Author Topic: Cycling computer with strava segments  (Read 1831 times)

Jet the Panda

Cycling computer with strava segments
« on: August 15, 2024, 04:55:46 AM »
I currently have a Xoss G+ v2, the cheapest of the cheap computers. It's fine, tells me how fast I'm going and tracks my rides for Strava.

However I have been looking into bigger nicer units with big colour screens and navigation. The igpsport line up looks nice, especially the igs630 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006358820002.html at around £115.

Then I came across the igs630s which is supposed to have strava segments that pop up on the screen when you hit your favourite segments, seems like a cool feature. This S model is almost twice the price of the non S https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006494927032.html

Anyone got suggestions for any other computers that have segments built in? Doesn't have to be China, could be used wahoo or garmin too. I'm just not familiar with all the products out there. Cheaper is better  ;D

Serge_K

Re: Cycling computer with strava segments
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2024, 05:16:19 AM »
I am yet to upgrade my garmin edge 530 because it does what i want out of a bike computer. on the french equivalent of ebay, you can find it for 150 eur (which i find a bit steep given how old it is).
I really like the garmin ecosystem, for which there's no sub to pay. i also have a fenix watch (have had fenix watches for many years).
so the devices largely talk to each other. and i now create bike routes using garmin connect (now that strava forces you to pay for the function).
It's definitely compatible with strava segments, i tried during a strava premium trial years ago.

I wouldnt buy a gps that doesnt have the climb feature. it's nice to know how far you're from the top of a climb. You dont NEED it, but then at this rate you dont NEED a bike computer either.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

Fatbonzo

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2024, 09:10:25 AM »
However I have been looking into bigger nicer units with big colour screens and navigation. The igpsport line up looks nice, especially the igs630 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006358820002.html at around £115.

Then I came across the igs630s which is supposed to have strava segments that pop up on the screen when you hit your favourite segments, seems like a cool feature. This S model is almost twice the price of the non S https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006494927032.html

I'm using the 630, somehow I thought it was the 630s, but for sure I was too cheap while ordering.
As the App is the same, I can tell you that Segments just can created by yourself. There is no implementation of Strava Segments.

For me the Sigma Rox 12.1 offers USB C, Strava, rerouting and decent battery life. But I haven't tried it.
Element Bolt V2 Comes with the same set of features and is even cheaper. For me the 630s is bad deal.

kbernstein

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2024, 12:45:16 PM »
None from china AFAIK other than the 630s sorry.
I have the regular 630 and had the magene c606, neither had strava segments. c606 didn't even have a climbpro feature  ::)
You can get first gen wahoo bolts for cheaper and they have it

kubackje

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2024, 01:34:13 AM »
If on budget just get used wahoo bolt. It's bulletproof and those all the things right without tons of unnecessary features

raisinberry777

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2024, 01:40:19 AM »
A used Garmin 530 or Wahoo Bolt v1 are probably the best options in that price range.

Jet the Panda

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2024, 07:10:18 AM »
Seems like used wahoo and garmin are pretty good value vs China units.
Anyone have experience with the Bryton 750 line up? There are a few different versions E, T and SE. I can't figure out what the differences are.

kubackje

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2024, 04:09:39 PM »
Seems like used wahoo and garmin are pretty good value vs China units.
Anyone have experience with the Bryton 750 line up? There are a few different versions E, T and SE. I can't figure out what the differences are.

Bro let it go. There are only 2 good bike computers that matter and none of them is Chinese. It's Garmin and wahoo. Karoo wants to join the big 2. there is zero reason to choose any other brands

coffeebreak

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2024, 06:50:08 PM »
Yeah just like groupsets, go with the big two and forget about it.

Tijoe

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2024, 10:35:09 AM »
Bro let it go. There are only 2 good bike computers that matter and none of them is Chinese. It's Garmin and wahoo. Karoo wants to join the big 2. there is zero reason to choose any other brands

Meh.  It all depends on your use case.   I have been having great luck with my IgpSport IG630 (latest version is IG630S), and others are liking the new IG800.

From my perspective, Garmin sucks.  Too expensive relative to the value and capabilities of their cycling line of bike navigation computers.  (Garmin name = premium brand = too expensive for me.) 
For Bikepacking rides I have been riding over the past couple of years,  Battery life becomes my biggest concern.   Due to this, I have started using a rugged cell phone (without cell service) that has a huge built in battery and a large screen.  I can run Strava, Trailforks, RidewithGPS, and Google Maps (with downloaded maps) all at the same time.  Recently, I have been using my IG630 as my back-up navigation unit.    With a built in 22000mAh battery, it is lasting about 60 hours of ride time.  (5-6 days of remote riding without a recharge.)

kubackje

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2024, 10:52:22 AM »
Meh.  It all depends on your use case.   I have been having great luck with my IgpSport IG630 (latest version is IG630S), and others are liking the new IG800.

From my perspective, Garmin sucks.  Too expensive relative to the value and capabilities of their cycling line of bike navigation computers.  (Garmin name = premium brand = too expensive for me.) 
For Bikepacking rides I have been riding over the past couple of years,  Battery life becomes my biggest concern.   Due to this, I have started using a rugged cell phone (without cell service) that has a huge built in battery and a large screen.  I can run Strava, Trailforks, RidewithGPS, and Google Maps (with downloaded maps) all at the same time.  Recently, I have been using my IG630 as my back-up navigation unit.    With a built in 22000mAh battery, it is lasting about 60 hours of ride time.  (5-6 days of remote riding without a recharge.)

Cool story bro but OP wants full Strava integration which igs does not have so why bother ?

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2024, 08:34:45 PM »

What phone are you using or what are some brands you can recommend? Im thinking of planning a bike packing trip and i also have an igs630 and was wondering if it would be sufficient with an iphone. This is good info

@kybackje theres no need to try shut people down for sharing opinions or information just because it doesnt help the op. They might end up helping someone else. This forum used to be so friendly but is slowly becoming more and more toxic

kubackje

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2024, 05:34:47 AM »

kubackje

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2024, 11:27:08 AM »
Sold out! Gutted I missed it  >:(

Really ? I just checked and can normally add item to the cart