Author Topic: Spcycle New Mold G068 Carbon Gravel Frame  (Read 12619 times)

Kactusdog

Re: Spcycle New Mold G068 Carbon Gravel Frame
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2024, 03:59:25 PM »
Size M

This is a flattop chain with an Eagle cassette? That doesn’t make sense :0 How does that shift?

Kactusdog

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2024, 04:04:07 PM »
With spcycles handlebar.

You’ll have to tell us about the ride quality, and how you liked it.

What kind of terrain do you ride with it?

landboard

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2024, 03:22:11 AM »
You’ll have to tell us about the ride quality, and how you liked it.

What kind of terrain do you ride with it?

I am 179/83 and got the frame in size S. Personally, I find their sizing recommendations somewhat on the large side. I am pretty happy with my size, very sporty ride, while still being stable in the front (I only tried the 55mm trail setting). I live in Switzerland and have ridden 600km so far, about 60% gravel/CX-light and 40% road. The 45mm tires in combination with the 25mm inner width Elite Gravel wheels are great - very capable off-road. Frame clearance is about 8mm on the side with true to size 45mm tires. With the Conti RS tires its about 2kmh slower than my Venge - while being 20mm higher and 20mm shorter in front. On the downhill with 70kmh its rock solid (with balanced wheels).

The handlebar from SPcycles was only okay, as the rivets for the Garmin mount were glued in crooked - so i had to file them flat. The screw sits still not flush.... Otherwise, no complaints for the price of 120USD. Middle of the road with respect to flex. Bought it in 80/450 to match the progressive frame geo.

In conclusion: I can only recommend the frame, paint is great (except around the bottle cages and overspray on the brake mounts) and rides very well so far. Looked very clean on the inside. I am now thinking about selling the Venge.  ;) Its a pretty good do-it-all bike when paired with wide, fast rolling tires.

I hope that helps.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2024, 07:41:04 AM by landboard »

frnchy

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2024, 05:28:25 AM »
I am 179/83 and got the frame in size S. Personally, I find their sizing recommendations somewhat on the large side. I am pretty happy with my size, very sporty ride, while still being stable in the front (I only tried the 55mm trail setting). I live in Switzerland and have ridden 600km so far, about 60% gravel/CX-light and 40% road. The 45mm tires in combination with the 25mm inner width Elite Gravel wheels are great - very capable off-road. Frame clearance is about 8mm on the side with true to size 45mm tires. With the Conti RS tires its about 2kmh slower than my Venge - while being 20mm higher and 20mm shorter in front. On the downhill with 70kmh its rock solid (with balanced wheels).

Awesome to hear - I'm just about the same height and recently ordered a size S frame and I've been second-guessing if I should have ordered a medium instead. Glad to know that's not the case.

Have you tried the 50 mm fork offset option? If so, how noticeable is the handling difference from the 55 mm setting? I'm looking to run this frame as an N=1 bike with 2 wheelsets, a road 700c set and a gravel 650b set, and comparing my current bikes to this frame makes me think the 50 mm setting would be better for the more reactive handling I'm looking for.

landboard

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2024, 11:36:51 AM »
I have not tried the 50mm for 2 reasons:
1. My lack of power makes me slow on the uphill and I appreciate the added stability when crawling uphill
2. I want to have the 180mm Disk in front, which only works with the 55mm offset.

If you live in the flat (or have a good FTP

frnchy

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2024, 05:06:37 PM »
I have not tried the 50mm for 2 reasons:
1. My lack of power makes me slow on the uphill and I appreciate the added stability when crawling uphill
2. I want to have the 180mm Disk in front, which only works with the 55mm offset.

If you live in the flat (or have a good FTP

I think your post got cut off prematurely. I'm going to be running a 160 mm rotor in the front so I'm planning on experimenting with the offset since that rotor size works with either offset, only the adapter plate needs to be flipped.

Kactusdog

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2024, 08:40:06 PM »

The handlebar from SPcycles was only okay, as the rivets for the Garmin mount were glued in crooked - so i had to file them flat. The screw sits still not flush.... Otherwise, no complaints for the price of 120USD. Middle of the road with respect to flex. Bought it in 80/450 to match the progressive frame geo.

