Author Topic: VeloBuild VB-TT-023  (Read 3834 times)

NikkoPh

Re: VeloBuild VB-TT-023
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2024, 03:47:39 PM »
I also ordered this frame a few weeks ago, still waiting for it to arrive. I also asked them to add some bento box rivets to the top tube which they said yes to, so that's an option.

Is there any way of routing di2 cables down the extensions? I was assuming that there was an exit hole somewhere at the bottom of the extensions but I cant see one

Yes, there are holes underneath the extensions for di2 cables and you have to route through the stem.

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2024, 02:58:14 AM »
I actually ordered a tririg alpha one to replace mt basebar and extensions. I have a few measurements i did before ordering it, see attached pictures. Let me know if you need any other measurements.

Thats great, appreciate that! I was thinking of doing similar and replacing the stock stem with Tri Rig or alike. Whats your general thoughts on the frame? I had minor reservations about slippage on contact points like seatpost and handlebar so always curious to hear.  Also, what Bottom Bracket are you running, looking at the dimensions and then looking online they seem to be the same BB as the Trek?  I see you went for the SRAM Crankset so guessing its a T47-86.5 SRAM Dub?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2024, 03:06:00 AM by Barry McCockiner »

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2024, 02:59:45 AM »
I also ordered this frame a few weeks ago, still waiting for it to arrive. I also asked them to add some bento box rivets to the top tube which they said yes to, so that's an option.

That's pretty sweet that they did that. I see in some of the GAs that they intended to have in-built bento in the top tube of the frame but it obviously didn't make the cut for the production models.

NikkoPh

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2024, 01:36:16 PM »
Thats great, appreciate that! I was thinking of doing similar and replacing the stock stem with Tri Rig or alike. Whats your general thoughts on the frame? I had minor reservations about slippage on contact points like seatpost and handlebar so always curious to hear.  Also, what Bottom Bracket are you running, looking at the dimensions and then looking online they seem to be the same BB as the Trek?  I see you went for the SRAM Crankset so guessing its a T47-86.5 SRAM Dub?

Ill get you ride feedback by next week, yes i am running a t47 dub bottom bracket.

mattgolt

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2024, 02:44:09 AM »
I also asked them to add some bento box rivets to the top tube which they said yes to, so that's an option.

You're getting me all excited! ! Not sure if I can handle this on a Saturday morning

Please post pictures once you get the frame

NikkoPh

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2024, 07:37:04 PM »
1st proper ride with the VB-TT-023 today

Bike is truly stiff, broke alot of PR’s today on a route that i havent been on for several months. Considering that this is my first time on a TT bike, i am truly happy with the frame and my build, no issues on a 63 mile ride with 1k feet of elevation, i completed the ride in 3:06.22 averaging 20.1mph on 204watts.

fluffycustard

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2024, 03:36:02 PM »
I got the frame this week, still waiting on components, but thought I would share some photos anyway. I went with silver chameleon, which doesn't really come out in photos, but looks nice in the sun.

This is with the top tube bento mount, it fits a bottle cage so its the right size I think for most screw on bento boxes. The top tube also feels pretty sturdy so I have no worries about that.

The brake mounts probably need to be faced which I'm not too worried about. I'm not sure if I should sand away the paint on the outside of the bottom bracket or not.

There also isn't really a great place to put the di2 junction boxes, sending 4 cables down the stem feels like they will get chewed up and be a pain in the ass when I try to put it in a bike box to fly with. I'm currently planning to print a small box to screw on under the cockpit metal plate thing and shove all the connections in there so I can have one wire going down the stem, which I can disconnect in the front. Sram makes a lot more sense.

Regarding the cockpit, it feels fairly comfortable to lean on, but ill give some feedback when I've had a few rides on it. It would have been nice with another few cm of spacers as last time it took me quite a while to sink into a decent aero position, starting gently really helps. It also lacks an angle spacers, the handlebars are fixed at 10 degrees.

The spacers seem to be this design:
https://progresscycles.com/en/producto/pg-241-kit-espaciadores-aerobar-20mm/

NikkoPh

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2024, 11:13:47 AM »
Picture from ironman event

mattgolt

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2024, 01:59:22 PM »

Finished the build just in time I guess! Hope you are happy with your bike split. I'm doing a 70.3 next weekend on my road bike and if I like it, I'll build a tt over the off season and do a full IM next season. Nice picture, and nice fit btw! Care to share your height and frame size?

NikkoPh

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2024, 04:51:45 PM »
Finished the build just in time I guess! Hope you are happy with your bike split. I'm doing a 70.3 next weekend on my road bike and if I like it, I'll build a tt over the off season and do a full IM next season. Nice picture, and nice fit btw! Care to share your height and frame size?

Yes i am, i did 2:53 on a 55 mile 2500 feet elevation course, could have done better for sure. Im 6’0 168lbs and the frame is a large, i think i can get away with a medium.

patliean1

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2024, 08:51:37 PM »

One of the coolest and practical out in the wild photos I've seen on this forum.

bman81ss

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2024, 03:18:56 PM »
Does it appear to fit the claimed 32c tires?

Cnasta

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2024, 08:32:02 AM »

Cool picture. Really love the bike as well! Clean lines, think it should do well against frames like Trek Speedconcept, Cayon Speedmax, etc.

Just 3 observations:
- I think a giro Aerohead will save you minutes (almost for free, sell this one, buy new one). Also, your helmet looks bit small.
- I would switch to rear facing BTA bottle placed as high and far back as possible
- race without socks, easier to put them on in T2. Saves you some seconds and you start the run with fresh socks

NikkoPh

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2024, 11:42:41 AM »
Cool picture. Really love the bike as well! Clean lines, think it should do well against frames like Trek Speedconcept, Cayon Speedmax, etc.

Just 3 observations:
- I think a giro Aerohead will save you minutes (almost for free, sell this one, buy new one). Also, your helmet looks bit small.
- I would switch to rear facing BTA bottle placed as high and far back as possible
- race without socks, easier to put them on in T2. Saves you some seconds and you start the run with fresh socks

Thank you for your suggestions. Ill definitely consider changing my helmet for my next event, this is a large Kask Bambino pro evo, i dont think they have anything bigger, it may look small but its still comfortable in my head with still alot of room for adjustment.

I choose this front hydration system because of the straw, i can easily drink without taking my hands off the aero bars.

Im not comfortable without socks, and besides i use the same socks for running, no issues so far.

I appreciate all your suggestions ;)

NikkoPh

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2024, 03:24:19 PM »
Does it appear to fit the claimed 32c tires?

Ill take a picture of the clearance later on but i think it would