Author Topic: TT Disc wheels which brand?  (Read 764 times)

325racer

TT Disc wheels which brand?
« on: August 27, 2024, 01:20:51 AM »
Shopping for a rear TT wheel and don't want to spend a billion $$ so looking at Chiner Carbon.

I'm no stranger to this market, have an 057 Rigid Mtb and LightBike rims on another bike.

I'm debating between LightBicycle Falcon Entry level for listed $738
https://www.lightbicycle.com/precision-c22d-entry-disc-brake-triathlon-tt-rear-disc-wheel.html

or LightCarbon with their hub for $529 or DT350 for $770
https://www.lightcarbon.com/lightcarbon-28mm-wide-super-aero-disc-brake-carbon-full-disc-wheel_p204.html

They look about the same,  but claimed weight is about 300grams more for LightCarbon.

mtm

Re: TT Disc wheels which brand?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2024, 03:00:37 AM »
Be aware the stated weight for the LB disc is without the hub so the actual weight difference won't be that big. Not sure why you would ever state the weight of a wheel without the hub, seems shady. It's not like it's an easily exchangeable part.

325racer

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2024, 09:52:48 AM »
Didn't notice that spec, but was looking at the Wheel Builder weight, which has it at 1090 vs 1230 for the LightCarbon version.

Another spec is the LightBike max weight 331 vs 265. I'm not close to either, but that 265 would have been close for rider+bike a few months ago.

Hmmmm..

merlin

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2024, 04:39:35 PM »
Another option which you may have already considered: You can get a wheel cover from EZ gains for cheaper than a disc wheel for essentially the same aero benefits. You could use the money saved towards another complete wheelset with a good hub that you put the cover on if you don't feel like swapping it. Or just put them on your already nice wheels.

I have one and it is quite nice.

325racer

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2024, 01:54:17 AM »
I was thinking about that option, but I figured I'd still need another wheel. I'm doing a 6 hour TT in November and winds could be an issue, so I don't want to be tied to only the 1 wheel. Or having to figure out how to get the disc cover off mid race....

I pulled the trigger on the LightCarbon with standard 36tooth hub. Also picking up a bar for a different bike. They are saying it can ship in 2 weeks, all total is $810 (including shipping) hopefully no taxes.