In conclusion: I can only recommend the frame, paint is great (except around the bottle cages and overspray on the brake mounts) and rides very well so far. Looked very clean on the inside. I am now thinking about selling the Venge.  ;) Its a pretty good do-it-all bike when paired with wide, fast rolling tires.

I hope that helps.

Thank you dearly for the review and photos!

I currently have a fast road bike (Factor Ostro 32mm tires) and big tire gravel bike (Epic HT clone with drop bars, 2.2 Racekings). As much as I love the drop bar hardtail, the ability to run suspension and big volume tires is just not really necessary for my riding 90% of the time.

I was on a (Carbonda 696) gravel bike with a 72 degree HTA and 45mm (measured) Pathfinder S-Works tires. That was great, but wasn't really excelling in any 1 category, and usually stopping me from riding the road bike. I am seeking something to better serve my gravel needs, as you described your usage matches my needs, without reaching for the full suspension MTB. Maybe the Racekings will make it on the full suspension bike :)

My requirements to make a switch were:

-UDH
-50mm tire clearance (I live in a dry desert so mud clearance isn't an issue)
-<72 HTA, with a larger tire in the front I could probably achieve like a 71 or so. It seems to fit the 54mm raceking.
-full internal routing
-Not super heavy

kubackje

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2024, 03:17:12 AM »
Thank you dearly for the review and photos!

I currently have a fast road bike (Factor Ostro 32mm tires) and big tire gravel bike (Epic HT clone with drop bars, 2.2 Racekings). As much as I love the drop bar hardtail, the ability to run suspension and big volume tires is just not really necessary for my riding 90% of the time.

I was on a (Carbonda 696) gravel bike with a 72 degree HTA and 45mm (measured) Pathfinder S-Works tires. That was great, but wasn't really excelling in any 1 category, and usually stopping me from riding the road bike. I am seeking something to better serve my gravel needs, as you described your usage matches my needs, without reaching for the full suspension MTB. Maybe the Racekings will make it on the full suspension bike :)

My requirements to make a switch were:

-UDH
-50mm tire clearance (I live in a dry desert so mud clearance isn't an issue)
-<72 HTA, with a larger tire in the front I could probably achieve like a 71 or so. It seems to fit the 54mm raceking.
-full internal routing
-Not super heavy

This is a thread about G068, not about what u ride and what you look for.

raisinberry777

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2024, 03:53:28 AM »
This is a thread about G068, not about what u ride and what you look for.

Sheesh - the guy is interested in the bike, has a set of requirements and this frame fits that requirement. Harsh crowd.

kubackje

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2024, 11:48:33 AM »
Sheesh - the guy is interested in the bike, has a set of requirements and this frame fits that requirement. Harsh crowd.

Max tire 47c in g068

Kactusdog

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2024, 05:12:49 PM »

Ha! Yeah that was unexpected.

I have spoken to the rep on Aliexpress, he gave me some helpful info on the frame’s tire clearance. Since I don’t trust tire suggestions in general, I asked for the frame dimensions around the tires:

-58mm between the chainstay
-68mm between the fork blades

Canyon OEM style fork is also recently available. I think go with the flip chip one though. A versatile
frame!

JalopnikGo

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2024, 09:49:24 PM »
Overall, would you recommend the G068 vs G056?

The geometry seems to be comparatively more upright vs G056
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 11:32:15 PM by JalopnikGo »

frnchy

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2024, 05:16:59 PM »
Just received my 068 about 2 hours ago; this post is first impressions + some remarks about features that aren't listed on the SPCycle site. Before starting, I want to give props to David at SPCycle for being very responsive to my (many, annoying) emails and providing accurate tire clearance measurements. Thanks!

FULL ALBUM HERE: https://imgur.com/a/H2liWld

This is a size small frame in the blue chameleon color. I'm very pleased with the paintwork - it's flawless almost everywhere, just some tiny deformation around mounts and holes that will be covered up by bolts anyway. The color itself is exactly what I'd hoped for, a blue/purple shift with teal sparkles. There is some overspray around brake mounts and some of the bolt bosses, but nothing that can't be fixed with some careful use of a sharp utility knife.

The weight isn't super impressive, but it never was gonna be: 1154 grams for the frame (no hardware) and 500 grams for the fork (with thru axle inserts, uncut). Seeing as the downtube is so incredibly girthy, and the rest of the frame isn't exactly svelte, I'm ok with these figures.

