Author Topic: Travelling to Shanghai. Anything I should look out whilst I’m there  (Read 494 times)

Holio.Cornolio

Hi all. I’m new to the forum but not to bikes and not really to china either. I’ve been lucky to travel to China for work for a few years now, but I’ve never really put China and bikes together for some reason, until recently. I realise that Shanghai isn’t the epicentre of Chinese carbon, but I will have a day to kill while I’m there and wondered if there’s anything particular that’s worth seeking out and visiting whilst I’m there.
I’m travelling from there to Suqian so equally interested to know if there’s anything worth seeking out in Suqian too.

jonathanf2

Re: Travelling to Shanghai. Anything I should look out whilst I’m there
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2024, 03:17:16 PM »
I mean you could go buy a frameset, but you'd have to transport it somehow.

I would just go Disneyland Shanghai. Disneyland California is overpriced, has terrible food and is a clusterf**k of annoying people.

Holio.Cornolio

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2024, 11:51:40 PM »
Heh, I went to Disneyland once (Paris) I don’t need to go again. I was thinking about maybe getting a frameset, but where? Transportation isn’t an issue.

PeterXu

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2024, 02:59:02 AM »
Heh, I went to Disneyland once (Paris) I don’t need to go again. I was thinking about maybe getting a frameset, but where? Transportation isn’t an issue.

Most factories are located in Guangdong province or Xiamen city. If you need frameset and won't stay in Shanghai for long, you'd better contact the supplier who has the one you are interested in first, here we are all on Chinese National Day holiday and won't get back work until Oct 8. Have fun in China.
Carbon rims, wheels, frames and components manufacturer
peter@xmcarbonspeed.com  petercycles@foxmail.com
WhatsApp: +86 18250808148
www.xmcarbonspeed.com

Serge_K

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2024, 09:01:54 AM »
a clusterf**k of annoying people.

NICE. 5 stars :)
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

sbellote

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2024, 11:05:04 AM »
I just came back from China, spent 1 month in Shunde (south, close to Hong Kong)
Not many bike stores, especially near my hotel and work, but I've managed to find some and took a look
ended up buying a bike (sunpeed brand), a bike bag, and traveled back with a new toy lol

if you want to buy a new bike, I'd say that buying a frame and building a new one would be really hard. But you can find some bike store in your area and get some good deals
especially chinese brands, I went with Sunpeed which was the cheaper, but I saw Winspace there too, a brand called Camp, also Pardus which is a bit more known, and XDS which is a big chinese manufacturer and has a lot of good deals too (but the store didn't help much, otherwise I'd have bought there)

anyway, in Shanghai you'll probably have more options, I'd recommend searching Amaps or Baidu Maps and seeing what stores there are which are easy for you to get to

BeR

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2024, 12:11:09 PM »
I just came back from China, spent 1 month in Shunde (south, close to Hong Kong)
Not many bike stores, especially near my hotel and work, but I've managed to find some and took a look
ended up buying a bike (sunpeed brand), a bike bag, and traveled back with a new toy lol

if you want to buy a new bike, I'd say that buying a frame and building a new one would be really hard. But you can find some bike store in your area and get some good deals
especially chinese brands, I went with Sunpeed which was the cheaper, but I saw Winspace there too, a brand called Camp, also Pardus which is a bit more known, and XDS which is a big chinese manufacturer and has a lot of good deals too (but the store didn't help much, otherwise I'd have bought there)

anyway, in Shanghai you'll probably have more options, I'd recommend searching Amaps or Baidu Maps and seeing what stores there are which are easy for you to get to

What was the cost of your Sunpeed ? And which model ?

sbellote

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2024, 01:24:29 PM »
What was the cost of your Sunpeed ? And which model ?
Sunpeed Invincible Expert, carbon frame, alu wheels, full 105 24s
it was 8k CNY + 800 CNY for the bike bag. Plus 100 USD special baggage fee from Hong Kong to Brazil (3 flights, which I though was cheap)
all assembled and adjusted, just put apart for the transport, but easy to put together at home after arriving

unfortunately it was what my budget allowed, I had already spent too much there lol
the prices for Sunpeed and Camp were pretty much the same as found in Taobao, so that helped my research and decision

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2024, 03:35:02 PM »
I personally wouldn't bother going shopping for bike stuff in shanghai but sbelltote's advice is pretty spot on. XDS have stores around the city, giant and a few other stores carry pardus and im not sure where stocks camp and sunspeed but they will be around. Bikesoul carry high end stuff but might have some chinese frames and completes too. Theres another shop called club100 but ive never been in thenshop so im not sure what they stock.

If you have a day to kill then you could go to ridenow cycle club(bike shop and also founders of no.6 wheels) and rent a bike for the day. They organize club rides almost every day of the week so you could ask to join or go for a ride around shanghai yourself.

You can add them on wechat @RideNowKen. Ridenow are the most foreigner friendly of the clubs in shanghai and everyone will speak fluent english. If you go into the shop and introduce yourself im sure they will take care of you. Club100 and bikesoul organize group rides as well so you can ask them too

I mean you could go buy a frameset, but you'd have to transport it somehow.

I would just go Disneyland Shanghai. Disneyland California is overpriced, has terrible food and is a clusterf**k of annoying people.

Ive been to Disneyland Shanghai three times.  Its much smaller and i wouldnt say much better than the one in Cali
« Last Edit: October 03, 2024, 03:45:46 PM by zxcvbnmjm »