Author Topic: Compressed nitrogen for tubeless tires  (Read 426 times)

bremerradkurier

Compressed nitrogen for tubeless tires
« on: September 11, 2024, 12:41:39 PM »
So here in the US a lot of tire stores and Costco stores offer open, and mostly zero cost,  access to compressed nitrogen for car tires.

Thinking getting one of these, pressuring it up to 95-100 PSI for a safety margin, and maybe adding a Presta chuck w/pressure gauge for tubeless tires.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-portable-air-tank-65594.html?_br_psugg_q=air+tank+portable

Is there any information out there regarding longer sealant life using dryer nitrogen vs  inflating with "regular" atmospheric air from hand pumps or air compressors?

Wet Noodle

Re: Compressed nitrogen for tubeless tires
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2024, 04:57:49 PM »
Just curious, which problem are you trying to solve?

According to popular belief, the nitrogen content of tire air will start at ~80 % and only increase from there with each topping up, but I never did the math.

jonathanf2

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2024, 11:31:29 AM »
I was reading that tubeless sealant might contaminate the pure nitrogen, so you won't really benefit from the longevity it'll provide from pressure loss. There's also the possibility the sealant won't react properly sealing punctures since there's less oxygen in the tires. Though I'm no chemist, so for all I know everything I read was just BS and it'll work great!

Though if you can get free nitrogen at Costco and the container only cost like $35 USD, I'd get it as a cheap way to have pressurized gas for beading tires. I'm too cheap to get a compressor so I usually just bead my tires at the gas station pump.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2024, 12:41:16 PM »
I was reading that tubeless sealant might contaminate the pure nitrogen, so you won't really benefit from the longevity it'll provide from pressure loss. There's also the possibility the sealant won't react properly sealing punctures since there's less oxygen in the tires. Though I'm no chemist, so for all I know everything I read was just BS and it'll work great!

Though if you can get free nitrogen at Costco and the container only cost like $35 USD, I'd get it as a cheap way to have pressurized gas for beading tires. I'm too cheap to get a compressor so I usually just bead my tires at the gas station pump.

I have a 17 year old 3 gallon Craftsman compressor that requires oil, weighs something like 50 lbs, drain valve lets out nasty brown water from unavoidable rust, weezy fittings that will self empty the tank in 3-4 hours, and is probably running 90-95 decibels when it's on. 

A new 60-70 decibel quiet compressor runs almost $200-thinking compressed nitrogen would be dry enough to remove the issue of rust on the inside of the tank, and of course a $35 air tank on its known is basically silent.

jonathanf2

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2024, 01:03:21 PM »
I say give it a try. The pros seems to outweigh the cons when it comes to price and convenience. You'll know right away if 100% nitrogen will allow the sealant to do its job properly by sealing the bead and any potential air leaks. At the very least, you'll have a cheap and efficient pump for tire beading.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2024, 01:16:55 PM »
I say give it a try. The pros seems to outweigh the cons when it comes to price and convenience. You'll know right away if 100% nitrogen will allow the sealant to do its job properly by sealing the bead and any potential air leaks. At the very least, you'll have a cheap and efficient pump for tire beading.

Sort of the plan-Schwalbe AirShott charge tank, the Zitto clone that's barely cheaper, and a floor pump with a charge tank are all much more expensive.

Also heard CO2 cartridges, besides being kind of expensive for bead setting, are also not great for sealant service life.

jonathanf2

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2024, 01:27:48 PM »
Sort of the plan-Schwalbe AirShott charge tank, the Zitto clone that's barely cheaper, and a floor pump with a charge tank are all much more expensive.

Also heard CO2 cartridges, besides being kind of expensive for bead setting, are also not great for sealant service life.

If it wasn't for the gas station near me, I'd probably try what you're doing. CO2 should only be used for road side repairs. They still recommend you pump them with air when you get home. My 25mm internal hookless wheels are the best at beading. With new tires and a bit of soapy water, they bead easily with a floor pump. My 21mm internal hooked wheels, require a quick gas station stop to use their free air.