Author Topic: Cassette and freehub compatibility question  (Read 481 times)

trolling

Cassette and freehub compatibility question
« on: August 29, 2024, 01:13:26 PM »
Hi all,
I am trying to piece together a suitable build list and come up with a couple of questions on compatibility that I can’t quite answer with 100% certainty.

My desire is to have a 1by setup using the following:
-   Groupset: LTWOO GRT12-Disc 1x12s
-   Cassette: A 9-50 (10 or 11)
-   Wheels: Elitewheels, either SLR Gravel or the ENT

First the easy one where I think I know the answer. My understanding is that the derailleur from LTWOO would work with either a cassette conforming to SRAM’s XD or Shimano’s HG format? Although HG the minimum ring on the cassette would be 11 due to the physical size of the HD freehub.

The more perplexing one. If I go for a wider SRAM format cassette like this (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006380414988.html) which lists as “XD compatible”. Elitewheels (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004574763198.html) seem to only list a SRAM hub type of XDR as opposed to XD and when I google the difference I see that XDR is physically bigger (1.85mm according to google / SRAM). On AliX I see the XDR cassettes are narrower in format (10-44 is the biggest spread I came across so far).

So, the question. If I stuck with Elitewheels, and I must pick between the Shimano 10-11-12s or SRAM XDR 12s freehub. What is my best choice of cassette to give the widest ratio spread with a 1by setup and the LTWOO GRT12?

Thanks, and hopefully not too long winded. :-\

jonathanf2

Re: Cassette and freehub compatibility question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2024, 01:33:50 PM »
Easy, you can buy both an HG and XD freehub from Elite Wheels and jump back-n-forth depending on your choice of cassette. HG goes 11t smallest and XD will get you to 9/10t smallest.

Actually I asked a somewhat similar question in the components sub-forum, but I'm wondering if the 9t cog is any good in real-world use!

s3si1u

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2024, 02:05:05 PM »
You can use an XD cassette on an XDR hub. You'll need a 1.85mm spacer behind the cassette. This is how I run the Eagle cassette on my gravel bike.

trolling

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2024, 02:50:42 PM »
Thanks both, that helps. I didnt realise it was just a case of adding the spacer :-D

Phaxe

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2024, 09:28:41 PM »
You can use an XD cassette on an XDR hub. You'll need a 1.85mm spacer behind the cassette. This is how I run the Eagle cassette on my gravel bike.

exactly what I'm doing.