Author Topic: New gravel frame for a tall rider (Could use help)  (Read 1251 times)

Rolandos

New gravel frame for a tall rider (Could use help)
« on: July 27, 2024, 01:51:29 AM »
Hi guys! New here on Chinertown!

Me being a tall dutch guy, 1.96cm and inseam of 98cm. I need a larger frame then most folks. Which can be challenging when ordering from China. Is there any tall guys/girls out there that succeeded?

I ride 61cm road frames, I have a Factor Ostro VAM 61cm that suits me perfectly. A geometry like that is perfect, 409 reach, 611 stack, 73.3 head angle. And I have a 21'' mountainbike, which also is perfect for me.

Now I want a fast gravel frame for offroad riding, sand roads, light gravel, some trails in winter and some tarmac for winter training.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

My wishlist :
- T47 threaded bottom bracket
- Low chain stays
- Integrated cables or atleast hidden cables
- Clearance for 50mm tires
- 2x setup with 50/34 gearing (Running 11sp DI2)

I was looking at :
* Yoleo G21, a lot of handlebar options, T47, frame size available. Plenty of clearance, fits all my needs, only thing unsure of if seatpost can be high enough for my tall legs and alot of reviews saying its more a bikepacking bike. More oriented for endurance/feels somewhat sluggish.
* Carbonda CFR707, has size XXL option available, limited handlebar sizes, quite heavy, BSA 68mm BB, tire size and gearing is fine.

Is there anything else to consider? Alot of frames seem to go to max 58. Where I am pretty sure that's not gonna fit.

pavlo.k

Re: New gravel frame for a tall rider (Could use help)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2024, 04:22:37 AM »
I'm 193cm tall and I own a lightcarbon lcg-071 https://www.lightcarbon.com/lightcarbon-new-gravel-frameset-with-integrated-handlebar_p170.html
I run it with 15mm offset seatpost and 110mm stem and it's spot on. Pretty happy with it although it's probably a bit smaller than you want. I'd say go for carbonda if you like it. I was considering getting one myself but I was in between xl and xxl and none of them looked like a perfect fit

wlcrs

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2024, 08:03:15 AM »
I'm 1m92 with an inseam of 88cm. I have a Carbonda CFR707 XL which I run with a 90mm stem, with which I'm very happy. I based my choice on my Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8 that I also own in an XL size. Geometry between these two bikes is quite comparable.

I made a post describing my full build over on fiets.nl.

When I compare the CFR707 geometry with that of your Factor Ostro VAM size 61, then I notice that the geometry of the CFR707 XL is much closer than that of the XXL size.

I have my seatpost inserted up to the 5.5 mark. So I guess you could extend it for another 5.5cm to compensate for your longer inseam.

Rolandos

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2024, 04:05:12 AM »
I'm 193cm tall and I own a lightcarbon lcg-071 https://www.lightcarbon.com/lightcarbon-new-gravel-frameset-with-integrated-handlebar_p170.html
I run it with 15mm offset seatpost and 110mm stem and it's spot on. Pretty happy with it although it's probably a bit smaller than you want. I'd say go for carbonda if you like it. I was considering getting one myself but I was in between xl and xxl and none of them looked like a perfect fit
Thanks! I'll have a look at lightcarbon, 580 might fit but depends on seatpost size. Probably will need a 400mm for that, not impossible. Sad they don't have T47 available. They do offer better handlebar options!

I'm 1m92 with an inseam of 88cm. I have a Carbonda CFR707 XL which I run with a 90mm stem, with which I'm very happy. I based my choice on my Canyon Ultimate CF SL 8 that I also own in an XL size. Geometry between these two bikes is quite comparable.

I made a post describing my full build over on fiets.nl.

When I compare the CFR707 geometry with that of your Factor Ostro VAM size 61, then I notice that the geometry of the CFR707 XL is much closer than that of the XXL size.

I have my seatpost inserted up to the 5.5 mark. So I guess you could extend it for another 5.5cm to compensate for your longer inseam.
Interesting comparison thanks, I saw your post on fiets.nl, actually saw it 2 years ago when it was posted! :) Nice looking build! What is your saddle height at the moment measured from BB? And you do have a standard 350mm seatpost or 400mm seatpost?
Only downside from Carbonda I find that handlebar options are limited, I run 400mm bars and usually 110 or 120stem for the correct reach. They seem to only have 80x400, 90x420, 90x440, 100x440 sizes available. I guess you could fit another bar f rom another brand.

wlcrs

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2024, 12:59:09 AM »
My saddle height is 82.5cm measured from the BB. My seat post is extended 24cm from the frame from this. I use the standard seatpost.

Carbonda uses the FSA SMR system for their integrated cable routing to the handlebar. So you can use any stem/handlebar and/or integrated handlebar that uses that system.

Rolandos

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2024, 01:50:41 AM »
My saddle height is 82.5cm measured from the BB. My seat post is extended 24cm from the frame from this. I use the standard seatpost.

Carbonda uses the FSA SMR system for their integrated cable routing to the handlebar. So you can use any stem/handlebar and/or integrated handlebar that uses that system.
Right! That's probably too small in saddle height.

I've been in contact  with Yoeleo, the frame is getting a redesign which is needed. I saw the video from Peak Torque in regards to Toe overlap on a size 58. This is still a problem, so the frame needs to be redesigned to fix that. They couldn't tell me when it was gonna happen but they would come back to me when they have more information since they had to ask management etc. Same thing for clearance when mounting a regular FD, what the clearance would be limited to. They had to ask technical team. So far haven't heard back but I supose it might take some time. I do really like the Yoeleo frame, good quality and fits my needs. But the toe overlap is a really big deal braker.