Author Topic: Do SRAM etap axs derailleurs work on normal cassettes? (11-34)  (Read 1579 times)

Serge_K

Hello.
A friend wants a 1x TT bike, so i'm thinking chinese TT frame + SRAM blips + hydro brakes + SRAM etap AXS RD (I assume 12 speed only?)
Question is: do i have to use SRAM's stupid XDR freehub / cassette format, or can i use normal cassettes that start w 11T?

While I'm at it, would this setup work? For 1x, SRAM etap AXS RD + 2 blips, and that's it? or do i need extra gizmos?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 12:45:15 PM by Serge_K »

Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

Hmpf

Re: Do SRAM etap axs derailleurs work on normal cassettes? (11-34)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2024, 02:00:16 PM »
Yeah you can use normal cassettes.

If you take an MTB AXS rear derailleur you can have Up to 50 tooth and dont need a flattop Chain.

You will need a battery and thats IT.

And Something to fit the blips into the bar ends. You can 3D Print IT or buy IT.

Sakizashi

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2024, 02:46:28 PM »
You need only the AXS RD, Wireless Blips, and a 12-speed cassette with a matching chain. The latest AXS firmware no longer requires levers or a blip box.

3D-printed holders would be a good idea. I feel like leap components are the most used ones, but there are many options based on how your friend wants them set up.

I would go with a road RD. You won't have any issues with the jockey wheels and not using a flat top chain.

However, I suggest you use the SRAM cassettes. Their progression is excellent, and the 10 T is great as it moves most of your most used gears into the center of the block, so you get a nice chain line. You get those excellent 1T jumps where it matters, even with the 10-33. Also, the force and red chains last a long time and are worth the cost.

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2024, 02:04:15 AM »
You need only the AXS RD, Wireless Blips, and a 12-speed cassette with a matching chain. The latest AXS firmware no longer requires levers or a blip box... Also, the force and red chains last a long time and are worth the cost.

Do you know if the recent firmware allows the wireless blips alone to be used in a 2x setup ?
Or paired to an AXS seatpost ?

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2024, 02:56:19 AM »
Do you know if the recent firmware allows the wireless blips alone to be used in a 2x setup ?
Or paired to an AXS seatpost ?

Looking for blips online, i think i read that you can change chainrings by clicking both blips at the same time.
Seatpost isn't on my radar but i think i read that it doesnt work with blips.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2024, 03:11:11 AM »
Looking for blips online, i think i read that you can change chainrings by clicking both blips at the same time.

That was the status a few months ago, yes. I’m wondering if there have been any updates since then because it’s unclear to me why a double ring setup would work while the seatpost doesn’t.

raisinberry777

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2024, 05:52:15 AM »
That was the status a few months ago, yes. I’m wondering if there have been any updates since then because it’s unclear to me why a double ring setup would work while the seatpost doesn’t.

Sram have ruled out using blips with the Reverb AXS seatpost - apparently the seatpost requires a continuous signal for a period and the blips only give out a shorter signal.

ejump0

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2024, 11:38:10 AM »
I would go with a road RD. You won't have any issues with the jockey wheels and not using a flat top chain.

However, I suggest you use the SRAM cassettes. Their progression is excellent, and the 10 T is great as it moves most of your most used gears into the center of the block, so you get a nice chain line. You get those excellent 1T jumps where it matters, even with the 10-33. Also, the force and red chains last a long time and are worth the cost.

Using Road RD, meaning you still need to use sram or 3rd party sram road compatible cassette right?
Only xplr works with shimano hyperglide cassette shimano 3rd party?
or im understanding wrong (not familiar w/ sram), n i remember rd pull ratio difference

Sakizashi

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2024, 05:14:53 PM »

Yes, you can shift the FD with blips. No, you cannot trigger the dropper post. This is because the dropper does not take a momentary press to a preprogrammed position.

