Author Topic: SL8 Replica Build  (Read 1577 times)

nis240sxt

SL8 Replica Build
« on: October 02, 2024, 01:10:52 PM »
Little background info: I've been an early adopter on chinese parts ~8 years, started with wheels from light bicycle then framesets. I've been cycling since childhood but started getting serious in my adult years starting with mountain bikes then transitioned to road and gravel. I've spent a ton of $$ already and have ridden a few OEM brands. Was really impressed with the light bicycle wheels so this gave me the confidence to explore framesets. In 2019 i bought a 650B carbon hardtail frameset from Ebay and built it up. It's been ridden hard over some rough trails with zero issues. In 2020 i bought a LightCarbon LCR015-D which was my current bike until getting the SL8 replica 2 months ago. It's getting to a point now where the Chinese products are so damn good that i don't buy OEM bikes anymore. Even the accessories like chainrings, handlebars, etc.. i've had zero issues. When it came to this frameset i was a little skeptical but more curious since this was a replica of a current popular frameset. Was it possible to get similar performance for a fraction of the cost? So far i have to say yes. Durability remains to be seen but i've been hammering the crap out of this bike with no ill effects (i weigh 190lbs). It's a size 52 built up not really weight weenie but with pedals, cages and computer mount about 6.8kg. My long time bike mechanic says everything looks really good, only issue was the headset cover provided is cheap and flimsy and caused it to bind up there but he fixed it with some shims. I have included some internal pics but the frameset looks really clean inside from what i can tell, no sharp edges when running my fingers inside the BB, headtube, seat tube. I'm really blown away by how this thing rides and performs, it seems to have the same qualities as all the reviews given. If you're interested just search for light road frameset on Aliexpress, you'll know what it is when you see it. Colored me impressed!!

Build 8/2024

Frameset: 52CM Replica frame (685 grams) came with fork (345 grams), seatpost, 1 piece handlebar (no mounts), der. hangers, headset accessories
Wheels&Tires: Light Bicycle AR56, GP 5000 S TR 700x28 tubeless with Muc-Off valves and sealant
Drivetrain: 1x Force AXS 10-28, Rotor Qarbon 50T, Rotor 165mm Kapic Carbon, Stone 110BCD Rotor Adapter, Token BSA BB, KMC Gold/Black X12, Speedplay Pedals
Brakes: 2024 Force, Ashima 160/140mm rotors
Shifters: 2024 Force
Bartape: Deda Carbon
Seat: S-Works Power 155 Mirror
Cages: Arundel Mandible
« Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 01:35:17 PM by nis240sxt »

Pwhee

Re: SL8 Replica Build
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2024, 01:23:35 PM »
Nice build but couldn’t find the seller om Ali.

jonathanf2

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2024, 03:14:09 PM »
I was like how'd you get it to 6.8kg and then noticed it was 1x! Nice build, but not fond of brand logos on replica bikes. It's enough bragging rights that you built a solid bike for a good price!  ;D

nis240sxt

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2024, 03:19:31 PM »
I was like how'd you get it to 6.8kg and then noticed it was 1x! Nice build, but not fond of brand logos on replica bikes. It's enough bragging rights that you built a solid bike for a good price!  ;D

In hindsight i agree with you, should've went no logos.

hagerd

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2024, 05:31:11 PM »
In hindsight i agree with you, should've went no logos.
I like it, thats a bitchen ride.

Serge_K

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2024, 12:01:25 AM »
Very nice! Who's the seller exactly? I made a list in the sellers section of the forum of sellers of fakes and so far I black listed all of them.
I'm considering doing a similar build assuming I can get the bike without logo and I'd then put on a vinyl ass-works logo on it because I'm an 8 year old troll at heart, like I did with my tractor.
Did you get additional photos of the inside of the frame?
The frame weight is impressive, how much did you pay for the frame exactly?
Is there any area, especially the down tube, where you can flex the frame with your hand? Apparently the down tube of the new ostro vam flexes like that (and same on at least one frame of the LC 17D).

Ass-works... Or maybe sex-works? There are two sides on a bike after all. Or only-fans. The Factor font was easy enough to hack, the specialized one should be similar if not easier.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2024, 12:04:18 AM by Serge_K »
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

RoadieMKD

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2024, 12:30:11 AM »

Build 8/2024

Frameset: 52CM Replica frame (685 grams) came with fork (345 grams), seatpost, 1 piece handlebar (no mounts), der. hangers, headset accessories

It even comes with the "Peel Me" sticker with SN# near the bottom bracket that comes on genuine S**d frames. It makes you wonder who would go to such extent to mirror every little detail. I've seen a total of 4 replica frames throughout the years, 2 of which I built for a friend, and none had this level of detail. Smooth on the inside but no SN# and stuff like that. Happy riding!

