRC yuanan told me they would ship in 2 boxes for 2 pairs so I'd pay double in shipping

What frame and crankset is this?

Farsports has boxes for 4 wheels in one. Not all sellers do that. Insist, because the price difference is material.
Frame is VB GF002. The only thing i dont like about it is that it's not a road bike, and so the geometry isn't a road bike. Then again, it's a gravel bike... So i since bought yet another road bike :)
Crankset is some random aluminium thing from alibaba. It works. It's not light but then shimano isn't light either, so at least mine is cheap.

dsveddy

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2024, 10:35:44 AM »
I’ve been riding ICAN Aero 35 for a while now (off of PeakTorque’s recommendation) and they have performed phenomenally. I would recommend the ICAN WD 38 over the 40 since they have a more modern rim profile. I hadn’t known of the elitewheels edge series—such light weight at this price point for a 28mm wide rim is a phenomenal deal.

BeR

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2024, 11:18:36 AM »
I’ve been riding ICAN Aero 35 for a while now (off of PeakTorque’s recommendation) and they have performed phenomenally. I would recommend the ICAN WD 38 over the 40 since they have a more modern rim profile. I hadn’t known of the elitewheels edge series—such light weight at this price point for a 28mm wide rim is a phenomenal deal.

ICAN WD 38 is almost the same weight as Elite Edge. But :
Ican : Hub D01 (4 pawls) -  Sapim CX-Ray spokes
Elite : 36 T Ratchet - Pillar wing 20 spokes

Which is better ? (Performance, durability. ...)

zerstorer

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2024, 06:50:03 PM »
Consider the Ican G25:

33.3mm external 25mm internal 50mm depth
https://icancycling.com/products/700c-gravel-wheels-g25

You can find it on sale on Amazon for a lower price.

PLA

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2024, 11:38:51 PM »

Their 45/50 wave rim with 26 internal is 34 external. That should be their widest. If you don't want wave, then 32 external is their widest external.
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.