Author Topic: Help on how to pick a frame  (Read 2526 times)

pearsth

Help on how to pick a frame
« on: February 15, 2015, 09:44:22 AM »
I am looking at replacing the 17" frame on my 2010 Stumpjumper Carbon Expert 29er with a 15" frame. 

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2010/stumpjumper/stumpjumperexpertcarbon29#specs

Does anyone know of a web site or other article that gives an overview on frame selection and what I need to "match" to make sure my components transfer over (bottom bracket style, rear width, headset, etc?).  I would like to simply swap items and not have to buy too much in addition to the frame to make this happen.

Thanks!

Tom
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:28:28 AM by pearsth »

Carbon_Dude

Re: Help on how to pick a frame
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:20:29 AM »
Hi Tom, welcome to Chinertown!  There is no website that is going to tell you these things.  When changing out the frame, you will need to consider the following items:

1)  Frame - Bottom Bracket, headset, and drop outs. 
Match the new bottom bracket if you can, unfortunately Specialized used a BB91 BB on that frame, none of the Chiner vendors I know of use that style BB.  Unless you are able to get an adapter to go from BB91 to either BSA or BB30, you will need a new crankset and BB.

Most frames are available with 9mm QR dropouts, just make sure you specify as the new standard is 12mm thru axle.

Headset, you will need to purchase a new bearing headset, your Specialized headset most likely will not work.  Cost is only $15 from the Chiner vendors.

2)  You need to look at how long your fork steer tube is and if the head tube of the new frame is the same length or smaller.  If the head tube is a little bigger you might still be okay but you will need to add or delete steer tube (stem) spacers either way.  If your steer tube is cut too short for your frame, you will need to replace the fork with one that will work.

3)  Shifter Cables, most likely you will need to replace your front and rear derailleur cables as I doubt you can reuse them on the new frame.  The length of cut housings will be different even if the cables themselves are long enough to run from the shifter levers to the derailleurs.

4) Brake Lines, most likely you will need to replace brake lines unless you are lucky enough that your existing lines are long enough to fit the new frame.

5)  Front Derailleur, most likely you will not be able to reuse the front derailleur as the one on your 2010 Stump is likely not the style you need for the Chiner frame.

6) Seat Clamp, you will need a new one of these.  Peter at Xmiplay will  typically include a free clamp with frame purchase.

7) Seat Post, you will need a new seatpost, the Stumpy uses a 30.9, most Chiner frames are 31.6.

I may have missed something else but the above items will give you a good starting place.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 10:23:09 AM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

pearsth

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »
DOH!!!

I posted the 26 version of my bike, I actually have a 29er.  However, I think much of what you stated would still apply.

By the time I buy the frame and replace all of that, it would seem to make sense just to sell my bike and get a new one.  It wouldn't be carbon, but I have been eyeing this bike at BikesDirect.com...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29pro_SL_xii.htm

bdub

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »
DOH!!!

I posted the 26 version of my bike, I actually have a 29er.  However, I think much of what you stated would still apply.

By the time I buy the frame and replace all of that, it would seem to make sense just to sell my bike and get a new one.  It wouldn't be carbon, but I have been eyeing this bike at BikesDirect.com...

I looked at bikes direct as well and that is a nice bike. One thing to keep in mind is for about $500 more you could build a chiner with a better wheel set and a nice carbon frame.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 11:23:24 AM »
DOH!!!

I looked at bikes direct as well and that is a nice bike. One thing to keep in mind is for about $500 more you could build a chiner with a better wheel set and a nice carbon frame.

It's up to you, but if you don't need a new fork, the cost would be as follows:

Frame - $350
Headset - $15
Crankset - Shimano SLX $90
Bottom Bracket - $30
Front Derailleur - $20
Shift Cable Set - $20
Brake Line Set - $30
Carbon Seat Post - $40

Sell your 2010 Stumpy Carbon Frame on eBay - at least $300 back in your pocket, maybe more.

As long as you don't mind doing the work yourself, looks like you'd be in for about $600 for the new bike then subtract at least $300 for selling your old the frame, you'd really only be out about the cost of the new Chiner carbon frame.

Are you replacing the frame so you can have another rider use the bike?  Some people look to build a bike for their wife so maybe that's what you are doing.  Just let us know if you have any other questions.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:27:49 AM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

pearsth

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 06:01:01 PM »
I am getting a new frame to fit me better.  I bought the 17" bike without ever trying it off eBay 2 years ago.  My 1998 Stumpjumper was a 17, so I bought a 17, not accounting for the extra travel on the suspension and the higher overall height due to the 29" wheels.  Went from 1.5-2" of clearance to no clearance. I rode this bike for 2 seasons, then bought my son a 13" Motobecane 29er - Fantom 29er Pro - one level down from the link posted.  I also like Shimano a lot more than SRAM.  His XT group just feels better than my XO/X9 group does to me. 

That thing fit so much better, but a bit small - hence the 15".

I think I am going to just sell the Stumpy and go custom build.  I have a Motobecane fat bike and my old 26 Stumpy (and a DJ bike), so I can take my time and hunt for deals.

Tom

Oolak

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 09:32:53 PM »
You'll love having your own personally custom built bike man. Especially since there's no rush on the build. Keep us updated!