BeR

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2024, 12:48:38 AM »
Very nice! Who's the seller exactly? I made a list in the sellers section of the forum of sellers of fakes and so far I black listed all of them.
I'm considering doing a similar build assuming I can get the bike without logo and I'd then put on a vinyl ass-works logo on it because I'm an 8 year old troll at heart, like I did with my tractor.
Did you get additional photos of the inside of the frame?
The frame weight is impressive, how much did you pay for the frame exactly?
Is there any area, especially the down tube, where you can flex the frame with your hand? Apparently the down tube of the new ostro vam flexes like that (and same on at least one frame of the LC 17D).

Ass-works... Or maybe sex-works? There are two sides on a bike after all. Or only-fans. The Factor font was easy enough to hack, the specialized one should be similar if not easier.

Off topic : The Van Rysel FCR is also flex in the down tube.

bmrk

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2024, 04:18:12 AM »
Seems well made! glad to know it rides well too. BB well finished is a plus.

The weights are spot on with the original one for both frame and fork. How much did the seat post weight?
The only major difference visible from the pictures is that the original has visible carbon layers on the head tube and front half of the top tube.

Can't you just peel the stickers? They seem to be over the clear coat (just like the original rtp)

How much did the frame cost?

Serge_K

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2024, 04:55:11 AM »
Off topic : The Van Rysel FCR is also flex in the down tube.

It's not far off topic, because we peasants assume carbon should be rigid, and we bitched on the light carbon 17D thread when someone said his down tube flexes.
But if it turns out that's what a light frame is supposed to do, then it might (or might not) be a feature and not a bug.
I've never seen on mainstream YouTube people saying that fancy frames are flexy to the touch, and that sounds terrifying, but given the market is back to trying to make light frames...
So the Nero show from yesterday says the ostro vam flexes, you say the van rysel fcr flexes (a friend of mine has one, and from memory he got the highest tier of carbon so I'll ask him), I'll compile a list in my head.
If some frames of a given model flex, and others don't, then whether a BB hole is the right tolerances or not becomes the least problematic thing in the world...
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

BeR

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2024, 05:22:57 AM »
It's not far off topic, because we peasants assume carbon should be rigid, and we bitched on the light carbon 17D thread when someone said his down tube flexes.
But if it turns out that's what a light frame is supposed to do, then it might (or might not) be a feature and not a bug.
I've never seen on mainstream YouTube people saying that fancy frames are flexy to the touch, and that sounds terrifying, but given the market is back to trying to make light frames...
So the Nero show from yesterday says the ostro vam flexes, you say the van rysel fcr flexes (a friend of mine has one, and from memory he got the highest tier of carbon so I'll ask him), I'll compile a list in my head.
If some frames of a given model flex, and others don't, then whether a BB hole is the right tolerances or not becomes the least problematic thing in the world...

I'm talking about the FCR which only has one carbon version available. Unlike the RCR which exists in two versions (including a Pro version). Disclaimer, I am not an expert but: The flexibility of carbon frame does not raise a problem for me depending on how the strenght are applied to the frame (compression, transverse force, etc.). This does not call into question the reliability of the frame but can alter the lifespan of the frame or in the event of an impact, making it more fragile.

kvnp

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2024, 06:00:05 AM »
If you're interested just search for light road frameset on Aliexpress, you'll know what it is when you see it.

Hey, very nice build ! Do you think you can share the link here ? I can't find neither the seller on AliExpress.

For the front caliber, did you have to use the Specialized SL8 adapter ? Thanks !

MHcell

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2024, 06:10:57 AM »
The weights are spot on with the original one for both frame and fork. How much did the seat post weight?

Thanks for the build report. I‘m also interrested in a SL8 replica but was a bit worried about the fragile looking rear triangle. I would almost prever if the frame was 300g heavier than the original. But maybe that is an irrational worry. 

acino

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2024, 06:41:36 AM »
680 g replica frame is wild, and I would not have the guts to try it  ;D

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2024, 06:49:56 AM »

Yeah, you might want to continue your search for a name :) Ass-works might be more appropriate for a gay-only club  :)