Author Topic: Any good bar tape out there?  (Read 718 times)

LorenzoV8560

Any good bar tape out there?
« on: April 12, 2024, 02:39:58 AM »
Looking for good bar tape, any recommendations?

Bigbobby1482

Re: Any good bar tape out there?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 04:23:51 AM »
I have the cheap OG-evkin bar tape, and it's actually really good, and comfy.

Daviddavieboy

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 04:56:48 AM »
 I stumbled upon a Supacaz type on Amazon and put it on 3 of my bikes now. It is very grippy, feels great on the hands even when wet. It is difficult to install, especially around the brake levers and took a great deal of stretching to get it to lay right on the curves of the bars. I also found it on Ali and appears to be the same but with a different name applied.

St0mpB0x

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 05:49:27 AM »
I really like the Onirii silicone bar tape. It's a little heavy but nice feel which you can customize pretty easily by how tightly you wrap it. Light tension for a bit thicker and softer. High tension for thinner and firmer.

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 02:41:19 AM »
My new favourite is the fake supacaz tape from aliX. i pay 4.5-5 eur for it. Looking at a video from the YT Florida bike shop (his name escapes me), i was able to wrap it from the top of the bars without tape, it's been holding up very well for c.200km, at this point i think it will last long enough.

jhearrtot

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 11:15:15 AM »
My new favourite is the fake supacaz tape from aliX. i pay 4.5-5 eur for it. Looking at a video from the YT Florida bike shop (his name escapes me), i was able to wrap it from the top of the bars without tape, it's been holding up very well for c.200km, at this point i think it will last long enough.

is the texture rubbery instead of feeling plasticky? if yes, please can I get the link? TIA! :)

Serge_K

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2024, 12:44:35 PM »
yeah it's quite rubbery. i dont have a link, there's a trillion sellers of that bar tape, it keep popping up on my feed all the time.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2024, 11:05:46 PM »
Cinelli Cork Ribbon is the gold standard IMO if you want a firm, “dry” (instead of rubbery/tacky) but grippy feel.

I’m experimenting with Wolf Tooth Supple right now on my new CFR707, which is 5mm thick and 40mm wide — I have big hands and usually run 33mm grips on my MTBs — but tricky to install, has a very “moist” feel, attracts every conceivable kind of dirt or debris and refuses to let it go.

I wish Cinelli Cork or something with a similar texture came in a thicker version, but normal width. I’ve had trouble finding any other tapes thicker than 2.5mm, and will probably just swap out to the Cinelli until I find something else that seems worth trying.

jhearrtot

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2024, 08:32:59 AM »
Cinelli Cork Ribbon is the gold standard IMO if you want a firm, “dry” (instead of rubbery/tacky) but grippy feel.

I’m experimenting with Wolf Tooth Supple right now on my new CFR707, which is 5mm thick and 40mm wide — I have big hands and usually run 33mm grips on my MTBs — but tricky to install, has a very “moist” feel, attracts every conceivable kind of dirt or debris and refuses to let it go.

I wish Cinelli Cork or something with a similar texture came in a thicker version, but normal width. I’ve had trouble finding any other tapes thicker than 2.5mm, and will probably just swap out to the Cinelli until I find something else that seems worth trying.

the closest to Cinelli Cork I can think of is Deda Traforato at 2.7mm (40g only!) i use this and i love it!

also, it might not be like Cinelli Cork but check Lizard Skins dsp v2 with sizes 1.8mm, 2.5mm, 3.2mm and 4.6mm

jonathanf2

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2024, 09:33:45 AM »
I'm a big fan of Serfas cork bar tape. It's a really cushy/stretchy material that's easy to contour on drop bars especially around the shifters. Also if you do any adjustments or swap bars out, the adhesive doesn't really tear or leave marks on the bar tape, so it's easy to re-apply. I usually stick with marble brown, it tends to stay looking clean.

https://www.serfas.com/shop/products/bar-tape/cork/bt-synthetic-cork-tape/