Author Topic: VeloBuild VB-R-066 Disc 2023 Road Bike Build  (Read 4594 times)

Mlesna

Re: VeloBuild VB-R-066 Disc 2023 Road Bike Build
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2024, 09:16:03 AM »
Wow, majort thanks for sharing the build and the comprehensive report.

I recently completed a new build based on the VeloBuild VB-R-066 2023 Disc endurance(ish) road bike frame and the L-TWOO eR9 electronic groupset.

Why do you call the frame endurance(ish)? Is it going towards a "climbing" bike? The geometry seems rather endurance to me, but I dont have a lot experience.

Thanks again!

Mlesna

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2024, 09:27:06 AM »
I have another question: was there discount, since you didnt want their handlebar/stem?

hsaus

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2024, 02:25:36 AM »
Why do you call the frame endurance(ish)? Is it going towards a "climbing" bike? The geometry seems rather endurance to me, but I dont have a lot experience.

The frame is somewhat short (reach) and tall (stack), which in my mind signals an endurance frame. However, the chainstays are quite short (405mm), resulting in a fairly short wheelbase, so handling is a little snappier/stability is a little worse than a typical endurance frame.

Here's a Bike Insights comparison of the VeloBuild 066 frame and the 2023 Canyon Endurace CF 7, both in size S: https://bikeinsights.com/compare?geometries=65d910dc257cb4001beb4fe2,649cf1dd62ee34001adb5027

The 12mm difference in stack can easily be made up with an extra spacer under the stem, but there's not much you can do about the wheelbase.

I have another question: was there discount, since you didnt want their handlebar/stem?

I initially ordered the 2020 version of the frame from the "Close Out" section of the VeloBuild website. Since I wasn't planning on fully integrated cables through the handlebars, I preferred hoses entering the frame in the down tube instead of through the headset. I don't care about hidden cables, and I'd much rather have a frame and build that affords easy headset servicing and stem replacement.

Prior to ordering, I emailed Chris@VB to verify that the 2020 size S was in stock, and he confirmed that it was. However, about a week or so after placing the order, I was told that the 2020 version was no longer available, and they asked if the 2023 version would be ok as a replacement, without the stem/handlebar. While I was mulling that over, VeloBuild sent the 2023 frame without waiting for my answer, and they included a headset dust cover with holes for routing cables - as they had said they would. That's the cover that didn't fit properly, but I used the Ritchey upper headset instead.

I see that the 2020 version is still available in the Close Out section on the VeloBuild website: https://www.velobuildmall.com/products/vb-r-066-ultra-light-road-racing-bike-frame-made-by-toray-t-800-carbon-fiber-120
So either they haven't updated their website, or they've come across a few more 2020 version frames somehow.

simpo

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2024, 07:00:51 PM »
Hi hsaus, great write up thanks! I’m planning a build with the same frameset and gotta couple questions.

How long did the shipping take to aus?
How tall are you for a size S? I’m 174cm and unsure whether S or M is the way to go

Many thanks!

hsaus

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2024, 08:49:51 PM »
How long did the shipping take to aus?

I think it took a little over one month? I'm hazy on the details because I was overseas when it arrived. It took some time partly because I ordered just days before the Lunar New Year holidays, and also because of the back-and-forth emails with VeloBuild on the 2020 vs 2023 version.

How tall are you for a size S? I’m 174cm and unsure whether S or M is the way to go

I'm 175cm and not particularly flexible - though I've started working on that! I'd order size S again - I like being able to use a slightly long 110mm stem.

simpo

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2024, 09:55:57 PM »
Thank you for the help, i'm going to get in contact with Chris and figure out whether 2020 S model still exists or not.

hsaus

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2024, 04:57:46 PM »
My 066 frame unfortunately had an incident in the garage (no people or pets harmed fortunately), and I'm now in the market for a new frame.

I was very happy with the frame, and would happily recommend it to others. However, before I order the same again from VeloBuild, are there any new options in the endurance road frame category that I should take a look at?

neobiker

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2024, 01:15:58 AM »
I would check Light carbon LCG 072 D. Short reach and high stack, long wheelbase.

Takiyaki

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2024, 03:12:24 PM »
Elves Eglath has "tall" reach and "short" stack with some amazing paint options. Worth a look

Macedingle

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2024, 06:40:42 PM »
My 066 frame unfortunately had an incident in the garage (no people or pets harmed fortunately), and I'm now in the market for a new frame.

I was very happy with the frame, and would happily recommend it to others. However, before I order the same again from VeloBuild, are there any new options in the endurance road frame category that I should take a look at?
Winspace C5

Serge_K

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2024, 03:28:12 AM »
However, before I order the same again from VeloBuild, are there any new options in the endurance road frame category that I should take a look at?

https://www.yishunbike.com/product/r1018-dendurance-road/
I'd get that one if i were to buy an endurance frame tomorrow. Ticks a lot of boxes. Great reputation, monocoque molding (probably just a flex, but it should imply it's well made), super light, 32C, round seatpost....
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

Luciano

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2024, 09:23:46 AM »
https://www.yishunbike.com/product/r1018-dendurance-road/
I'd get that one if i were to buy an endurance frame tomorrow. Ticks a lot of boxes. Great reputation, monocoque molding (probably just a flex, but it should imply it's well made), super light, 32C, round seatpost....

Nice frame I was interested too. Last July I asked yishun for a quote for this frame, they replied that it was not available for b2c sale.

Serge_K

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2024, 03:52:21 PM »
Nice frame I was interested too. Last July I asked yishun for a quote for this frame, they replied that it was not available for b2c sale.

Pretty sure there's a thread on that frame on the forum so some people got their hands on them. Weird. Maybe ask again to buy 2 frames and build one for a friend. Sharing's caring.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

neobiker

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2024, 04:22:39 AM »
I honestly don't find the r1018 that much endurance and attractive: looking at the stack and reach figure, the stack is barely 10mm bigger than the r068-D or 20mm bigger than the r1058 or the r1088. I would much prefer the r068 in terms of design [I mounting one currently actually]. These difference are quite smaller compared to the Canyon Endurance (10mm to 20mm more stack and 10 shorter reach) or the Pinarello X family.

I am still looking for a proper endurance areoish bike.