Now for a list of thoughts and observations:
  • I fit 650b x 54 mm (measured tires) between the chainstays with ~2-2.5 mm of room on either side! I'm planning on running 650b x 50-52 mm as my gravel setup on new wheels, so this is very nice. I don't have fat 700c tires to test with, but I'll get more exact chainstay measurements later.
  • The headset bearing cups are molded well and the provided bearings fit snugly with zero play. I'm using a Token S-Box compression ring and top cap, as I don't like the aluminum C-shaped compression ring that comes with the stock headset - too much risk of fork damage and it's HEAVY. Unfortunately, the Token bearings are 51.8mm OD and have a small amount of play in the 52.0 mm bearing seats, so I can't use them.
  • The hose routing hole on the steerer tube is kind of rough, but won't be a concern when it's hidden away in the frame. There was one strand of loose carbon that I sliced off without issue. I pushed a brake hose up from the caliper end and it popped right out the steerer hole without any guidance needed, so the inside is perfectly fine.
  • Speaking of the inside, the interior of the frame looks to be very well molded, without much in the way of wrinkles or excess resin. The only real exception are the areas where the chainstays are bonded right behind the bottom bracket, which have some lumpy resin but nothing major. See the endoscope pics in the album.
  • There's a cable routing port on the back of the driveside seatstay, which is a far better location than the port on the underside of the chainstay. However, it looks like the seatstay port may only be large enough for electronic cables - not an issue for me since I'm building this up with Di2, but something to consider if you're going mechanical.
  • There's a fender mounting boss on the underside of the fork crown. Not super useful on the holeless fork since there's no corresponding mounting holes by the dropouts - I'd like to see those holes present, but clip-on fenders should be fine for the winter.
  • The bottom bracket threads are clean, with no point overspray or damage. I'm not sure if the paint around the cups will be damaged by BB installation - I'll be doing that tomorrow with a SRAM T47 BB and an Abbey tools socket, clamped to the frame, so hopefully there's not much room for anything to slip.
  • The front thru-axle has measurements written on it but the rear doesn't. Ideally it would, but here's the measurements: ~168mm length, ~15mm thread length, 1.0 pitch (thanks, UDH). The brass washer on the rear axle is captive - good - but the washer on the front isn't retained in any way and just pulls straight off. Also, the rear axle head sits flush with the frame but the front axle head protrudes slightly. The axles are quite heavy, I'll likely replace them in the future.
  • The flip chip on the brake side is only retained by the axle! When the axle isn't there, it just falls straight out of the fork. Not good, especially because the driveside chip is elegantly retained by a little grub screw on the tip of the fork blade - why couldn't this have been done on both sides??? This is my biggest complaint since it's so easily avoidable, and actually IS avoided on only one of the blades!
  • The brake mounts on the frame and fork look to have been faced, but then not fully masked, so there's a rim of paint around the edges that prevent mounts from sitting flat and flush. I did some experiments with carefully slicing away the paint from one of the fork brake mounts, and it looks pretty good, so I'm going to complete that on all the mounts once I'm done with this post.

Overall, it looks like this frame will do exactly what I wanted - to serve as a road and gravel bike with 2 wheelsets, without compromising too much on either front. I'll make at least one more post, probably 2, detailing any build notes and ride impressions I have.

Check out the album - it's got all the pictures thus far!

Ludo

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2024, 06:32:42 PM »
Nice color choice frenchy, I got the same for my MTB from them, but partially transparent. They struggle so much with it that when I asked them this week to do the same on my G56 but in green chameleon they declined lol. I am glad your experience with them is matching what mine has been on mtb and g056 so far. Even though my mtb experience wasn’t flawless, the way they communicated and supported made it hard for me to look elsewhere for the next frame…

Sand101

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2024, 07:33:43 PM »

This is a size small frame in the blue chameleon color. I'm very pleased with the paintwork - it's flawless almost everywhere, just some tiny deformation around mounts and holes that will be covered up by bolts anyway. The color itself is exactly what I'd hoped for, a blue/purple shift with teal sparkles. There is some overspray around brake mounts and some of the bolt bosses, but nothing that can't be fixed with some careful use of a sharp utility knife.

I think we got the same exact color.  I got it on the GR201, so totally different bike and company, but on the same day.  Hysterical.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 11:20:47 PM by Sand101 »