Author Topic: Choosing SP-048 or SP-06  (Read 862 times)

DevilBike

Choosing SP-048 or SP-06
« on: August 16, 2024, 08:31:44 AM »
Hi all. This is my first time writing here, hope I'm doing everything right.

I'm always been running famous brands alluminium bikes, and now I'd be curious to try a carbon frame. Since I've never been to a mechanic, and always did everything by myself (from fork servicing to uasul mainentance and whatsoever), why not to build a bike starting from the bare frame? I have almost all of the tools needed, and happy to buy new ones. I already have most of the parts (sid fork, light XC wheels, sram GX drivetrain, SLX brakes and such) coming from my actual XC bike, a Decathlon XC500.
I was thinking about SP-cycles frames, choosing between SP-M048 and SP-M06.

What would you choose?
Angles are almost same (SA 74.5 and HA 68 for the SPM048, and SA 75.3   HA 67.9 for the SP-M06).
Main differences are the threaded or pressfit bottom braket (heard about bad tolerances for pressfit, getting directly into carbon frame without aluminium inserts), the fitting for rear caliper, and those 2 screws over bottom braket for the 06 (no idea what they are for).
I dont like internal cable routing trough the steering tube, but will cope with it.

P.S.
Only thing that still scares me, I'm a heavy rider, around 87kilos plus gear, and I happen to enjoy hitting bumps, rockgardens or small jumps quite strong sometimes. Will the frame survive? I know I'ts the usual stupid question about china frames, but dont wanna have a frame failure and wreck myself descending at 50miles per hours, or in the middle of the alps with only goats and squirrels laughing at me.  ;)

Thanks.

Ludo

Re: Choosing SP-048 or SP-06
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2024, 07:30:19 PM »
The M06 is on the beefier side of things I think.
For the Bb I had to loctite mine in place but it has been flawless since. I would buy again in a heart beat