Author Topic: Alternative to ICAN G25 (50mm X 30+mm outer width Rims)  (Read 1895 times)

highwind

Alternative to ICAN G25 (50mm X 30+mm outer width Rims)
« on: July 26, 2024, 06:24:23 AM »
Hey everybody,

I am looking for a wheelset for my Vaast A/1 gravel/allroad bike.
Rim dimensions should be 50mm height and  >30mm outer width... it is mostly for looks, as I dont exactly care about the last XXg.

ICAN G25 700C seem to be very fitting, but they are a little more than what I would like to spend and arent available with a 6 bolt disc mounting.

Do you know anything compareable in dimensions which is availbale with 6 bolt, XD hub and costs less than 500€? I dont need (expensive) Sapim CX-Ray spokes.

Allan_Hun

Re: Alternative to ICAN G25 (50mm X 30+mm outer width Rims)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2024, 06:58:42 AM »
Have a look at CSC wheels on AliExpress. I recently purchased carbon gravel wheels from them. They have many options and you can select hub, bearings and spokes.
Waiting for my new frame so have not tried the wheels yet, but apart from short bearing life reviews seem positive.

highwind

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2024, 10:30:49 AM »
Jeah, I came across those CSC wheels while doing my search. The price and reviews for them were definitely appealing and they even have a EU/France warehouse (so there wont be any hassle with VAT/customs) but the widest rim I found was 30mm outer width.
I would really love to have that 2-3mm more (so the 32/33mm tyres I am planning to use will have no/minimal "buckle" at the edge/transition to the rim).

I found those, though
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005007071884202.html
They do have a 50x32mm option and the seller seems to offer mostly CSC wheels for similar prices as CSC offical/France. He is also based in / sending from France and the store/account even opened up just 2 days after the "CSC France" store/account (so this might likely be the same company with just with a different Aliexpress store/account for whatever reason).
380€ shipped and taxed is very appealing.

Too good to be true or probably legit business?

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2024, 02:16:14 PM »
Any other reason you want 50mm depth wheels for gravel? I used to run 38mm depth gravel wheels and even then they'd be prone to scratches from rocks and other debris. I'm now running 30x30mm depth hookless wheels with 25mm internal width. They're quite a bit lighter for climbing and less prone to rock scratches.

pavlo.k

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2024, 05:02:36 AM »
Jeah, I came across those CSC wheels while doing my search. The price and reviews for them were definitely appealing and they even have a EU/France warehouse (so there wont be any hassle with VAT/customs) but the widest rim I found was 30mm outer width.
I would really love to have that 2-3mm more (so the 32/33mm tyres I am planning to use will have no/minimal "buckle" at the edge/transition to the rim).

I found those, though
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005007071884202.html
They do have a 50x32mm option and the seller seems to offer mostly CSC wheels for similar prices as CSC offical/France. He is also based in / sending from France and the store/account even opened up just 2 days after the "CSC France" store/account (so this might likely be the same company with just with a different Aliexpress store/account for whatever reason).
380€ shipped and taxed is very appealing.

Too good to be true or probably legit business?

CSC France store is BS. They state that they ship everything from France but once you place the order it suddenly turns out that they are "out of stock" but can ship from China for no extra cost.

highwind

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2024, 06:39:01 PM »
Any other reason you want 50mm depth wheels for gravel? I used to run 38mm depth gravel wheels and even then they'd be prone to scratches from rocks and other debris. I'm now running 30x30mm depth hookless wheels with 25mm internal width. They're quite a bit lighter for climbing and less prone to rock scratches.
My riding/track profile is ~70-80% asphalt, ~20-30% (fine) gravel and very rarely (wide/solid) forrest roads. I have chosen the A/1 over a pure racing bike because of the slightly more relaxed geometry and the ability to mount more comfortable 32-35mm wide tyres (semi slicks). Perhaps an endurance bike would have been the optimal choice but I got a very good deal on the A/1 (1000€ shipped for the 700c Apex 1) and also liked that magnesium frame. Furthermore the region I live and ride in is neither particular hilly (thats why I got the 1x11 instead of a 2x) nor windy.
I totally appreciate your warnings on the disadvantages of higher rims, but I dont think those will be too relevant in the usual setting I will be driving them.

Nevertheless I am still thinking about going lower because 50mm might infact look a little goofy on a non-race, non-aero frame like the A/1s.
A pic of your 38mm rim equipped gravel would be very welcome :)

CSC France store is BS. They state that they ship everything from France but once you place the order it suddenly turns out that they are "out of stock" but can ship from China for no extra cost.
LOL, guess what - I asked that seller (Freesports Store) about options on different hubs and spokes and in their answer they also told me (without me actually asking for it) that those wheels arent in stock in the EU warehouse but they can ship it from China with DPD at no extra cost/VAT/duties!
So obviously the same seller on a different name...

Thing is: as long as I dont have to pay anything extra and dont have to mess around with customs, I couldnt care less where it is actually shipped from and if it takes one or two weeks longer to reach me...
So, besides their "fake EU warehouse" CSC is fine, arent they?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2024, 06:50:30 PM by highwind »

highwind

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2024, 06:12:34 AM »
Just wanted to say I contacted Leon Hu from yuananbikes and am about to pull the trigger on a 44x31mm (24mm inner width) wheelset from them. That specific 31mm wide rim is available from 29 to 54mm height in 5mm increases (I choose 44mm because I feel higher would look a little odd on a non-race/non-aero frame like the A/1).

Will update when stuff arrives.

tbgallant

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2024, 09:39:48 AM »
@highwind  How do you like the CSC wheels?

Ludo

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2024, 09:51:59 AM »
I just placed an order for CSC wheels as Leon wasn’t responsive, their tech guy on aliexpress is really good to deal with. Looking forward to receive the wheels and see what they are like. The only question mark is the quality of the hubs but it seems that feedback so far is very positive

highwind

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2024, 08:25:09 PM »
@highwind  How do you like the CSC wheels?

I didnt order CSC wheels but went with Yuanan Bike / Leon
The Wheelset hasnt arrived yet

ChinerStevie

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2024, 05:00:56 PM »
I just placed an order for CSC wheels as Leon wasn’t responsive, their tech guy on aliexpress is really good to deal with. Looking forward to receive the wheels and see what they are like. The only question mark is the quality of the hubs but it seems that feedback so far is very positive

Let me know when you get them :) Which option did you choose?

Ludo

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2024, 06:32:09 PM »
I received mine with a week of ordering, China to Houston!
Quality looks good, packaged very well, extra spokes included and tape (not great quality tbh), I went for the 50x30 with d272 hubs. You can see them I my build thread

highwind

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2024, 07:01:32 AM »
Let me know when you get them :) Which option did you choose?

YHG44- 04D Ultralight Version (44mm height, 31mm outerwidth / 24mm innerwidth) in UD matte, tubeless/clincher, RD13 (36t ratchet) with XDR freehub, Pillar AERO 1423 spokes

I think they are probably the same as what Nextie sells as their ARX wheelset

Still no shipping confirmation / tracking number, though  :-\