Author Topic: Please recommend a frame  (Read 1757 times)

EHG123

Please recommend a frame
« on: September 01, 2024, 02:42:02 PM »
Hi,
I recently broke my frame racing and I'm looking for a replacement but not sure where to start.
I'd really appreciate it if you could suggest some frames I should consider.

Criteria:
-Road race geometry
-Trusted QC and build quality, I'll be riding and racing this fast down mountains and do not want to risk my safety
-Disc brakes, thru axle
-Clearance for 32mm tires
-Takes mechanical groupsets
-Good ride quality - stiff under power, compliant in the saddle
-At least semi-aero
-Under <1000g including small parts, lower is better
-Under $1,500 shipped to the US, but lower is great (not including cockpit)

-I'm a bit flexible on weight, aero, and cost because there's a trade off between the three

Some bikes I've seen and would appreciate opinions on:
- ICAN Flyee
- Seka Exceed
- Long Teng RD301-D
- Speeder SC-R55D, SC-R52D
- TanTan TT-X21
- VeloBuild R-268, R-168

Thank you!

PLA

Re: Please recommend a frame
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2024, 02:57:51 PM »
I like the look of the flyee personally

neobiker

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2024, 04:50:07 PM »
Lightcarbon LCR017 seems to check many boxes.

Macedingle

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2024, 07:20:57 AM »
Winspace T1550, slightly over budget but a diamond

jonathanf2

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2024, 10:44:01 AM »
The Flyee ticks all my feature boxes and price seems reasonable compared to other mid-tier options. ICAN customer service also seems very responsive. Though the frame is still fairly new and not much user feedback yet.

Serge_K

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2024, 12:33:48 PM »
Someone got a tasty factor copy for quite a lot of money, specs that fit your ask. He posted on the forum recently, and he mentioned the selle (Aliexpress ).If you don't endorse fakes, you can ask for whatever paint job you want. I can send you my Tractor logo if you go down that route.
I'm very happy with my long teng 268, it's too heavy for your ask, but the 301 clears 38C so I'm not sure how legit it is as an aero race bike.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

EHG123

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2024, 08:12:55 AM »
Yeah, I like the look of the Fasterway Ostro clone (if budget were no concern I'd probably get the real one by factor), but I have a hard time trusting the quality of a counterfeit

Serge_K

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2024, 01:13:54 PM »
Yeah, I like the look of the Fasterway Ostro clone (if budget were no concern I'd probably get the real one by factor), but I have a hard time trusting the quality of a counterfeit

the one oralmaster (...) got looks so neat inside, and he paid so much for it, i'd be comfortable getting that one. The others, different question. He posted pictures on the thread, inside truly looks flawless (and he received it in a Factor box...)

PLA

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2024, 05:29:22 PM »
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

tssy5

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2024, 12:43:53 AM »
Just like Macedingle said, Winspace T1500 / T1550 is probably what you are looking for, slightly above budget but it checks most of your boxes: aero, stiff, disc, takes mechanical groupset.

I had a chance to try it from one of my local club riders, the geometry is very aggressive that I think I would only recommend to those who races / considered themselves flexible.

However the official website says max tyre clearance is 28mm, not sure if that's a deal breaker for you.

Serge_K

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2024, 05:27:31 AM »
Winspace T1500 / T1550
However the official website says max tyre clearance is 28mm, not sure if that's a deal breaker for you.

The OP's spec list literally lists 32mm clearance.
Also, anecdotally, a friend of mine on an Aethos, she's 50kg, on 28C, routinely finishes on podiums when she races, and would like to ride 30C, mostly for grip and cornering, the mountain roads she's on often has loose gravel, whether it's road resurfacing, plugging pot holes, general decay, and so on.
Also, Pogi, who's also a feather, has been on 30C for at least 2 seasons, that measure much more than 30mm.
My point being: it feels completely absurd to me to deliberately buy a new frame that can't clear 32C in 2024, even if purely from a future proofing standpoint (let alone resale value).
I myself run 32C at the rear and I love it, but i'm a unit.

EHG123

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2024, 09:03:44 PM »
Update - I ended up getting a secondhand TCR at a great price - cheaper than most of the Chinese brands.

FWIW the newest Winspace model (gen 2) fits 32s. Looks great, just a bit expensive.