Author Topic: Carbon Wheels- Carbon Vs Metal Spokes  (Read 307 times)

Macedingle

Carbon Wheels- Carbon Vs Metal Spokes
« on: April 16, 2024, 12:14:24 PM »
Hi All,

Currently riding on Winspace Hyper D45 2023 with Carbon spokes, previous bike having alloy wheels. I have notice that the carbon spokes give the wheel a more unforgiving feeling when riding, noticeable extremely stiff. This is great for power transfer obviously but I feel like it affects the comfort compared to a spoke like the Sapim CX-Ray or other metal spokes. Long term I am unsure if I want to keep riding the Hypers due to the ride quality or if it would be better to switch our to a different wheelset. I almost think with the roads in my area a more forgiving wheel would result in more speed from enhanced comfort
So asking you all,
1. For riders that have ridden both wheels, are metal spokes a better option for comfort?
2. Any recommendations for wheelsets that are 55mm deep and have metal spokes (Might keep Hypers and buy 2nd wheelset)
3. Do you think I am being a baby and overthinking the wheel stiffness?

Looking forward to all your opinions

Serge_K

Re: Carbon Wheels- Carbon Vs Metal Spokes
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 12:59:26 PM »
Aliexpress has a sale from Apr15 to Apr20, so you may have luck with farsports or elite wheels, for example. Other than that, peter from carbon speed, whom you can find on the forum (petercycles@foxmail, i think? - do a forum search), has good deals. Ditto on Leon from Yuanan (OEM for Elite wheels, also on the forum).

Yes, you would have more comfort with steel spokes because steel is compliant in a way carbon isn't, and sapim cx ray / pillar wing 20 spokes are nice spokes. I can't speak for cheaper ones, i would not cheap out on that.

One thing you dont mention is tyre, tyre width and pressure. If you go wider / put latex tubes vs butyl / put TPU tubes vs butyl / go tubeless / lower pressure, you will also gain in comfort, so you may not have to change wheels. The gold standard in tyres is conti GP5000, if you run crap tyres, that'd likely be your best return on investment.

Power transfer is a vibe that's used to sell bikes so we can identify with Pogacar. A comfortable bike is far more important than optimizing the last watt of power transfer. If your bike hurts you, you'll ride it less, which makes it a bad bike.

Macedingle

Re: Carbon Wheels- Carbon Vs Metal Spokes
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 06:05:47 AM »
I am running ride now TPU tubes with GP5k PSI for my tired in the 70s.
I find that on smooth tarmac I have no issues, but any rough or degraded services you can really feel it.