Author Topic: Evosid version of 5DEV cranks  (Read 3731 times)

scourge

Re: Evosid version of 5DEV cranks
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2024, 11:47:52 PM »
I'm not an experienced builder. If I buy the version that comes with a bottom bracket, I should be good to go, correct? I've never used DUB and usually stick with Shimano. But the bottom bracket will fit in all threaded bottom bracket frames correct? Then I will be good for the cranks to go in the provided bottom bracket. I was gonna put it in either my Knolly Fugitive or my my BXT Hightower clone. They are both threaded so I should be good right? Or am I missing something? Is it the right width? Will I need spacers? Thanks guys

AzureEssence

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2024, 08:28:10 AM »
I'm not an experienced builder. If I buy the version that comes with a bottom bracket, I should be good to go, correct? I've never used DUB and usually stick with Shimano. But the bottom bracket will fit in all threaded bottom bracket frames correct? Then I will be good for the cranks to go in the provided bottom bracket. I was gonna put it in either my Knolly Fugitive or my my BXT Hightower clone. They are both threaded so I should be good right? Or am I missing something? Is it the right width? Will I need spacers? Thanks guys

As long as your BB is threaded you'll be good to go as it's 99% BSA (English threaded) as most modern bikes are. If your BB is press-fit, it will not work and you'll need a press-fit DUB BB. You probably have a 73mm shell (68 is usually on road bikes) so run your BB spacers accordingly.

scourge

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2024, 01:59:41 PM »
Thank you for the response. I think I'll try a set of these cranks.

duiletter

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2024, 02:50:50 AM »
I got the 165mm 'titanium' cranks along with the BB and matching chainring. They look great and the finish is really nice. I've done a few rides and no issues so far.

efuentes

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2024, 07:52:38 PM »
Do you know what is the chainline on the cranks?

Square_Cookies

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2024, 11:45:10 PM »
Do you know what is the chainline on the cranks?

If I remember they are the 3mm offset (i.e.boost).

efuentes

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2024, 12:21:48 AM »
I get confused, is boost 52 or 55 chainline?

Square_Cookies

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2024, 05:01:12 AM »
I get confused, is boost 52 or 55 chainline?

Boost is 52mm chainline (3mm offset)

A lot of modern frames that have a UDH have boost and a 55mm chainline (0mm offset).

Wolf tooth has a pretty handy guide to chainlines on their webpage as well (there is a table halfway down the page).
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/direct-mount-chainrings-for-sram-cranks?srsltid=AfmBOoriLY6NTdsP6xWm-agGHPAyWjNq_bWk_Am9fS1rh3oInzgTIGE2

But honestly from my experience getting the chainline wrong is only really going to cause issues with either chainring clearance (contact with the frame) or higher chain wear (replacing chains more often).

Also just as a word of advice, you may also want to buy a bottom bracket tool to install the cranks or have someone install the cranks for you. I’m not sure what bb you currently have, but the evosid bb that comes in the kit uses the Shimano MTB pattern.

efuentes

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2024, 08:59:33 PM »
thanks

JonMS

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2024, 01:50:08 PM »
Got the 2X version of these with the bottom bracket and threw them on my Surly. They look great and 2X is a treat.

Linsook

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2024, 03:19:18 PM »
No complaints, works as expected. Looks great!