Author Topic: Wheelset suggestion for Alpe d'Huez  (Read 520 times)

ilja

Wheelset suggestion for Alpe d'Huez
« on: March 23, 2024, 03:25:50 AM »
My bike club is doing a trip to the French Alps this summer, including visits to some epic climbs like Alpe d'Huez.

I'm running Winspace Hyper D68 wheels at the moment, which come in at slightly over 1.500g. Would you go for a lighter set of wheels for these climbs, and if so, what wheel set at around $1000 would you suggest.

Thanks.

PLA

Re: Wheelset suggestion for Alpe d'Huez
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2024, 04:28:28 AM »
what width tyres do you like to run?

i always go with farsports wheels since i've never had a problem with them. for alpe d'huez you could go anything from 30-45mm deep depending on how specific to climbing you want them to be i reckon. i like the look of the farsports hyper wheels in 30, 40, 45mm deep for climbing, or a mixture of 2. maybe 40 front 45 rear sounds like a nice all round climbing oriented wheel that could complement your d67 nicely, perhaps a 30mm deep wheel might be too specific and leave a gap in your wheel sets.

prob get them for 800 shipped with a dt350 and whatever sapim cx spokes you want and sapim nips. maybe cx supers for a lighter wheel if that's what you're after.

lots of good options out there though...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 04:42:47 AM by PLA »
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

ilja

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 11:26:48 AM »
what width tyres do you like to run?

I usually run something around 26-28mm.

prob get them for 800 shipped with a dt350 and whatever sapim cx spokes you want and sapim nips. maybe cx supers for a lighter wheel if that's what you're after.

I checked https://www.farsports.com/ and saw their C3 wheels (1295g) for 1,200g. I guess you were talking about some other wheel set by that brand?

toxin

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2024, 01:01:22 PM »
Wheelsfar.com oem.farsports.cn/

ilja

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 04:54:43 AM »

Serge_K

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 05:07:46 AM »
I only have good things to say about Farsports, i've ordered a lot of wheels over the years from them, especially given your budget allows it.
Given you run somewhat narrow tyres, you may want to have a look at Elite wheels (or maybe better, custom build them with Yuanan), they have super light 28mm wide rims. Yuanan posted on the forum a few days ago, you can speak w them on whatsapp (i'm discussing w them myself atm). People seem to be happy with them. Havent tried them yet.
But honestly, if you email farsports, given your budget, they can make you a killer wheelset with carbon spokes (stiffer for climbing, lighter, and within budget).

I did the marmotte a few years ago under 8h. Brutal :) Dont find yourself doing that climb in the middle of the day in the middle of summer. it's not fun.

toxin

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2024, 06:35:53 AM »
Just saying that wider tires are better for climbing as the minuscule weight penalty is more than offset by reductions in rolling resistance

PLA

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 06:52:33 AM »
Thanks. Found the wheel set you were talking about: https://wheelsfar.com/hyper-disc-26mmwide-dt-swiss-240-new-exp-built-tubeless-wheel-set-24h-24h-p0184.html

Maybe you can look at the wider 30mm version if that's something that tickles your fanceh
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2024, 07:07:08 AM »
Maybe you can look at the wider 30mm version if that's something that tickles your fanceh
Yeah, 26mm is narrow by today's standards...