Chinese Carbon Road Bikes > Road Bike Frames, Wheels & Components

Rim brake road bike frame with at least 28mm tire clearance

(1/4) > >>

belgischer_kreisel:
Hello,

first of all. This forum is a great ressource, hats off to all your effort and the collective knowledge presented here!

I fear my question is a bit of a niche question as rim brake bikes are dying out steadily... but still... I live in a relatively flat area (Berlin), I am not eager to ride in rainy conditions if I can avoid it, I like to experiment with bike geometry and also fear the necessary maintenance disc brakes require. Moreover, I have lot's of rim brake specific spare parts lying around here... tl;dr: I am looking for a rim brake frame.

But: Berlin's roads are rarely smooth and there are also lots of cobbled paths. Coming from a ultra stiff early 2000s aluminium frame which can barely accomodate 23mm tires @15C rims (Pro-Lite Cuneo GP), I would LOVE to have a little bit more comfort. From browsing through all the china frame manufacturers (Dengfu, Hongfu, TanTan, Workswell, etc.) I know that most of their rim brake frames only accomodate 25mm tires. I myself own a Hongfu FM-088 which is rated as "25mm" and leaves only minimal clearance with Vittoria Corsa 25mm @ Campa Zondas 17C and I always have to deflate the tire on the rear wheel once I want to remove the wheel, otherwise it get's stuck in the frame. tl;dr: I know that it's maybe a hopeless request.

To sum it all up: Does anyone of you know a rim brake frame that accomodates 28mm tires?
(even better when it has threaded BB, endurance geometry, round seatpost, common headset measurements [eg IS42/28.6 | IS52/40], but that's for another time)

bremerradkurier:
No threaded bottom bracket, but the Velobuild R-066 and OG Evkin CF-025 from it appears to be from the same mold would tick off most of your requirements-I've posted about my OG Evkin CF-025 which is almost six years old now. No issues fitting Conti GP5000 in 28c on a 19c internal rim.

nickobec:

--- Quote from: belgischer_kreisel on March 27, 2024, 05:33:06 AM ---To sum it all up: Does anyone of you know a rim brake frame that accomodates 28mm tires?
(even better when it has threaded BB, endurance geometry, round seatpost, common headset measurements [eg IS42/28.6 | IS52/40], but that's for another time)

--- End quote ---
2017 Giant Propel SL fits  28mm tyres (well Conti GP5000 TR S on 23mm internal width rims) just, thanks to its mini V brakes. But fails on every other requirement.

All my other frames an I have a few, don't fit 28mm tyres (GP4000s on  17mm internal rims), and the most common issue is rubbing against the brakes. The one exception is a 2008 KHS flite800 which is made from Reynolds 853 steel and fits all your requirements.

What I am trying to say, is look careful on the second hand market, you might find something suitable. Be it a 2017 Gaint Defy (you might need to check tyre clearance) or a mid 2000s high end steel frame. Rim brake frames/bikes are cheap and plentiful on the second hand market.

Serge_K:
I think the last couple of supersix in rim brakes could take 28s, on wide enough rims. I think i would focus on the 2nd hand market for what you're after. China is focusing on where the market is going, which is discs. If you buy 2nd hand, you can get a tour de france bike from a few years ago for really cheap. And if your concern is geometry, then try a bunch of bikes that people are selling.
Beyond frame clearance, you also have to look at brake clearance. People have been known to sand down brake pads to accommodate wider rims, which can it turn accommodate wider tyres. If you ride on the flat, sanded down brake pads will still last you forever.

BalticSea:
It's an epic quest to find a new frame that fits all the requirements I'm afraid.

I got a rim brake bug myself couple of weeks ago, so I picked up a ~2012 alloy Boardman Comp. Frame is quite heavy at ~1.8kg, bit it has BSA bottom bracket, round seatpost (larger than 27.2mm though), plenty of room for 28mm tyres because the frame uses longer reach brakes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version