Using Road RD, meaning you still need to use sram or 3rd party sram road compatible cassette right?
Only xplr works with shimano hyperglide cassette shimano 3rd party?
or im understanding wrong (not familiar w/ sram), n i remember rd pull ratio difference

The rear cog spacing is similar enough that you can use a Shimano HG, microspline road cassette, or compatible cassette. If you do that, you need to use a Shimano or Shimano compatible chain and cannot use the SRAM flat-top or YBN flat-top chains. This will work for both 1x and 2x setups.

I dont think you can use a campagnolo cassette, but no experience there.

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2024, 03:41:08 AM »
Yes, you can shift the FD with blips. No, you cannot trigger the dropper post. This is because the dropper does not take a momentary press to a preprogrammed position.

There’s one reason, but I don’t quite understand it. The old blips could be programmed through the app to control the seatpost. It seems similar to me: press both blips together, wait a bit to see if it’s not a rear shift, and if it’s not, then shift the FD, or the seatpost.

Fleckinger

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2024, 11:58:25 AM »
Question is: do i have to use SRAM's stupid XDR freehub / cassette format, or can i use normal cassettes that start w 11T?

Yes, you can. Recently, I installed SRAM Force AXS D1 with a Shimano 105 R7100 11-34 cassette, an M6100 chain, and Ultegra 6800 11-speed chainrings. This combination works pretty well. The front shifting is a little rough for my taste, but it works without any problems. The rear shifting is very smooth except for one cog where shifting is slightly rougher. However, there are no skips or misshifts.
Blackwater cyclist made a good video about this https://youtu.be/gMvXhltPk-c?si=N0jBkGxSU8IwzcEG

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2024, 02:24:58 PM »
The rear cog spacing is similar enough that you can use a Shimano HG, microspline road cassette, or compatible cassette. If you do that, you need to use a Shimano or Shimano compatible chain and cannot use the SRAM flat-top or YBN flat-top chains. This will work for both 1x and 2x setups.

Unfortunately this was not my experience.

I tried using a 105 12 speed chain / cassette with my Force AXS shifters/derailleur (NOT XPLR) and found it noisy. I switched to a Rival flat top chain and the noise mostly went away. Apparently the cogs in the derailleur are different as well so when I wear out the SRAM chain I will be getting some Shimano pulleys to change as well. The SRAM chains/cassettes are expensive.

On another note, I thought the blips would only plug into Force and Red levers and not work on their own. I am Sorry if I am missing something.

rockerplates.de

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2024, 03:55:27 AM »
well, i am currently looking for the same setup for next season, as i am devestated about the duraace di2 tt brake quality....

So i will run:
Blips wireless, sram tt hydraulic brakes , custom made cockpit for the blips...
i would also like to mix with shimano cassettes
so will 1x12 crank and 50 t chainring from sram work with shimano casettes? is there any china alternativ for cranks?
Just do not want to do the research twic3e :-)

rockerplates.de

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2024, 03:56:50 AM »
You need only the AXS RD, Wireless Blips, and a 12-speed cassette with a matching chain. The latest AXS firmware no longer requires levers or a blip box.

3D-printed holders would be a good idea. I feel like leap components are the most used ones, but there are many options based on how your friend wants them set up.

thanks for your information....

rockerplates.de

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2024, 04:17:39 AM »
Unfortunately this was not my experience.

I tried using a 105 12 speed chain / cassette with my Force AXS shifters/derailleur (NOT XPLR) and found it noisy. I switched to a Rival flat top chain and the noise mostly went away. Apparently the cogs in the derailleur are different as well so when I wear out the SRAM chain I will be getting some Shimano pulleys to change as well. The SRAM chains/cassettes are expensive.

On another note, I thought the blips would only plug into Force and Red levers and not work on their own. I am Sorry if I am missing something.

the wireless ones work with any axs RD since new software rollout....but they have batteries! so will not last for ever...but people with diy skills already managed to swap batteries