Author Topic: Chinese tires: ChaoYang H-486 Cobra  (Read 499 times)

kwantani

Chinese tires: ChaoYang H-486 Cobra
« on: April 11, 2024, 02:03:33 AM »
Doesn't seems to be a popular topic here to discussed chinese tires.

I've been a happy user for ChaoYang Cobra H-486 clincher tires. I've ridden the 700x25 and x28 as well.
Their performance seems to be on par with the name brand. The price, should I say its very chinese. $19usd a pop.

Want to hear other H486 users out there and perhaps other Chinese tire brand too.

kbernstein

Re: Chinese tires: ChaoYang H-486 Cobra
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 02:32:54 AM »
My second bike, department store used chaoyangs and they didn't catastrophically fail, a couple punctures but understandable ones. But at $19 that would never be something I would gamble on until bicyclerollingresistance tests them since the EXCELLENT conti US3s can be had for 15 locally and were tested to punch well above their pricetag. They are also getting a little outdated in width, 28 is the widest their roads tire get while many are pushing 30+ these days, and their only gravel tire that comes wider than 38mm (lol) has questionable treads. They also seem on the heavier side across the board so I would question whether those $19 H486s are meant to rival the higher end tires

Serge_K

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 10:40:11 AM »
German rubber - that's what she said - is the only non chinese thing on my bikes. Continental knows a thing or 2 about tyre compounds. They've been showing consistently that they make better compound (especially factoring in reliability / lifespan in the mix, rather than pure performance).
I have experienced what bad tyres & good tyres do to the same bike, and so, GP5000 for me. I dont ride enough to care about how much they cost, and i dont commute to work anymore.
I'm in Europe, so i usually pay 40-45 eur per tyre.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 11:38:38 AM »
That's not the tubeless version I guess? After having bad luck with the Vittoria N.Ext TLR I have also been looking at the GP5000 S TL, but those are 60€ a piece. Those are car tire prices  :o

Avalius

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 02:25:02 PM »
It's all about rolling ressistance for me. If they test them and they are fast I will try them. Or atleast close to fast ..
Running with gp5000s for that reason, the only non chinese part aswell here. Even on gravel it's thundero or g-one rs.
Fast and aero is laif :P

AzureEssence

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 09:34:04 AM »
German rubber - that's what she said - is the only non chinese thing on my bikes. Continental knows a thing or 2 about tyre compounds. They've been showing consistently that they make better compound (especially factoring in reliability / lifespan in the mix, rather than pure performance).
I have experienced what bad tyres & good tyres do to the same bike, and so, GP5000 for me. I dont ride enough to care about how much they cost, and i dont commute to work anymore.

New Continental MTB tires are made in China

My Kryptotal F's and Xynotals say Made in China right on them.

coffeebreak

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 10:39:29 AM »
Doesn't seems to be a popular topic here to discussed chinese tires.

I've been a happy user for ChaoYang Cobra H-486 clincher tires. I've ridden the 700x25 and x28 as well.
Their performance seems to be on par with the name brand. The price, should I say its very chinese. $19usd a pop.

Want to hear other H486 users out there and perhaps other Chinese tire brand too.

Continental Grand Sport Race 28c pair is generally $35 and under $30 on sale days. May not be the best but plenty good. Do you have link to these tires from which store you bought?