Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Road Bike Frames, Wheels & Components

TPU vs Latex innertube

<< < (2/6) > >>

BeR:

--- Quote from: ejump0 on March 15, 2024, 04:16:27 AM ---a tpu user here, on 700c roadbike.

i have used:
- revoloop ultra
- ridenow gen1 36g (big box)
- ridenow gen2 26g (the slimmer box)
- thinkrider 28g twinpack.

so far all my punctures are from sharp objects debris on road (glass, nail etc).
revoloop is expensive.
however my ridenows have reliability issues (seam glue failed, the rubber seal on innercore failed n loose air, etc). it looked like theres ridenow gen3 with metal valve. haven tried that.
now my rear tire is with thinkrider.

from 118g butyl to 30g tputube, thats insane weightsaving for minimal money

--- End quote ---

I'm curious if everyone prefers Thinkrider over Ridenow.

Mic553:
I'm using Newboler 28g TPU

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005428747176.html

So far all of them worked flawless. Only puncture I got was from a big piece of debris which killed the whole tyre. No tube would have survived this.

I don't know if they are identical to RideNow, I guess so.

Serge_K:
Fwiw, it may be an urban legend by now, but older guys / shops told me that tyres stretch, and so you shouldn't keep tyres inflated when not in use. Which was kind of an auto feature from latex, in a way.
If anyone knows, i'd be curious whether there's merit to that. Given how expensive good tyres are, i do deflate my tyres when not in use.
If i'm utterly wasting my time though, i'd like to know.
I switched to TPU from latex recently. i dont have an opinion on relative feel, it just weighs (quite a bit) less, is cheaper & less finicky.

Takiyaki:
I ran latex for a while (don't remember the brand but they were pink in a gray and red box). They were FAST with GP5Ks but could NOT hold air. They would deflate in about a day. I have installed extenders on all types of tubes so I don't think that was the issue but that was annoying. I have Continental butyl race tubes which are supposedly as fast but not really.

I heard something about putting baby powder between the tube and tire to reduce friction. But I may try tubeless on my next build to eliminate that extra friction entirely.

EDIT- there is a difference: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/top-3-fastest-tubeless-vs-tubes

For a slow poke like me 3W matters. And these are 17c tires (???). I'd wager the losses scale with tire size. I wouldn't want to do long rides on these though.

jfcb:

--- Quote from: BeR on March 15, 2024, 04:35:50 AM ---Do you have a link of cheap latex on Aliexpress ?

--- End quote ---

I've always bought them in the store or online shops (Europe) from Michelin/Vittoria.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version