Author Topic: Seka Spear  (Read 2471 times)

Sakizashi

Re: Seka Spear
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 05:59:09 PM »
I don't know if I would say the Exceed has an exceptional track record for quality. IMO, its pretty average to below average if you are comparing them to the high end brands. A lot of people had seat post slipping issues, though I think Factors also suffered from that and being made in the same factory as the RDC and all...might as well.

One thing is true though. There are high quality Chinese products out there. If you have ever tried to have something made there you can see line by line how cost adds up. That then runs straight into a buzz saw of geopolitical biases that cut both ways. A lot of people associate China with cheap mass produced goods, but there are plenty of high quality goods made in China too.

On the other side, I had a chuckle when Chinacycling went to Sea Otter and produced a video featuring wheels made by Boyd with the comment "cool to see cutting edge carbon manufacturing like they do in Xiamen" on a rim made using RTM, a process that they bought from Munich Composites...it's not that new and is only used by a handful of manufacturers in North America and Europe because its cheaper to scale with labor than with those machine heavy processes. Never heard of a wheel company in China using it.

toxin

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2024, 06:23:45 PM »
Are you implying if someone is seeking performance and not just looks, then they will ignore Time or Look frames? As in because they don't perform well, just look pretty?  :-X That has to be one of the most ridiculous if not the most ridiculous thing this forum has produced. Sure we are on a forum named Chinertown but this is getting crazy at this point.

"Looks and that it works" so looks good and is easy to live with. With both the 785 and 795 weighting more than a lot of modern aero framesets and the 795 having no credible public aero data I don't see how they are attractive from a performance standpoint. Time also aren't that light either and have even less aerodynamics credibility.

As fo the slipping seatpost. I'd consider that a design not manufacturing error. I don't remeber hearing about poor paint, bearing seats, obvious voids, fraying carbon, failures etc. Maybe I forgot and need to take another look at the exceed thread.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 06:28:18 PM by toxin »

Nadeshiko

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2024, 01:36:21 AM »
Yea, I had the same reaction as you guys to that thread. Maybe one useful post for every 10 petty arguments about various things.

Just looking at the bike itself, it looks well made. I can't say I have any experience with Seka but the details look great and it's a really nice finishing kit they're including. I am always wary about aero claims and honestly don't really put much weight into them after seeing that Cade video where there was like 5W between the Foil and Addict in real world riding conditions. Arguing over 1-2W in test conditions just seems silly. But the weight is nice if true.

My big question is the price. I know it's not an open mold frame but it's still a tough ask for what they're charging (I think around $2,000 USD). Like I said, I'm not experienced with Seka but I think they're going to have a hard time selling them in the US for that price without years of quality behind them. This isn't saying they're not quality, more that they don't have the well known name. Winspace charges similar and has a pretty good following after years of putting out quality bikes. But even still, they are a tough sell to a lot of people who don't want to spend $1,500 on a Chinese frame. I think Bross is in the same boat, albeit they can throw the Cube name around to show they make quality bikes.

Either way, I'm interested to hear how it rides. The integrated cockpit looks really nice and I'd almost be tempted to pick one up for a different bike if the price is right. Maybe not the best name (I know it's a sword but it's still going to have a connotation that's not great) but the size options are great.

Also, anybody else getting Red Bull vibes from the special edition paint job?
Before factor opened a new factory in Taiwan, Seka and Factor were made in the same factory I think.

RDY

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2024, 05:57:08 AM »
Before factor opened a new factory in Taiwan, Seka and Factor were made in the same factory I think.

Factor don't have a new factory in Taiwan, and Seka and Factor are still made in the same factory in China.

Casio20

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2024, 05:36:02 PM »
WhT do you think about L and Lr sizing compared to western brands mainly size 56

TribesMan

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2024, 01:52:15 AM »
Spear in L is basically exactly the same as Pinarello Dogma F 56.

LR on the other hand is a bit longer and lower. Comparable to old Canyon Aeroad M or Giant Propel ML.

I like this staggered sizing options, maybe L could be even a bit more relaxed, it would fit more people.

Casio20

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2024, 06:19:08 AM »
Thanks for your response,

I'm not sure, if LR is too sporty as even a Dogma is more relaxed geometry, or if it's significant difference to l at all.

Thanks

radfactor

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2024, 08:41:41 PM »
I'm curious, from where this information you get it? I know Factor was made in Xiamen, but not until the detail it was produce in same factory as SEKA